Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cost to replace 25 lightbulbs- Have I being overcharged

Hi

I am a first time poster here so I hope that I do not upset anyone by asking
something stupid.

I paid an electrician £100 for some work he did at my second home. It seems
that all he has done is change a couple of perfectly good working lightbulbs
for low energy ones (25 in all).

Have I been ripped off by this working class oink and should I have asked
for a dodgy receipt to make a bit of cash on the side for myself

Yours

David Willetts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Willletts coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi

I am a first time poster here so I hope that I do not upset anyone by
asking something stupid.

I paid an electrician £100 for some work he did at my second home. It
seems that all he has done is change a couple of perfectly good working
lightbulbs for low energy ones (25 in all).

Have I been ripped off by this working class oink

Yes - at that price he's obviously used dodgey Tesco Value 4 for a quid
CFLs. They'll be dead inside 3 months.

and should I have asked
for a dodgy receipt to make a bit of cash on the side for myself

Why not - might as well hang for a cow as a goat. Get him back after summer
to replace them again!

Yours

David Willetts

Good one!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Willletts wrote:
Hi

I am a first time poster here so I hope that I do not upset anyone by
asking something stupid.

A forlorn hope.

I paid an electrician £100 for some work he did at my second home. It
seems that all he has done is change a couple of perfectly good
working lightbulbs for low energy ones (25 in all).

'A couple' or '25 in all'?

Have I been ripped off by this working class oink and should I have
asked for a dodgy receipt to make a bit of cash on the side for myself

Errm. Do the math you arrogant ****. 25 lamps at £2 each trade, he should
have charged you at least £3 each, since you are clearly too thick or lazy
to change a lamp and too pig ignorant to know what lamps to use. I'd have
charged you £4 each simply for being an arsehole.

Assuming one minute a lamp + set up etc, an hours labour should cover it.
Decent sparks is worth £30 per hour absolute minimum.

So, if it were '25 in all' you got a cheap job.

However I suspect you are simply a troll. In which case FOAD.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

David Willletts wrote:
[...]

Er Dave, read the From address - it's a joke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 May 2009 22:22:48 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

However I suspect you are simply a troll. In which case FOAD.

I think you've possibly missed something :-)

Go here :-

www.davidwilletts.org.uk/

Big grin :-)
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
David Willletts wrote:
[...]

Did you hear a strange wooshing noise just above your head?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 May 2009 22:01:12 GMT, "David Willletts"
wrote:

Hi

I am a first time poster here so I hope that I do not upset anyone by asking
something stupid.

I paid an electrician £100 for some work he did at my second home. It seems
that all he has done is change a couple of perfectly good working lightbulbs
for low energy ones (25 in all).

Have I been ripped off by this working class oink and should I have asked
for a dodgy receipt to make a bit of cash on the side for myself

Yours

David Willetts

Paxo was asking about you tonight .He called you David "Two Brains"
Willetts

--------------
Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address
but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .
Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Willletts wrote:

I'd never heard of the knob, politicians bore me rigid.

Mind you, if it was him, my reply would have been about right

I'll get me coat....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Replying through Tim S to TMH

David Willletts wrote:
Hi

I am a first time poster here so I hope that I do not upset anyone
by asking something stupid.

A forlorn hope.

You are easily upset on the odd occasion!

I paid an electrician £100 for some work he did at my second home.
It seems that all he has done is change a couple of perfectly good
working lightbulbs for low energy ones (25 in all).

'A couple' or '25 in all'?

A tad behind in reading the news I presume - must be all those visits to B&Q
taking up your time?

Have I been ripped off by this working class oink and should I have
asked for a dodgy receipt to make a bit of cash on the side for
myself

Errm. Do the math you arrogant ****. 25 lamps at £2 each trade, he
should have charged you at least £3 each, since you are clearly too
thick or lazy to change a lamp and too pig ignorant to know what
lamps to use. I'd have charged you £4 each simply for being an
arsehole.

Methinks your lack a sense of humour - and as for maths, well...it could be
a case of the kettle calling the old saucepan black here.

Assuming one minute a lamp + set up etc, an hours labour should
cover it. Decent sparks is worth £30 per hour absolute minimum.

So, if it were '25 in all' you got a cheap job.

Again, you seem a tad behind in the news - unless of course you have done a
few jobs for the odd MP or so and wish to divert attention from them so that
the old golden geese keeps laying their eggs for you?

However I suspect you are simply a troll. In which case FOAD.

There's no bigger *troll* here than you on many occasions.

Just in case you really are that humourless, press a few keys on the old
keyboard and research the odd bit of news thats been hidden in the BT
archives over the last few days about the rather big, two legged pigs who've
been 'caught' with their snouts in the trough and keep saying "well I
haven't broken any rules" as an excuse.

So FOAD yourself you ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
David Willletts wrote:

I'd never heard of the knob,

politicians bore me rigid.

You have also never heard of La Ciccionolla.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David
Willletts writes
Hi

I am a first time poster here so I hope that I do not upset anyone by asking
something stupid.

I paid an electrician £100 for some work he did at my second home. It seems
that all he has done is change a couple of perfectly good working lightbulbs
for low energy ones (25 in all).

Have I been ripped off by this working class oink and should I have asked
for a dodgy receipt to make a bit of cash on the side for myself

You should cuff the boundah robustly around the ear

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim S
writes
The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

However I suspect you are simply a troll. In which case FOAD.

Er Dave, read the From address - it's a joke

Easy tiger he's from Chatham

takes time ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. com...
David Willletts wrote:

I'd never heard of the knob,

politicians bore me rigid.

You have also never heard of La Ciccionolla.

Little chance of rigidity there

'orrible cow

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

You have also never heard of La Ciccionolla.

No one had before you mentioned the name. I suspect you're thinking of
La Cicciolina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuVG0F_oorM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
ARWadsworth wrote:

You have also never heard of La Ciccionolla.

No one had before you mentioned the name. I suspect you're thinking of
La Cicciolina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuVG0F_oorM

Yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicciolina

a spelling mistake.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 May 2009 22:43:41 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'd never heard of the knob, politicians bore me rigid.

You and me both. I wonder how long it will be before they invent a
replacement for their lost allowances? I think we need to make sure that
an independent body is also bought in to oversee/approve their expenses as
well. Yes the two are separate.

Mind you, if it was him, my reply would have been about right

I gave up trying to understand the contradictory and abusive english of
the OP but I agree £100 to supply and replace 25 lamps is about right.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 May 2009 01:17:22 +0100, geoff wrote:

'orrible cow

Wouldn't climb over her to get at you geoff ;-)

--
John Stumbles

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Mon, 11 May 2009 22:43:41 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:
I'd never heard of the knob, politicians bore me rigid.

You and me both. I wonder how long it will be before they invent a
replacement for their lost allowances? I think we need to make sure that an independent body is also bought in to oversee/approve their expenses as
well. Yes the two are separate.
Mind you, if it was him, my reply would have been about right

I gave up trying to understand the contradictory and abusive english of
the OP but I agree £100 to supply and replace 25 lamps is about right.

When we were doing the Part P consultative response, I recall thinking
to myself
"but surely MP's are going to end up paying extra to get Part P stuff
done too?"
Well, I was clearly wide of the mark -- _we_ pay to get MP's Part P
stuff done, so they couldn't give a, um, stuff about that either!

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
o.uk...

if they're inaccessible and he has to move a ladder around, move furniture
to get access etc.

Whoooosh

I believe three were over the moat and two under the tennis court and the
majority were in a chandelier!!!

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

(LC doesn't appear until about 3 minutes in, and
appears to be wearing the same outfit...)

I like the comment one Italian made on the youtube reference I gave. In
rough translation:

"No style, no rythm, can't sing, can't dance, can't even act a little."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Tim S
writes
The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

However I suspect you are simply a troll. In which case FOAD.

Er Dave, read the From address - it's a joke

Easy tiger he's from Chatham

takes time ...

Don't diss me Wotfud man, I aint no chav, I is part of the Rochester massive
innit.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unbeliever wrote:
Replying through Tim S to TMH

Oh dear. Its Tanner OP again, hiding behind a new name. Not very good at
it are you?

I have listed all the sensible & valid points you have made below and have
given them the response & respect they deserve.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How many light bulbs does it take to troll an MP? Or have I got
that one wrong?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
On Tue, 12 May 2009 01:17:22 +0100, geoff wrote:

'orrible cow

Wouldn't climb over her to get at you geoff ;-)

ISTR she used to do a striptease show on late night TV in Italy when I
lived there. When there was nothing else on (so to speak) ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Mon, 11 May 2009 22:43:41 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'd never heard of the knob, politicians bore me rigid.

You and me both. I wonder how long it will be before they invent a
replacement for their lost allowances? I think we need to make sure that
an independent body is also bought in to oversee/approve their expenses as
well. Yes the two are separate.

Mind you, if it was him, my reply would have been about right

I gave up trying to understand the contradictory and abusive english of
the OP but I agree £100 to supply and replace 25 lamps is about right.

It's a windup ...duh

Look at the email address of the OP

Have you been in a coma for the past week?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Huge wrote:

(LC doesn't appear until about 3 minutes in, and
appears to be wearing the same outfit...)

I like the comment one Italian made on the youtube reference I gave. In
rough translation:

"No style, no rythm, can't sing, can't dance, can't even act a little."

Was her winning slogan "Vote for bush"?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Was her winning slogan "Vote for bush"?

Cicciolina the way to success!

Assuming that the bloke in the film was called Cecil, that is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain coughed up some electrons that declared:

David Willletts wrote:
I paid an electrician £100 for some work he did at my second home. It
seems that all he has done is change a couple of perfectly good working
lightbulbs for low energy ones (25 in all).

What did you ask him to do?

Have I been ripped off by this working class oink and should I have asked
for a dodgy receipt to make a bit of cash on the side for myself

How long did he spend doing it? Because £100 is only going to buy a
couple of hours' time, if that. And changing 12 lightbulbs in an hour is

pretty fast work, if they're inaccessible and he has to move a ladder
around, move furniture to get access etc.

Don't forget the risk assessment!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Owain" wrote in message
o.uk...

if they're inaccessible and he has to move a ladder around, move
furniture to get access etc.

Whoooosh

I believe three were over the moat and two under the tennis court and the
majority were in a chandelier!!!

John

And David Cameron is getting all manly on his own party kicking some serious
ass (pay it back or be sacked). Wonder if his name will come up in
tomorrow's paper - that would be embarrassing...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

ARWadsworth wrote:

You have also never heard of La Ciccionolla.

No one had before you mentioned the name. I suspect you're thinking of
La Cicciolina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuVG0F_oorM

Yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicciolina

a spelling mistake.

Adam

I don't even want to look. It is something Berlusconi (sp?) would be boning?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

geoff wrote:
In message , Tim S
writes
The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

However I suspect you are simply a troll. In which case FOAD.

Er Dave, read the From address - it's a joke

Easy tiger he's from Chatham

takes time ...

Don't diss me Wotfud man, I aint no chav, I is part of the Rochester
massive innit.

Glad I live in the nice end of Kent!

;-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

You have also never heard of La Ciccionolla.

No one had before you mentioned the name. I suspect you're thinking of
La Cicciolina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuVG0F_oorM

Yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicciolina

a spelling mistake.

Adam

I don't even want to look. It is something Berlusconi (sp?) would be
boning?

We will have to wait and see if the condoms go on the second house expenses
to find out for sure.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 May 2009 21:21:35 UTC, Tim S wrote:

Glad I live in the nice end of Kent!

;-

Wot, Thanet???

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

It is something Berlusconi (sp?) would be boning?

No, she's far too old for Berlusconi. She's legal, but you'd need a
supply of paper bags and earplugs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Tue, 12 May 2009 21:21:35 UTC, Tim S wrote:

Glad I live in the nice end of Kent!

;-

Wot, Thanet???

Oi - I don't want Gary Glitter roaming my back yard!

No, Tunbridge Wells give or take 3 miles. Round here the pikeys wear a suit
while they're nicking your GPS...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim S
writes

"Owain" wrote in message
o.uk...

if they're inaccessible and he has to move a ladder around, move
furniture to get access etc.

Whoooosh

I believe three were over the moat and two under the tennis court and the
majority were in a chandelier!!!

John

And David Cameron is getting all manly on his own party kicking some serious
ass (pay it back or be sacked). Wonder if his name will come up in
tomorrow's paper - that would be embarrassing...

That'll be the national debt paid off in no time ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Bob Eager coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Tue, 12 May 2009 21:21:35 UTC, Tim S wrote:

Glad I live in the nice end of Kent!

;-

Wot, Thanet???

Oi - I don't want Gary Glitter roaming my back yard!

No, Tunbridge Wells give or take 3 miles. Round here the pikeys wear
a suit while they're nicking your GPS...

TW is so posh it's really East Sussex...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Bob Eager coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Tue, 12 May 2009 21:21:35 UTC, Tim S wrote:

Glad I live in the nice end of Kent!

;-

Wot, Thanet???

Oi - I don't want Gary Glitter roaming my back yard!

No, Tunbridge Wells give or take 3 miles. Round here the pikeys wear
a suit while they're nicking your GPS...

TW is so posh it's really East Sussex...

Funny you should say that.

The suit joke isn't a joke, but actually comes from Robertsbridge (which is
in East Sussex, where I'm fixing the bunglalow). There have been sightings
of a man in a suit[1] on the prowl, apparently spotted nicking something
from an unlocked van.

My builder got his GPS nicked while his van was in my drive. May be the
same...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 May 2009 23:27:01 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Tim S wrote:
Bob Eager coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Tue, 12 May 2009 21:21:35 UTC, Tim S wrote:

Glad I live in the nice end of Kent!

;-

Wot, Thanet???

Oi - I don't want Gary Glitter roaming my back yard!

No, Tunbridge Wells give or take 3 miles. Round here the pikeys wear
a suit while they're nicking your GPS...

TW is so posh it's really East Sussex...

Like Hastings, you mean? :-)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tim S wrote:
Bob Eager coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Tue, 12 May 2009 21:21:35 UTC, Tim S wrote:

Glad I live in the nice end of Kent!

;-

Wot, Thanet???

Oi - I don't want Gary Glitter roaming my back yard!

No, Tunbridge Wells give or take 3 miles. Round here the pikeys wear
a suit while they're nicking your GPS...

TW is so posh it's really East Sussex...

Like Hastings, you mean? :-)

No, that's the smelly end. Along with Brighton.