Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sunlight and external twin & earth

I am going to put up 2 external lights 6 feet up on the outside of my
house. It is a brick wall facing south.

For each light I will need to run about 6 to 12 inches of cable
externally. Cables will come through wall and then across to each light.

This appears to be non notifiable.

I would rather not use trunking. Will ordinary T&E do or can I paint it
or do I need UVA resistant?

TIA

Hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
I am going to put up 2 external lights 6 feet up on the outside of my
house. It is a brick wall facing south.

For each light I will need to run about 6 to 12 inches of cable
externally. Cables will come through wall and then across to each
light.
This appears to be non notifiable.

I would rather not use trunking. Will ordinary T&E do or can I paint
it or do I need UVA resistant?

I'd be interested in the answer to that. I'd just comment that conduit
always looks better, bare cable just looks like a bodge to me.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Invisible Man wrote:
I am going to put up 2 external lights 6 feet up on the outside of my
house. It is a brick wall facing south.

For each light I will need to run about 6 to 12 inches of cable
externally. Cables will come through wall and then across to each
light.
This appears to be non notifiable.

I would rather not use trunking. Will ordinary T&E do or can I paint
it or do I need UVA resistant?

I'd be interested in the answer to that. I'd just comment that conduit
always looks better, bare cable just looks like a bodge to me.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I frequently terminate the T&E in a conduit box where it leaves the house
(eg)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20521/Electrical-Supplies/Conduit/Rigid-Conduit/Terminal-Box-1-Way-Black

and then use flex to the lamps. The conduit box and flex colour I use
matches the colour of the lights.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
ARWadsworth writes
and then use flex to the lamps. The conduit box and flex colour I use
matches the colour of the lights.

Yes, either that or some of the flexible tubing/conduit. Definitely more
'professional' than just running T&E which always looks like you've had
Butch n Sundance doing jobs for you.

Adam

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman writes

I'd be interested in the answer to that. I'd just comment that conduit
always looks better

Depends on the conduit. That white square trunking with the clip-on lid
looks awful when used externally. Short vertical lengths, painted over
to match the wall, look okay, but horizontal lengths just don't look
right and scream "BODGE!!!!"

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Invisible Man writes:
I am going to put up 2 external lights 6 feet up on the outside of my
house. It is a brick wall facing south.

For each light I will need to run about 6 to 12 inches of cable
externally. Cables will come through wall and then across to each light.

This appears to be non notifiable.

I would rather not use trunking. Will ordinary T&E do or can I paint it
or do I need UVA resistant?

IME of several lengths exposed for decades, no harm results
to the outer sheath. I have one disused piece which has the
inner exposed for about 10 years now, and the sun has almost
bleached the red and black colours out, but it's all still
just as flexible as it was. The material is going to vary
from different manufacturers, and it may be that you can
find some which isn't UV stable.

Painting would add further protection. Use oil-based gloss
topcoat directly onto the PVC (with no undercoat). Don't
use more than you need, because the solvent does slightly
dissolve into the PVC surface until it dries (so the paint
will never peel off). Suggest you slide some paper/card
behind just whilst brushing, to avoid painting the wall.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:

For each light I will need to run about 6 to 12 inches of cable
externally. Cables will come through wall and then across to each light.

This appears to be non notifiable.

You're adding to the circuit so this is notifiable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 May, 10:51, wrote:
Invisible Man wrote:
For each light I will need to run about 6 to 12 inches of cable
externally. Cables will come through wall and then across to each light.

This appears to be non notifiable.

You're adding to the circuit so this is notifiable.

Please cite your source for this statement.
Adding to an existing circuit in an "ordinary location" generally
constitutes minor works, however correct verification and testing are
still required and in thoery you should write yourself a minor works
certificate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cynic wrote:
On 10 May, 10:51, wrote:
Invisible Man wrote:
For each light I will need to run about 6 to 12 inches of cable
externally. Cables will come through wall and then across to each light.

This appears to be non notifiable.

You're adding to the circuit so this is notifiable.

Please cite your source for this statement.
Adding to an existing circuit in an "ordinary location" generally
constitutes minor works, however correct verification and testing are
still required and in thoery you should write yourself a minor works
certificate.

Well it looks like I fell foul of the John Prescott brigade when I
stated this. They claim that anything other than changing a switch or
lighting fitment, where there is NO change to the original circuit is
ok, but anything which involves a change to the circuit is a definite
no no without notifying the LBA and getting the appropriate tests and
checks done by a certified sparks.

I hadn't seen the quoted section of the Part P document and I am
really surprised that this type of work is officially sanctioned for
DIYers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
I am going to put up 2 external lights 6 feet up on the outside of my
house. It is a brick wall facing south.

For each light I will need to run about 6 to 12 inches of cable
externally. Cables will come through wall and then across to each light.

This appears to be non notifiable.

I would rather not use trunking. Will ordinary T&E do or can I paint it
or do I need UVA resistant?

TIA

Hugh

There's masses of externally run T&E and its fine in practice. Its no
longer regs compliant though. Gloss topcoat can keep the UV off,
though I'm not sure that white would. Now you're meant to use armoured
cable, trunking, or burial in the wall, in case it gets pruned.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
. Now you're meant to use armoured
cable, trunking, or burial in the wall, in case it gets pruned.

There is no regulation or formal guidance to that effect as far as I know.