Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glass spec...

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can find out the size/ type of glass required
to meet building regs in the following circumstances?

1. A standard balcony + juliette balcony
2. A double glazed window that runs all the way up the stairwell so
the half landings essentially have glass floor to ceiling.

I have looked everywhere I can think of and can't seem to find it
anywhere.

thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can find out the size/ type of glass required
to meet building regs in the following circumstances?

1. A standard balcony + juliette balcony

No idea what those are...

2. A double glazed window that runs all the way up the stairwell so
the half landings essentially have glass floor to ceiling.

Double glazed, and toughened. I am not sure than without a banister etc
you will be allowed this.

Oh. from 2000 regs, you can have this but the thickness depends on the
height and width of the pane.

up to 1.1 meters either way, 8mm is allowable
up to 2.25 meters either way, 10mm
up to 3 m high and 4.45 me wide, 12mm
otherwise 15mm.

Now there is another requirement with I suspect a BCO would enforce, and
that is that up to 800mm from the floor - the half landings I guess -
you need to prevent people touching the glass easily..essentially a 75mm
sphere should not be able to be put in contact with the windows. I
suspect this means that you need close fitting posts and a banister in
front of the window. This should not be 'easy to climb'

You get the feeling that glass to the floor is really not liked.

The basic intention of teh glazing regs is tyhat

- it should be obvious that there is glazing there..i.e. transparent
floor to ceiling on a continuous flat floor is asking for trouble and
needs to me marked.

- if the glass is where people can fall, be pushed or thrown against it,
it should be tough enough not tpo break badly, and if it does, not to
splinter and cause grievous wounds.

- if its near the ground or floor, it needs to be protected against
children, so they cant get to it.

-

I have looked everywhere I can think of and can't seem to find it
anywhere.

thanks

Lee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 May, 14:44, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Lee.- Hide quoted text -

thanks very much for the info.

To explain number 1 above, we have 2 balconies
- a Juliette balcony in our bedroom with French Doors
- a 3 sided "square" railing around a flat roof balcony.

I wondered what the glass requirements were for them

thanks
Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 May 2009 06:15:25 -0700 (PDT), a certain chimpanzee,
randomly hit a keyboard and produced:

Does anyone know where I can find out the size/ type of glass required
to meet building regs in the following circumstances?

1. A standard balcony + juliette balcony
2. A double glazed window that runs all the way up the stairwell so
the half landings essentially have glass floor to ceiling.

There are essentially three requirements that glass must comply with:

1. When used to provide guarding between different levels it must be
sufficiently robust enough to resist the forces on it;
2. If it is in a situation where people can come into contact with it,
it should be of a type that will either a) be sufficiently robust so
as not to break easily, or b) break safely so as to avoid injury; and
3. Be obvious.

Where glazing is being used as guarding with no other protection, then
it has to be 2a) above.

The forces it has to resist depend on the type of building and the
numbers of people. A the guarding to a balcony in a night club would
need to be stronger than that in a house or flat, for instance. The
thickness of glass panes depends on their size, maximum dimensions,
fixings (are they held around two sides or four), etc.

Approved Documents K and N are a starting point. Pilkington also has a
lot of information on their website.
--
Hugo Nebula
"If no one on the Internet wants a piece of this,

spec for new oil CH & HW system - erm...... jim UK diy 10 August 5th 08 04:46 PM
Radiator Spec - just before I buy! [email protected] UK diy 6 February 15th 07 02:31 PM
Dbl Glazing spec Davao UK diy 5 December 7th 05 04:38 PM
Help with spec. jtech Electronics Repair 2 April 7th 04 03:56 AM
Theromstat Spec Marc Jennings UK diy 4 November 11th 03 01:46 PM