Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plug won't come out

I plugged in an old appliance.
I put two prongs into a three prong switch - never been a problem
before.
I used the appliance just fine.
I went to remove the plug and it will NOT come out!
Any ideas?? I'm stumped as to why this would happen.
Thanks, Cheron

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chermena" writes:

I plugged in an old appliance.
I put two prongs into a three prong switch - never been a problem
before.
I used the appliance just fine.
I went to remove the plug and it will NOT come out!
Any ideas?? I'm stumped as to why this would happen.
Thanks, Cheron

Wonder if it welded itself in there somehow, or if dissimilar metals
caused a fun little chemistry experiment in there.

Replacement duplex outlets are cheap enough that your fallback would
be to kill the breaker, break the outlet faceplate, replace the duplex
outlet, cut off the cord end and replace the cord end (paying close
attention to matching the blade conductor to the right end in the
unlikely event such an old appliance has a polarized cord.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"chermena" wrote in message
oups.com...
I plugged in an old appliance.
I put two prongs into a three prong switch - never been a problem
before.
I used the appliance just fine.
I went to remove the plug and it will NOT come out!
Any ideas?? I'm stumped as to why this would happen.

It might have arced and produced a spot weld. Pry it out with a screwdriver
and inspect for arcing. I'd replace the outlet in any case, by the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Charles Schuler wrote:
"chermena" wrote in message
oups.com...

I plugged in an old appliance.
I put two prongs into a three prong switch - never been a problem
before.
I used the appliance just fine.
I went to remove the plug and it will NOT come out!
Any ideas?? I'm stumped as to why this would happen.

It might have arced and produced a spot weld. Pry it out with a screwdriver
and inspect for arcing. I'd replace the outlet in any case, by the way.

Ouch. Better cut the power before using a screwdriver that way!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I once made the mistake of telling a mechanic - don't worry - it can go
in only 1 way (on a multi-pin connector). He proved me wrong. Is it a
normal plug one small side and one larger side (polarized)? Did someone
force it in the wrong way - normally not possible? If so, turn breaker
off ( plug a light in other part of outlet to make sure of the correct
breaker) as suggested and use a screwdriver to remove. If this is what
happened, you really do need to replace outlet.
George

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
Charles Schuler wrote:
"chermena" wrote in message
oups.com...

I plugged in an old appliance.
I put two prongs into a three prong switch - never been a problem
before.
I used the appliance just fine.
I went to remove the plug and it will NOT come out!
Any ideas?? I'm stumped as to why this would happen.

It might have arced and produced a spot weld. Pry it out with a
screwdriver and inspect for arcing. I'd replace the outlet in any case,
by the way.

Ouch. Better cut the power before using a screwdriver that way!

Aw, common. What do you suggest?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Charles Schuler wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

Charles Schuler wrote:

"chermena" wrote in message
egroups.com...

I plugged in an old appliance.
I put two prongs into a three prong switch - never been a problem
before.
I used the appliance just fine.
I went to remove the plug and it will NOT come out!
Any ideas?? I'm stumped as to why this would happen.

It might have arced and produced a spot weld. Pry it out with a
screwdriver and inspect for arcing. I'd replace the outlet in any case,
by the way.

Ouch. Better cut the power before using a screwdriver that way!

Aw, common. What do you suggest?

I suggest you can electrocute yourself if you try to use a screwdriver
to pry out a plug before turning off the power. Duh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I suggest you can electrocute yourself if you try to use a screwdriver
to pry out a plug before turning off the power. Duh.

Yeah ... right. Here is what you would have to do: Grip the metal part of
the screwdriver with your left hand and ground your feet at the same time.
Guess what? It still would not work in 9999 out of 10000 tries.

You'd rather post criticisms than post solutions. Typical these days.
******.

Just go away.

Better yet, Plonk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

chermena wrote:
I plugged in an old appliance.
I put two prongs into a three prong switch - never been a problem
before.
I used the appliance just fine.
I went to remove the plug and it will NOT come out!
Any ideas?? I'm stumped as to why this would happen.
Thanks, Cheron

Using a 2 prong plug in a grounded outlet is fine , happens all the
time in my kitchen with small appliences.

I would turn off breaker , and remove/replace the outlet. Then you can
try a screwdriver to remove the plug, or break the outlet with pliers
and remove the plug or whatever else you can think of to try.

Wiggling the plug up and down may loosen up something if its just stuck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

chermena wrote:

I plugged in an old appliance.
I put two prongs into a three prong switch - never been a problem
before.
I used the appliance just fine.
I went to remove the plug and it will NOT come out!
Any ideas?? I'm stumped as to why this would happen.
Thanks, Cheron

Plugging it into a switch is always a bad idea, you should have found a
receptical to plug it into.

If this was alt.pets I'd suggest tossing a bucket of water on it...G

Jeff (Who says, "Don't try that with electrics.")

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Charles Schuler wrote:
I suggest you can electrocute yourself if you try to use a screwdriver
to pry out a plug before turning off the power. Duh.

Yeah ... right. Here is what you would have to do: Grip the metal part of
the screwdriver with your left hand and ground your feet at the same time.
Guess what? It still would not work in 9999 out of 10000 tries.

You'd rather post criticisms than post solutions. Typical these days.
******.

Just go away.

Better yet, Plonk.

I don't mind being plonked by fools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
. ..

"CJT" wrote in message
Charles Schuler wrote:
"chermena" wrote in message
oups.com...

I plugged in an old appliance.
I put two prongs into a three prong switch - never been a problem
before.
I used the appliance just fine.
I went to remove the plug and it will NOT come out!
Any ideas?? I'm stumped as to why this would happen.

It might have arced and produced a spot weld. Pry it out with a
screwdriver and inspect for arcing. I'd replace the outlet in any case,
by the way.

Ouch. Better cut the power before using a screwdriver that way!

Aw, common. What do you suggest?

Electrocution would certainly be unlikely, but shorting the circuit could
happen. It just seems prudent to open the breaker before messing with an
outlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

If this was alt.pets I'd suggest tossing a bucket of water on it...G

Might still work in this case too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 18:14:54 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:

I suggest you can electrocute yourself if you try to use a screwdriver
to pry out a plug before turning off the power. Duh.

Yeah ... right. Here is what you would have to do: Grip the metal part of
the screwdriver with your left hand and ground your feet at the same time.
Guess what? It still would not work in 9999 out of 10000 tries.

Even if you are right, those odds are not good enough when you are
giving advice to someone else. When turning off the power could make
the odds zero.

A, you didn't tell him not to hold the metal part of the screwdriver.
B, you didn't tell him there must be an insulated handle. He might
decide to use a tire iron because it is longer.
C, he might use a screwdriver with an insulated handle and then grip
the metal while struggling.
D, his other *hand* could easily touch something, not just his feet.

E, read the paper, watch the news and you'll see stories of people
killed by electricity, some doing no more than this guy would.

I can see omitting telling him to turn off the fuse, but resisting
twice when someone tells you to include it!

You'd rather post criticisms than post solutions. Typical these days.
******.

Jackass.

Just go away.

Better yet, Plonk.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 2 Jan 2007 14:49:56 -0800, "George" wrote:

I once made the mistake of telling a mechanic - don't worry - it can go
in only 1 way (on a multi-pin connector). He proved me wrong. Is it a
normal plug one small side and one larger side (polarized)? Did someone
force it in the wrong way - normally not possible?

Not so much on wall outlets, but on extension cords, I often force the
wide prong into a non-polarized slot. If you tip it first and get it
half way in, then you can tip it back and get it in. You don't have to
worry about it falling out either, like you often do with extension
cords.

If so, turn breaker
off ( plug a light in other part of outlet to make sure of the correct
breaker) as suggested and use a screwdriver to remove. If this is what
happened, you really do need to replace outlet.
George

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah ... right. Here is what you would have to do: Grip the metal part of
the screwdriver with your left hand and ground your feet at the same time.
Guess what? It still would not work in 9999 out of 10000 tries.

Even if you are right, those odds are not good enough when you are
giving advice to someone else. When turning off the power could make
the odds zero.

I assumed that was commonly understood. How much detail is reasonable?
Should I have also written: "Put on your shoes before going to the panel
because you could tramp on a sharp object?" Posters here know some basics.
Also, posters know that free advice is worth what it costs. Give the OP
some credit, you cretin. I did not say that the power should NOT be turned
off!

A, you didn't tell him not to hold the metal part of the screwdriver.
B, you didn't tell him there must be an insulated handle. He might
decide to use a tire iron because it is longer.
C, he might use a screwdriver with an insulated handle and then grip
the metal while struggling.
D, his other *hand* could easily touch something, not just his feet.

E, read the paper, watch the news and you'll see stories of people
killed by electricity, some doing no more than this guy would.

Wow, you are really groping and grasping here. You are well beyond assinine
with the above divel.

I can see omitting telling him to turn off the fuse, but resisting
twice when someone tells you to include it!

How the heck can I include it when it was already posted?

Jackass.

Your obnoxious ilk is so typical on Usenet these days. You have no answers,
or helpful information, but you are replete with criticism for those trying
to help. Jackass, indeed. Cretin.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 18:18:21 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:

Yeah ... right. Here is what you would have to do: Grip the metal part of
the screwdriver with your left hand and ground your feet at the same time.
Guess what? It still would not work in 9999 out of 10000 tries.

Even if you are right, those odds are not good enough when you are
giving advice to someone else. When turning off the power could make
the odds zero.

I assumed that was commonly understood.

That's what I figured, but instead of saying that to CJT, you argued
with him twice.

[...]

You don't read well. I didn't say you should have included it after
someone else did. I said you shouldn't have resisted. You should
just have said what you finally did to me above.

Jackass.

Your obnoxious ilk is so typical on Usenet these days. You have no answers,
or helpful information,

And you could have gotten someone killed.

but you are replete with criticism for those trying
to help. Jackass, indeed. Cretin.

I only criticize when people deserve it. And you're just making up
the part about my not having answers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That is totally absurd.

but you are replete with criticism for those trying
to help. Jackass, indeed. Cretin.

I only criticize when people deserve it. And you're just making up
the part about my not having answers.

And I resent your "piling on." That's adolescent playground behavior. Grow
up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 Jan 2007 13:51:12 -0800, "chermena"
wrote:

I plugged in an old appliance.
I put two prongs into a three prong switch - never been a problem
before.
I used the appliance just fine.
I went to remove the plug and it will NOT come out!
Any ideas?? I'm stumped as to why this would happen.
Thanks, Cheron

You plugged it into a ***SWITCH*** ????????

Assuming you meant and outlet, I bet it welded itself in there. If
this is a heating type appliance that sucks lots of power, it's very
likely welded in there. I have had that happen a couple times now.

Shut off the power to that outlet, and shake - wiggle - rock - pull -
and beat the crap out of it with your fist. Either it will come out
intact, or the plug or outlet will break. Let em' break. You really
need to replace both the outlet and the plug when you are finished.

If all the banging and motion wont get it out. cut the plug off the
appliance cord, break the outlet cover until you can get to the outlet
screws, and remove the outlet. Replace the outlet, the outlet cover
plate, and the plug. Final cost, under $10 for parts, and hour or two
of labor, (less for someone with experience), and an undisclosed
number of cuss words.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 16:09:11 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:

I only criticize when people deserve it. And you're just making up
the part about my not having answers.

And I resent your "piling on." That's adolescent playground behavior. Grow
up.

I wanted you and others to know that someone agreed with CJT.

I think "piling on" is a football term. Yeah, here it is:
"About Football Glossary - Piling On" From James Alder,
Definition: An illegal play where several players jump on the player
with the ball after he's been tackled.

But I don't think you felt that you had been tackled yet. I think as
long as only CJT disagreed with you , you may well have viewed the
contest as a tie. So I wasn't piling on. I was assisting in the
tackle.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Charles Schuler wrote:
snip

Your obnoxious ilk is so typical on Usenet these days. You have no answers,
or helpful information, but you are replete with criticism for those trying
to help. Jackass, indeed. Cretin.

pot ... kettle ... black

swapping an oven plug for a clothes dryer plug pstock Home Repair 14 October 8th 10 05:54 PM
What is this plug and where can I get one? David Farber Electronics Repair 7 November 22nd 05 10:31 PM
Rewire oven plug 3 to 4 wire, new home, plug it in and get sparks [email protected] Home Repair 3 August 16th 05 02:51 PM
OT - Here's a plug... DOC Metalworking 1 July 21st 05 07:13 PM
OT - Here's a plug... DOC Woodworking 1 July 21st 05 07:13 PM