Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

Default Cost for council to replace window

Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18 inch by
18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that has wire mesh
through it.

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

ARWadsworth wrote:
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18 inch by
18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that has wire mesh
through it.

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

Oh dear. Trt uk.l.m for the duty soliciter bit. For the
glass, probably less than about £150. Ask a glazier, and
multiply by 1.5, at a guess.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18 inch by
18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that has wire mesh
through it.

Personally, I would use a glazier. The council are for collecting taxes and
rubbish...

Fireproof glass is reasonably expensive, although the wired stuff is MUCH
cheaper than the clear.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Tue, 02 May 2006 16:49:06 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18 inch by
18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that has wire mesh
through it.

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

Adam

Why not do it yourself ...or claim your buldings insurance if u have it and it
was accidental

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

ARWadsworth wrote:
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18
inch by 18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that
has wire mesh through it.

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

Adam

How'd you manage to break wire glass?

Go down to the cop station and report it as vanalised, they will log it.
And the council will replace free of charge.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18
inch by 18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that
has wire mesh through it.

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

Adam

How'd you manage to break wire glass?

Go down to the cop station and report it as vanalised, they will log it.
And the council will replace free of charge.

At a wild guess, the police broke it to effect entry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
ARWadsworth wrote:
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18
inch by 18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that
has wire mesh through it.

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

Adam

How'd you manage to break wire glass?

Sledgehammer

Go down to the cop station and report it as vanalised, they will log it.
And the council will replace free of charge.

It is not my house It is my next door neighbours. I did the criminal damage
and I am sure the council will want paying.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Ian Stirling wrote:

At a wild guess, the police broke it to effect entry.

:¬)

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

ARWadsworth wrote:
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18
inch by 18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that
has wire mesh through it.

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

Adam

How'd you manage to break wire glass?

Sledgehammer

Go down to the cop station and report it as vanalised, they will log
it. And the council will replace free of charge.

It is not my house It is my next door neighbours. I did the criminal
damage and I am sure the council will want paying.

Adam

Was the music too loud?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Ian Stirling wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18
inch by 18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that
has wire mesh through it.

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

Adam

How'd you manage to break wire glass?

Go down to the cop station and report it as vanalised, they will log
it. And the council will replace free of charge.

At a wild guess, the police broke it to effect entry.

No need to report it in the cop station then. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "ARWadsworth" contains these words:

It is not my house It is my next door neighbours. I did the criminal damage
and I am sure the council will want paying.

Well done for owning up to it! I'd just call a glazier and put your hand
in your pocket - cheaper than getting a bill from the council.

Best option of all (apart from not doing it in the first place) is go to
the glazier and come home with a bit of glass and fit it yourself.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

. uk...

ARWadsworth wrote:
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a

18
inch by 18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass

that
has wire mesh through it.

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

Adam

How'd you manage to break wire glass?

Sledgehammer

Go down to the cop station and report it as vanalised, they will

log it.
And the council will replace free of charge.

It is not my house It is my next door neighbours. I did the criminal

damage
and I am sure the council will want paying.

Adam

Just do it yourself - any decent glazier can provide 6mm wired glass
to size, be it obscured or clear. It is probably only fixed with
timber quadrant mouldings rather than putty.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

Do you think my next door neighbour will let me fix his window after I have
smashed it with a sledgehammer and given him a good kicking in his own
house?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. uk...

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

If you've already done that then is he going to complain ?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18 inch
by 18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that has wire
mesh through it.

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

Oh dear. Trt uk.l.m for the duty soliciter bit.

Free according to
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_rights/legal_system/police_powers.htm

Great that makes things cheaper. And no access to the net whilst in the
cells. What a disgrace. I thought criminals got everything these days.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.. .
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18 inch
by
18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that has wire
mesh
through it.

Personally, I would use a glazier. The council are for collecting taxes
and
rubbish...

Fireproof glass is reasonably expensive, although the wired stuff is MUCH
cheaper than the clear.

And uglier.

Mary

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Do you think my next door neighbour will let me fix his window after I
have smashed it with a sledgehammer and given him a good kicking in his
own house?

Oh go on, tell us everything.

My drawers will never dry ...

Mary

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. uk...

Do you think my next door neighbour will let me fix his window after I
have smashed it with a sledgehammer and given him a good kicking in his
own house?

Premeditated assult as well as property damage, all admited on a public,
searchable, persistant place, nice!

Troll me thinks (that or just stoopid).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy

"Andy" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. uk...

Do you think my next door neighbour will let me fix his window after I
have smashed it with a sledgehammer and given him a good kicking in his
own house?

Premeditated assult as well as property damage, all admited on a public,
searchable, persistant place, nice!

Troll me thinks (that or just stoopid).

Do you think I can be arrested and charged twice for the same offences
just because I asked how much the window will cost to replace on the net?

No, but there's nowt as good as a public confession to save the court system
some time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
ARWadsworth wrote:

Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18 inch
by 18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that has wire
mesh through it.

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

Oh dear. Trt uk.l.m for the duty soliciter bit.

Free according to
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_rights/legal_system/police_powers.htm

Great that makes things cheaper. And no access to the net whilst in the
cells. What a disgrace. I thought criminals got everything these days.

Well, good luck with it (unless you've been unspeakably bad for
no valid reason, of course).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"Andy" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. uk...

Do you think my next door neighbour will let me fix his window after I
have smashed it with a sledgehammer and given him a good kicking in his
own house?

Premeditated assult as well as property damage, all admited on a public,
searchable, persistant place, nice!

Troll me thinks (that or just stoopid).

Do you think I can be arrested and charged twice for the same offences
just because I asked how much the window will cost to replace on the net?

No, but there's nowt as good as a public confession to save the court
system
some time.

Guilty as charged. As I told the police when in custody.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Andy wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote...
Do you think my next door neighbour will let me fix his window after I
have smashed it with a sledgehammer and given him a good kicking in his
own house?

Premeditated assult as well as property damage

You ought to add "IANAL".
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

t...

Do you think my next door neighbour will let me fix his window after I
have smashed it with a sledgehammer and given him a good kicking in his
own house?

Oh go on, tell us everything.

My drawers will never dry ...

Mary

The next door neighbour did not like me doing some DIY in my house on Bank
Holiday Monday. His threats to my cats and me (using a pick axe) made me a
little angry. It is surprising how the police cells allow you to calm down
given enough time.

Adam

PS The new cells have great stainless steel bogs and sinks. Mind you I never
saw the old ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Andy wrote:
there's nowt as good as a public confession to save the court system
some time.

Why do you come out with stuff like that unless you're stirring
the brown stuff? You've no idea what ARW was arrested (assumption)
for, or what, if anything, ARW said at the time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy

Andy wrote:
there's nowt as good as a public confession to save the court system
some time.

Why do you come out with stuff like that unless you're stirring
the brown stuff? You've no idea what ARW was arrested (assumption)
for, or what, if anything, ARW said at the time.

I'm sure you're right, there must be a valid explaination for smashing
down someone's door with a sledgehammer and then beating them
up. Anyone without such a valid explaination would just be a lunatic
thug.

Troll though I think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "ARWadsworth" contains these words:

Do you think my next door neighbour will let me fix his window after I have
smashed it with a sledgehammer and given him a good kicking in his own
house?

Depends on how much he thinks you're going to give him another kicking,
I'd have thought.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

Andy wrote:
there's nowt as good as a public confession to save the court system
some time.

Why do you come out with stuff like that unless you're stirring
the brown stuff? You've no idea what ARW was arrested (assumption)
for, or what, if anything, ARW said at the time.

I'm sure you're right, there must be a valid explaination for smashing
down someone's door with a sledgehammer and then beating them
up. Anyone without such a valid explaination would just be a lunatic
thug.

Troll though I think.

See my reply to Mary.

Adam

PS So what do you think the window will cost? We could do a sweep stake.
That would make a change from plasic pipes and the winner still gets FA. I
will start with £120 (inc Vat and the lot) Any other offers? I will post a
copy of the letter that will no doubt arrive through my post box soon with
the total inside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Andy wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
Andy wrote:
there's nowt as good as a public confession to save the court system
some time.

Why do you come out with stuff like that unless you're stirring
the brown stuff? You've no idea what ARW was arrested (assumption)
for, or what, if anything, ARW said at the time.

I'm sure you're right, there must be a valid explaination for smashing
down someone's door with a sledgehammer and then beating them
up.

I don't know of the exact circumstances, but...

Anyone without such a valid explaination would just be a lunatic thug.

A saving "valid explanation" to be offered to the court would have to
be quite something, IMO.

Troll though I think.

I should think that Mr. W. will shortly be absent for a little while,
that depending on various things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

ARWadsworth wrote:
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18
inch by 18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that
has wire mesh through it.

After reading the thread and knowing the circumstances, I can safely say
that the council will not replace the glass, they will more likely change
the door and even possibly the door frame too, after all, they are getting
paid to do it and if it were my house this is what I too would do, they're
highly unlikely to keep costs down.

Expect it to be no less than £500

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

No they're not free, you may get legal aid depending on your circumstances
but if not, expect a bill of £90ish

Depending upon damage to neighbours face, expect to pay compensation of
about a grand, maybe more, plus a fine, all in all it should cost you about
£2000, but at least you saved some cash by not getting a builder in and
doing it yourself.
:-p

Posted to uk.d-i-y
powerstation

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

No they're not free, you may get legal aid depending on your circumstances
but if not, expect a bill of £90ish

Wrong
Its Free at the Police station regardless of your financial status, it is of
course different when you appear at the local mags court.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
ARWadsworth wrote:
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18
inch by 18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that
has wire mesh through it.

After reading the thread and knowing the circumstances, I can safely say
that the council will not replace the glass, they will more likely change
the door and even possibly the door frame too, after all, they are getting
paid to do it and if it were my house this is what I too would do, they're
highly unlikely to keep costs down.

Expect it to be no less than £500

snip

==========================
The Council will have to take some kind of legal action to make you pay for
the damage and almost certainly they have an obligation to claim only for
the actual damage. They can't claim for a new door and frame just for their
convenience. Even a sledge hammer used on a pane of glass is not likely to
cause damage requiring a whole new door and frame.

Since you've been charged with causing criminal damage it will probably be
up to the Court to make some kind of order for restitution - if you're
convicted. They may not make any such order and if they don't the Council
may feel that it's not worth pursuing you for the cost.

Cic.

It has removed 212 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Cicero wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

Maybe the frame wasn't damaged, but the door could certainly have been
almost destroyed - georgian wired glass? - add a few tubes of silicone and
well screwed in internal beads and it's fairly safe to say that the inside
of the door will be beyond repair, but this is just conjecture, it could
have been on a thin bed of old putty and fell out with the first crack.
The door frame is questionable but not impossible, if it's showing signs of
rot, the council will not hang a new door on a rotten frame and simply claim
that it was knocked out of square by the sledghammer.

Since you've been charged with causing criminal damage it will
probably be up to the Court to make some kind of order for
restitution - if you're convicted. They may not make any such order
and if they don't the Council may feel that it's not worth pursuing
you for the cost.

IANAL but I am a landlord, and anyone causing criminal damage to any of my
properties will pay for the full cost if caught, I can't imagine that a
local authority would be any different.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

In article ,
ARWadsworth writes
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18 inch by
18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that has wire mesh
through it.

My guess, 10quid for materials plus no more than an hour labour so
daytime rates 50quid or emergency call out 100quid. Whatever the charge
it should be no greater than a tradesman would charge to do the same job.
They have suffered a loss but can't charge you a disproportionate amount
to put that right, they must mitigate the loss and not charge you for
unnecessary work. Bear in mind however that it could be difficult to prove
what was absolutely necessary if parts are removed from the site and
skipped after the job.

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

Representation at the police station whilst under questioning is free
whether by the duty solicitor or your own. You may also be permitted free
advice from a duty solicitor at court although that is said to be more
problematic, far better to have your own if that is the way it goes.

Sorry to see you in this spot Adam and hope it goes well for you. IANAL.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Cicero wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

====================
I agree that the Council will want their full 'pound of flesh' but they are
obliged to mitigate their losses. If the door and frame were in poor
condition I doubt if they could claim the full cost of a new door and frame.

As far as compelling crooks to pay for criminal damage is concerned, the
operative words are, 'if caught'. We seem to live in a society in which
causing criminal damage is seen as just a little bit of casual pleasure for
bored juveniles.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Andy
writes

Andy wrote:
there's nowt as good as a public confession to save the court system
some time.

Why do you come out with stuff like that unless you're stirring
the brown stuff? You've no idea what ARW was arrested (assumption)
for, or what, if anything, ARW said at the time.

I'm sure you're right, there must be a valid explaination for smashing
down someone's door with a sledgehammer and then beating them
up.

I think someone might have called him a troll ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Andy
writes

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...

Do you think my next door neighbour will let me fix his window after I
have smashed it with a sledgehammer and given him a good kicking in his
own house?

Premeditated assult as well as property damage, all admited on a public,
searchable, persistant place, nice!

Troll me thinks (that or just stoopid).

Sorry to smash your bubble - he's a known poster to the NG

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Micky

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. uk...
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18 inch by
18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that has wire mesh
through it.

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

Adam

As someone already said they are free at the police station. When I
experienced it my solicitor sent me a copy of the bill, he was charging the
Government (or whoever) £165 an hour and he was there for at least 4 hours
(sitting around doing nothing for at least 3 I must add!)

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
AFUE, HSPF and COP, how do they relate? [email protected] Home Ownership 37 February 23rd 05 04:03 PM
AFUE, HSPF and COP, how do they relate? [email protected] Home Repair 37 February 23rd 05 04:03 PM
Broken Window repair cost? Simmo UK diy 2 February 22nd 05 02:13 AM
Approximate cost of replacement double glazing for bay window David Hearn UK diy 8 January 14th 04 09:23 AM