Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default No 2 Pozi screwdriver bits

I usually buy Wera diamond-coated bits and make them last for as long as
possible (months, rather than days or weeks).

However, I've just bought my first impact driver (yay! oodles of yummy
torque!) and managed to completely trash the PZ2 bit supplied whilst
just trying the damn thing out.

Now I can't afford to keep buying diamond-tipped bits if they're only
going to last 5 minutes in the new beast, so I'm looking for your
comments, please...

What brand do you use?

Do you go for standard quality or expensive (e.g. extra-hard/diamond
coated)?

How long do bits last for you?

Considering that the likes of DeWalt sell them in packs of 25, does this
mean that even the hallowed DeWalt brand is actually not very hard
wearing, or do some people just go through them like wildfire (either
because they do a lot of dry-lining/decking or because they're careless
with their tool)?

Cheers,
Rumble
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Osborne" wrote in message

[...]

It always makes me smile when a pack of 25 Pozidrive bits comes with the
words "Guaranteed for life" - I assume life means until they break!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:

I usually buy Wera diamond-coated bits and make them last for as long as
possible (months, rather than days or weeks).

However, I've just bought my first impact driver (yay! oodles of yummy
torque!) and managed to completely trash the PZ2 bit supplied whilst
just trying the damn thing out.

How long do bits last for you?
Considering that the likes of DeWalt sell them in packs of 25,

I use the Dewalt PZ2 bits, 25 pack, around £7 from Screwfix. Last
ages.Though havent tried them in an impact driver. I reckon they last
for at least a month (per bit). There are not many days when my driver
is not used, from fencing to kitchens, so a large variety of use,
mainly woodscrews into wood or plugs.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Like you, I use Wera diamond coated bits. I find they give me the best
life in the impact driver, even better than the Wera iron bits (which
is meant specifically for impact drivers).

I don't know *why* the Wera diamond last better than all the others
(for me). Possibly a factor is the expense making me extra careful.

However I do tend to use PZ3 maybe 75% of the time (6mm spax and
turbogold), which are a good bit tougher - if you have the option of
going to a larger screw size, that may be a good route to follow (e.g.
PZ3 or Torx).

Another make I picked up at the builders merchants is Fischer (or
Fisher?) - not seen them anywhere else, expensive, but their Torx bits
have proven very robust.

One tip - if the battery is getting a bit flat - stop. I've broken far
bits with the impact driver when it's starting to slow, that at any
other time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:

I usually buy Wera diamond-coated bits and make them last for as long as
possible (months, rather than days or weeks).

However, I've just bought my first impact driver (yay! oodles of yummy
torque!) and managed to completely trash the PZ2 bit supplied whilst
just trying the damn thing out.

I used to use Wiha bits, but found they did not last that long in the
impact driver - they were a little too hard. The Wera diamond ones
though seem to be doing ok. I bought about 8 a couple of years back and
still have some left.

The key is to not let the bit rattle in the head of the screw - keep it
in contact and don't hold the driver too loosely against it (no need to
push as hard as one would with an ordinary drill driver though). Take
care as you complete the drive to have released the trigger before you
pull away from the screw.

The other point worth noting is the screw type used has an effect as
well. Screwfix goldscrews being a little easier on the bits than the
quicksilver ones. (probably because the twinthread ones need more
driving force)

Now I can't afford to keep buying diamond-tipped bits if they're only
going to last 5 minutes in the new beast, so I'm looking for your
comments, please...

Sometimes the slightly less hard ones are better (but not plain steel)

How long do bits last for you?

Hard to quantify - depends on how much work you are doing. If doing
nothing but screwing largish quicksilver screws (2" or over) - then I
might get through a bit every few boxes (say 400 to 600 screws) - which
I might get through in a day. Smaller screws (or a mixture of sizes) and
less intensive use could leave a bit lasting many months.

Considering that the likes of DeWalt sell them in packs of 25, does this
mean that even the hallowed DeWalt brand is actually not very hard
wearing, or do some people just go through them like wildfire (either
because they do a lot of dry-lining/decking or because they're careless
with their tool)?

To an extent they have to be considered a consumable item. However this
might be a price you pay for being able to increase your work rate by
50%. Unlike working with a drill driver, you can't always take quite as
much care with the bits - if you do let it cam out for example, there is
a much greater chance of damaging the bit than with a conventional driver.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
Dave Osborne wrote:

However, I've just bought my first impact driver (yay! oodles of yummy
torque!) and managed to completely trash the PZ2 bit supplied whilst
just trying the damn thing out.

Wierd! I've just been doing the same! (trying out my new impact driver, not
breaking your bits )

What brand do you use?

Do you go for standard quality or expensive (e.g. extra-hard/diamond
coated)?

Yep, I was wondering the exact same question. I did stick a pack of 25
Dewalt ones on the order as they are on clearance from Screwfix at the mo
but hadn't realised that I'd need a bit holder to use them in the impact
driver (duh! Hadn't thought about that ). I do have a cheapish bit
holder but I'm not convinced that will be up to impact driving hundreds
of screws into a deck.

Any recommendations on bit holders as well.

Cheers,

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:14:50 +0100, Peter Andrews wrote:

It always makes me smile when a pack of 25 Pozidrive bits comes with the
words "Guaranteed for life" - I assume life means until they break!

er, no, means that your life expectancy is divided by 25.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
[...]

I use either the DeWalt box of 25 or the Wickes boxes, cheap as chips bits.
I found the expensive ones shattered more easily, especially in impact
drivers.

Bits are a consumable. Having said that I used to use maybe 2 bits on a
deck with 1800 screws in it, so not very consumable. I just buy a box of 25
every now & then.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dmc wrote:
In article ,
Dave Osborne wrote:

However, I've just bought my first impact driver (yay! oodles of
yummy torque!) and managed to completely trash the PZ2 bit supplied
whilst just trying the damn thing out.

Wierd! I've just been doing the same! (trying out my new impact
driver, not breaking your bits )

What brand do you use?

Do you go for standard quality or expensive (e.g. extra-hard/diamond
coated)?

Yep, I was wondering the exact same question. I did stick a pack of 25
Dewalt ones on the order as they are on clearance from Screwfix at
the mo but hadn't realised that I'd need a bit holder to use them in
the impact driver (duh! Hadn't thought about that ). I do have a
cheapish bit holder but I'm not convinced that will be up to impact
driving hundreds
of screws into a deck.

Any recommendations on bit holders as well.

Even cheap ones seem to last pretty well. I use the Wickes or SF bog
standard ones.

These are really good for akward jobs
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68068/...net-Rapidaptor

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Any recommendations on bit holders as well.

Even cheap ones seem to last pretty well. I use the Wickes or SF bog
standard ones.

Ah, ok then. Maybe this one will last after all

These are really good for akward jobs
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68068/...net-Rapidaptor

Sounds like something from Jurassic Park

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dmc" wrote in message ...

Any recommendations on bit holders as well.

The wera bitortion one.
Its supposed to make the bits last longer.
It isn't true I lose them just as easily. 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
I usually buy Wera diamond-coated bits and make them last for as long
as possible (months, rather than days or weeks).

However, I've just bought my first impact driver (yay! oodles of yummy
torque!) and managed to completely trash the PZ2 bit supplied whilst
just trying the damn thing out.

OH BTW, make sure you use PH bits for PH screws & PZ bits for PZ screws.
Impact drivers are very unforgiving if you use the wrong bit.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Dave Osborne wrote:
I usually buy Wera diamond-coated bits and make them last for as long
as possible (months, rather than days or weeks).

However, I've just bought my first impact driver (yay! oodles of yummy
torque!) and managed to completely trash the PZ2 bit supplied whilst
just trying the damn thing out.

OH BTW, make sure you use PH bits for PH screws & PZ bits for PZ screws.
Impact drivers are very unforgiving if you use the wrong bit.

I've had Wera hand drivers before and been very impressed. But I've chewed
up the PZ2 Wera diamond jobbie mentioned here pretty fast with my fliddy
little Bosch electric driver.

Pity that we're stuck with PZ and Phillips for the majority of screws, both
of which are totally crap for house building (why would *we* want designed
cam out on a fixing?). I'd rather have Torx on everything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A bit OT: the idea of a battery powered impact driver is new to me (I
have one you hit with a hammer). Why would one use this rather than a
normal power drill for placing wood screws?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
A bit OT: the idea of a battery powered impact driver is new to me (I
have one you hit with a hammer). Why would one use this rather than a
normal power drill for placing wood screws?

That confused me too,
the old hammer one is for vehicle mechanics freeing up rusted bolts

the battery ones drive screws into oak etc,
when they hit harder wood they sort of move down gear
like a mini racing up a hill -

its the best thing ive learnt in over a year on this newsgroup,
my life changed when i bought one!...

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
A bit OT: the idea of a battery powered impact driver is new to me (I
have one you hit with a hammer). Why would one use this rather than a
normal power drill for placing wood screws?

They work like a normal drill driver until a certain resistance is met, then
they hammer the bit, not too & fro like a hammer drill, but in a circular
motion.

Much faster driving of screws, especially large screws. For example, 65mm
deck screw goes in so fast you don't have time to pick up the next one
before its home. 6mm x 90mm coach screw, no pilot hole, less than 4
seconds.

Useful for removing stubborn screws. No torque transmitted back to your
wrist.

More info here http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Impact_driver

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 22:47:19 +0100, Tim S wrote:
Pity that we're stuck with PZ and Phillips for the majority of screws, both
of which are totally crap for house building (why would *we* want designed
cam out on a fixing?). I'd rather have Torx on everything.

The latter seems pretty common for decking these days, at least in these
parts - it's not quite migrated to use in other house structures yet,
though.

Re. bits, I just buy a cheap pack every once in a while...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

More info here http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Impact_driver

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...t-drivers.aspx

Is worth a look as well. Shows how they work and why they are different.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dmc wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

More info here
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Impact_driver

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...t-drivers.aspx

Is worth a look as well. Shows how they work and why they are
different.

Brilliant. Thanks Darren.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:47:33 +0100, Dave Osborne
wrote:

I usually buy Wera diamond-coated bits and make them last for as long as
possible (months, rather than days or weeks).

However, I've just bought my first impact driver (yay! oodles of yummy
torque!) and managed to completely trash the PZ2 bit supplied whilst
just trying the damn thing out.

I did the same with my Makita TD020. The long bits supplied were the
poorest quality bits I've ever used. Presumably they were made of
titanium nitride coated cheese, they shattered after a few screws.

The own brand bits I buy in bulk from Axminster were much better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

I usually buy Wera diamond-coated bits and make them last for as long as
possible (months, rather than days or weeks).

However, I've just bought my first impact driver (yay! oodles of yummy
torque!) and managed to completely trash the PZ2 bit supplied whilst
just trying the damn thing out.

I did the same with my Makita TD020. The long bits supplied were the
poorest quality bits I've ever used. Presumably they were made of
titanium nitride coated cheese, they shattered after a few screws.

The own brand bits I buy in bulk from Axminster were much better.

The PZ2 ones weren't up to much - but my PZ3s were (still are) pretty good.

I have got what I think are Axminster Ti coated ones which work very
well. But don't go buying - I might be mis-remembering exactly which
ones they are. Def. Ti coated. Def. from Axminster. Brand is uncertain
but likely their own.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I've ordered a box of DeWalts, so
we'll see how long they last...

Rumble