Dundonald

Default join thin twin electricity cable with standard twin and earth

What's the best way to connect twin electricity cable (side by side
sheafed in plastic) with standard twin and earth? Are there any
connection boxes made for this purpose?

Cheers.

Lobster

Dundonald wrote:
What's the best way to connect twin electricity cable (side by side
sheafed in plastic) with standard twin and earth? Are there any
connection boxes made for this purpose?

Are you talking about connecting 'flex' (as in, the floppy stuff which
has a plug at one end and a table lamp or telly at the other) to 'cable'
(as in, the stiff stuff which is fixed down and normally hidden under
floors/ceilings etc)?

If so, you'd better provide more details of what exactly you want to
power up with this arrangement.

If not - please clarify!

David
Dundonald

Lobster wrote:
Dundonald wrote:
What's the best way to connect twin electricity cable (side by side
sheafed in plastic) with standard twin and earth? Are there any
connection boxes made for this purpose?

Are you talking about connecting 'flex' (as in, the floppy stuff

which
has a plug at one end and a table lamp or telly at the other) to

'cable'
(as in, the stiff stuff which is fixed down and normally hidden under
floors/ceilings etc)?

If so, you'd better provide more details of what exactly you want to
power up with this arrangement.

If not - please clarify!

Apologies for any confusion. No the twin stuff I talk of carries 12v
and is what came with garden lighting I bought from B&Q. It's simply
two live wires, each individually wrapped in plastic and stuck side by
side together so the whole bit of wire is flatish. But I don't want to
use that wire as I only got 15m of the stuff. Instead I want to use
the twin and earth that's already circulated around my garden.

The lights have a small length of the same twin/flatish cable that
would normally connect to the said 15 ring that came with the lights,
but I want instead to connect this to the twin and earth.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
Dundonald wrote:
Apologies for any confusion. No the twin stuff I talk of carries 12v
and is what came with garden lighting I bought from B&Q. It's simply
two live wires, each individually wrapped in plastic and stuck side by
side together so the whole bit of wire is flatish. But I don't want to
use that wire as I only got 15m of the stuff. Instead I want to use
the twin and earth that's already circulated around my garden.

Seek professional help immediately. TW&E isn't suitable for 'circulating
around a garden'

The lights have a small length of the same twin/flatish cable that
would normally connect to the said 15 ring that came with the lights,
but I want instead to connect this to the twin and earth.

Electricity can kill.

--
*'Progress' and 'Change' are not synonyms.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dundonald wrote:
What's the best way to connect twin electricity cable (side by

side
sheafed in plastic) with standard twin and earth? Are there any
connection boxes made for this purpose?

Apologies for any confusion. No the twin stuff I talk of carries 12v
and is what came with garden lighting I bought from B&Q. It's simply
two live wires, each individually wrapped in plastic and stuck side

by
side together so the whole bit of wire is flatish. But I don't want

use that wire as I only got 15m of the stuff. Instead I want to use
the twin and earth that's already circulated around my garden.

The lights have a small length of the same twin/flatish cable that
would normally connect to the said 15 ring that came with the lights,
but I want instead to connect this to the twin and earth.

As long as your T&E is in no way connected to mains, and only carries
the 12v supply, just use a waterproof (underground) or IP44 (above
ground) junction box. Connections to the T&E will also need to be
similarly weather protected.

NT

John Rumm

Dundonald wrote:

The lights have a small length of the same twin/flatish cable that
would normally connect to the said 15 ring that came with the lights,
but I want instead to connect this to the twin and earth.

These lights often have Insulation Piercing Connectors that are designed
to work with the figure eight cable that you have. Hence you may need to
make connection to each light using an offcut of the supplied cable. You
can feed this from anything you like.

For making waterproof joins in low voltage cables I tend to favour
joining the wires with either insulated crimps, or solder and a layer of
heatshrink over the wire, followed by a wider heatshrink right over the
whole join. If you use glued heat shrink, or slice some strips off a
hotmelt gluestick and stick them into the heatshrink before you shrink
it, you will end up with a waterproof jacket over the join.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dundonald

John Rumm wrote:
Dundonald wrote:

[...]

Thanks a lot for your comments, much appreciated.