Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davao

Default Dbl Glazing spec

Hi all.
I have medium sized mid terrace house that has large bay windows.
These bay windows are the usual style with a stone support pillars
either side of the centre window pane.
I have cheap wooden single glazed system in place at the moment which has
internal fascia boards covering the internal view of the stone pillars.
I want to convert to dbl glazing.
But I think it would be more attractive if the stone pillars where visible.
So my question is, is it ok to spec a dbl glazing system that doesn't
require
these fascias?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Davao wrote:
Hi all.
I have medium sized mid terrace house that has large bay windows.
These bay windows are the usual style with a stone support pillars
either side of the centre window pane.
I have cheap wooden single glazed system in place at the moment which
has internal fascia boards covering the internal view of the stone
pillars.
I want to convert to dbl glazing.
But I think it would be more attractive if the stone pillars where
visible. So my question is, is it ok to spec a dbl glazing system
that doesn't require
these fascias?

Thanks.

Arthur

Normally the pillars in Victorian terraced houses are of the "Sandstone",
type?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi all.
I have medium sized mid terrace house that has large bay windows.
These bay windows are the usual style with a stone support pillars
either side of the centre window pane.
I have cheap wooden single glazed system in place at the moment which has
internal fascia boards covering the internal view of the stone pillars.
I want to convert to dbl glazing.
But I think it would be more attractive if the stone pillars where visible.
So my question is, is it ok to spec a dbl glazing system that doesn't
require
these fascias?

Are you allowed to have exposed pillars inside - they will have poor
insulation ?
Maybe the internal facias are insulated ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davao

Thanks.

I'm leaning toward the thought that if the upvc frames are fitted well,

the sandstone pillars wouldn't be a significant heat loss source.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davao wrote:
Thanks.

I'm leaning toward the thought that if the upvc frames are fitted well,

the sandstone pillars wouldn't be a significant heat loss source.

Arthur

The house I'm buying has concrete/stone (not sure) pillars around the
curved bay,
The windows are wooden single-glazed and fit entirely inside the
pillars, such that the window sill is actually very narrow. I'll have
to think about this when I get round to replacing the windows.
Simon.

Glazing Bars required for conservatory roof - Where to buy? [email protected] UK diy 5 May 12th 05 10:00 AM
colored glazing putty Rob Woodworking 2 May 1st 05 01:31 AM
load bearing double glazing TP UK diy 6 July 4th 04 12:00 PM
Double glazing - a few lessons Clive Long,UK UK diy 7 November 13th 03 09:58 AM
Using Performance Data Spec Sheets to figure - Condenser Temp-Split Darrell Home Repair 12 October 16th 03 04:29 PM