Dave Plowman

Default Radio controlled clock question

In article ,
Tim Mitchell wrote:
The time standard, MSF, on 60kHz is the only signal transmitted from
the BT site at Rugby now. I think most of the masts have or are about
to be removed apart from the single MSF mast.

Don't they transmit Radio4 LW still from there? (also isn't it actually
Droitwich rather than Rugby?)

Separate sites.

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Lawrence Milbourn

Rugby has never transmitted R4. It has always been for shipping and MoD
work. Each of the big masts is mounted on a large ball bearing so that they
can move in the wind. Some of them have a sort of lift arrangement up the
middle. Its quite interesting to watch them in a thunderstorm, apparently
they also produce roast beef and lamb in the surrounding fields.
As a child, I lived about a mile from them.

--
Lawrence Milbourn
Nottingham, UK
"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message
In article , Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:20:27 +0100, PoP wrote:

They use low frequency ...

Very Low Frequency, VLF, 16kHz.

... to communicate with submarines on the other side of the world
from Northwood in north London (the signal might go out from Rugby
though - I don't know the details).

The time standard, MSF, on 60kHz is the only signal transmitted from
the BT site at Rugby now. I think most of the masts have or are about
to be removed apart from the single MSF mast.

Don't they transmit Radio4 LW still from there? (also isn't it actually
Droitwich rather than Rugby?)
--
Tim Mitchell

Tim Mitchell

In article , Lawrence
Milbourn writes
Rugby has never transmitted R4. It has always been for shipping and MoD
work. Each of the big masts is mounted on a large ball bearing so that they
can move in the wind. Some of them have a sort of lift arrangement up the
middle. Its quite interesting to watch them in a thunderstorm, apparently
they also produce roast beef and lamb in the surrounding fields.
As a child, I lived about a mile from them.

As Dave said, I was mixing up Rugby and Daventry.
--
Tim Mitchell
Andy Hall

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:15:47 +0100, Tim Mitchell
wrote:

In article , Lawrence
Milbourn writes
Rugby has never transmitted R4. It has always been for shipping and MoD
work. Each of the big masts is mounted on a large ball bearing so that they
can move in the wind. Some of them have a sort of lift arrangement up the
middle. Its quite interesting to watch them in a thunderstorm, apparently
they also produce roast beef and lamb in the surrounding fields.
As a child, I lived about a mile from them.

As Dave said, I was mixing up Rugby and Daventry.

R4 on 198kHz is from Droitwich. I believe that Daventry is medium
wave......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Eric Dockum

PoP wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:02:52 +0100, "Mark"
wrote:

I did wonder if perhaps I'm in an area where the signal's not getting
through but I did try it during the 5 mile trip home in the car and
still no update!

Being low frequency it won't have a problem going round corners
because the signal bounces off the upper atmosphere, whereas with high
frequency (FM, VHF, TV etc) you have to have line of sight.

They use low frequency to communicate with submarines on the other
side of the world from Northwood in north London (the signal might go
out from Rugby though - I don't know the details). A sub can receive
signals at periscope depth, as happened in the Falklands when HMS
Conqueror was told to take out Belgrano by Northwood (the instruction
was issued from Downing Street).

Leastways, that's what was explained to me a few years back. So if I'm
right then the submarine will always have an accurate clock....

RCC symbol will flash for a maximum of 8 minutes and if signal is
successful it will update the clock and the RCC symbol will become
stationary - otherwise the RCC symbol will be off (which mine is after
the maximum 8 minutes of trying). I will have a read up on the Rugby
transmitter.

I've got one of those radio clocks sitting on my desk. Every so often
the receiving signal flashes for a period of time when it updates
itself. I don't have a problem with the clock being wrong.

Are you sure you haven't got it set to some other time zone? You need
GMT in the UK.

PoP

Lidl in Holland have recently been selling cheap clocks like this.
They can be switched between receiving the Rugby signal and one that
transmits European time from a transmitter located somewhere in
Europe. Perhaps yours has this feature, and is set for continental
time..

Eric

tony sayer

In article , Andy Hall
writes
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:15:47 +0100, Tim Mitchell
wrote:

In article , Lawrence
Milbourn writes
Rugby has never transmitted R4. It has always been for shipping and MoD
work. Each of the big masts is mounted on a large ball bearing so that they
can move in the wind. Some of them have a sort of lift arrangement up the
middle. Its quite interesting to watch them in a thunderstorm, apparently
they also produce roast beef and lamb in the surrounding fields.
As a child, I lived about a mile from them.

As Dave said, I was mixing up Rugby and Daventry.

R4 on 198kHz is from Droitwich. I believe that Daventry is medium
wave......

Radio 4 from Daventry has a carrier wave on 198 Khz which is referenced
to the national physical lab who in turn reference to God in order to
provide an ultra stable frequency reference fore test equipment and the
like.

Rugby wireless station transmits MSF on 16 Khz for time clocks etc. It
has been down for maintenance recently which has caused some clocks some
problems. It has a website something like www.npl.something or
other...FWIW...
--
Tony Sayer

Dave Plowman

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Radio 4 from Daventry has a carrier wave on 198 Khz

Droitwich. ;-)

--
*My dog can lick anyone

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman
writes
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Radio 4 from Daventry has a carrier wave on 198 Khz

Droitwich. ;-)

Well, North of Watford:=-))
--
Tony Sayer

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
tony sayer writes:

Rugby wireless station transmits MSF on 16 Khz for time clocks etc.

^^
60 kHz.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:57:34 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

R4 on 198kHz is from Droitwich.

And Burghhead and Westerglen, phase locked to Droitwich.

I believe that Daventry is medium wave......

Nope just DAB now...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

tony sayer

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
tony sayer writes:

Rugby wireless station transmits MSF on 16 Khz for time clocks etc.

^^
60 kHz.

The management wish to apologize for the **** poor quality control on
this posting due to the imbibing of a good bottle of Shiraz:-))''''
--
anon.....
tony sayer

In article , Dave
Liquorice writes
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:57:34 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

R4 on 198kHz is from Droitwich.

And Burghhead and Westerglen, phase locked to Droitwich.

I believe that Daventry is medium wave......

Nope just DAB now...

Some interesting history for the anoraks he-))

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/daventry/index.asp
--
Tony Sayer

Mark

"Mark" wrote in message
Yes thanks for the link. Looks like problems solved. Still no update

but
I rang the number on the NPL site and a recorded message confirmed the
MSF signal was down from 9am 6th Oct until 9am 20th Oct, but will be
working overnight whenever possible.

HELP, I've now encountered another problem! I decided to swap my RC
clock for a slightly better model which also displays the temperature.
However, the clock is now showing the time at 1 minute faster than
it should be! No matter how many times the clock updates itself via the
msf signal, the LCD display is always showing 1 minute fast! I first
noticed this when I compared the RC clock to the time shown on BBC
teletext.

The hour display and the seconds are spot on but the minute reading is
fast by 1 minute! To double check I even rang the speaking clock and,
sure enough, my RC clock was out by exactly 1 minute. I tried manually
setting the clock to the correct time but as soon as it goes through the
update cycle it reverts back to being 1 minute fast! Anyone know what
could cause this, although I suspect my RC clock must be faulty.

Harvey Van Sickle

On 23 Oct 2003, Mark wrote

-snip-

HELP, I've now encountered another problem! I decided to swap my
RC clock for a slightly better model which also displays the
temperature. However, the clock is now showing the time at 1
minute faster than it should be! No matter how many times the
clock updates itself via the msf signal, the LCD display is always
showing 1 minute fast! I first noticed this when I compared the
RC clock to the time shown on BBC teletext.

The hour display and the seconds are spot on but the minute
reading is fast by 1 minute! To double check I even rang the
speaking clock and, sure enough, my RC clock was out by exactly 1
minute. I tried manually setting the clock to the correct time
but as soon as it goes through the update cycle it reverts back to
being 1 minute fast! Anyone know what could cause this, although
I suspect my RC clock must be faulty.

I have no idea what might cause that, but just to eliminate the
remote/silly possibility that the Rugby signal is out, I checked my RC
clock against the computer (which I set over the internet from a
different source) -- they're exactly aligned, so that's not it......

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
Mark

"Harvey Van Sickle" wrote in message
On 23 Oct 2003, Mark wrote
The hour display and the seconds are spot on but the minute
reading is fast by 1 minute! To double check I even rang the
speaking clock and, sure enough, my RC clock was out by exactly 1
minute. I tried manually setting the clock to the correct time
but as soon as it goes through the update cycle it reverts back to
being 1 minute fast! Anyone know what could cause this, although
I suspect my RC clock must be faulty.

I have no idea what might cause that, but just to eliminate the
remote/silly possibility that the Rugby signal is out, I checked my RC
clock against the computer (which I set over the internet from a
different source) -- they're exactly aligned, so that's not it......

Cheers for that, at least it confirms the clock must be faulty. I can
only assume that it must be down to some kind of faulty calibration
settings at the factory? It certainly is a weird one!

Tim Mitchell

In article , Mark
writes
[...]

On the uk.tech.broadcast group, a few people have reported errors in the
MSF transmitted time during its maintenance. Even a transmitted time 3
hours out!
--
Tim Mitchell
S Viemeister

Mark wrote:

Cheers for that, at least it confirms the clock must be faulty. I can
only assume that it must be down to some kind of faulty calibration
settings at the factory? It certainly is a weird one!

Is it possible that the clock face is slightly mis-aligned?
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:14:52 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

Is it possible that the clock face is slightly mis-aligned?

Or the minute hand. They are normall only a push on fit to the drive
shaft, no splines or other locating device.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Harvey Van Sickle

On 23 Oct 2003, Dave Liquorice wrote

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:14:52 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

Is it possible that the clock face is slightly mis-aligned?

Or the minute hand. They are normall only a push on fit to the drive
shaft, no splines or other locating device.

It sounded like a digital display to me, not an analogue.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
Harvey Van Sickle

On 23 Oct 2003, S Viemeister wrote

Mark wrote:

Cheers for that, at least it confirms the clock must be faulty.
I can only assume that it must be down to some kind of faulty
calibration settings at the factory? It certainly is a weird one!

Is it possible that the clock face is slightly mis-aligned?

He mentioned a "display" with minutes and seconds, though: doesn't
that imply a digital display?

(Can you misalign a digital display?)

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.

Martin Angove

In message ,
Martin Angove wrote:

In message ,
"Owain" wrote:

"Martin Angove" wrote
| The radio station at which I used to work had a very fancy
| Rugby receiving clock. Several hundred pounds worth. Of
| course, this was purchased in the days before you could
| get one for a tenner from Argos. It sat in Racks

It wasn't a Wharton was it? I used to salivate looking at the Wharton clocks
in the catalogue.

No, it was from a company called, predictably enough, Radiocode Clocks.
I believe they're still available from the likes of Canford :-)

Actually on further reflection it was Eventide (it said "Eventide
Radiocode Clock" on the front). Crumbs, it's less than five years ago!

Hmmm... maybe I'd better dig the old photos out to check ;-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk/
S Viemeister

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

He mentioned a "display" with minutes and seconds, though: doesn't
that imply a digital display?

Ah - I missed that. I was thinking second hand, minute hand, hour hand.

(Can you misalign a digital display?)

I've never tried.
Harvey Van Sickle

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

He mentioned a "display" with minutes and seconds, though:
doesn't that imply a digital display?

Ah - I missed that. I was thinking second hand, minute hand, hour
hand.

(Can you misalign a digital display?)

I've never tried.

I was half-serious: at least the older LCD displays were easy to queer
if you press on/distort the face of the crystal. (Not misalignment,
but I'm sure you know the effect...)

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
Mark

"Harvey Van Sickle" wrote in message
On 23 Oct 2003, Dave Liquorice wrote

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:14:52 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

Is it possible that the clock face is slightly mis-aligned?

Or the minute hand. They are normall only a push on fit to the drive
shaft, no splines or other locating device.

It sounded like a digital display to me, not an analogue.

Yes it was a digital display. I took it back today and changed it for
another model and thankfully everything appears to be spot on. I did
however buy a cheap RC wall clock for the kitchen which has an analogue
display. It was strange to see the fingers zapping round on their own
as I inserted the battery. The only problem is there is a little play
in the minute finger, so at quarter past the hour it looks a minute fast
and at quarter to the hour it looks a minute slow. Still, can't grumble.