Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default long leg jiffy hangers

I will need to hang several purlins from a masonry wall at an angle.
Inserting masonry/timber hangers into the wall and getting all purlins
in line would be very tricky. Hence I will put a ledger plate on the
angle with expanding bolts and fix the purlins using jiffy hangers.
Each will have to support aboud 100kg. Purlins are 225mm x 75mm. Will
long legged jiffy hangers be sufficient for this ?
Thanks,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
I will need to hang several purlins from a masonry wall at an angle.
Inserting masonry/timber hangers into the wall and getting all purlins
in line would be very tricky. Hence I will put a ledger plate on the
angle with expanding bolts and fix the purlins using jiffy hangers.
Each will have to support aboud 100kg. Purlins are 225mm x 75mm. Will
long legged jiffy hangers be sufficient for this ?

Even the tiny hangers are good for 1.6kN typically. I think the long leg
ones are well over 6kN, so I can't see your 1kN troubling any of them.

http://www.dorseyconstructionmateria...jiffystd38.pdf

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
I will need to hang several purlins from a masonry wall at an angle.
Inserting masonry/timber hangers into the wall and getting all
purlins in line would be very tricky. Hence I will put a ledger
plate on the angle with expanding bolts and fix the purlins using
jiffy hangers. Each will have to support aboud 100kg. Purlins are
225mm x 75mm. Will long legged jiffy hangers be sufficient for this ?

Even the tiny hangers are good for 1.6kN typically. I think the long
leg ones are well over 6kN, so I can't see your 1kN troubling any of
them.

Been using the mini ones for decking joists for a few years, no problems. I
do screw then in rather than nail them though.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.dorseyconstructionmateria...BUILDERS_METAL...

--

Thanks.
Interesting catalogue. I noticed they have stainless expanded steel

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Apr, 08:33, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
I will need to hang several purlins from a masonry wall at an angle.
Inserting masonry/timber hangers into the wall and getting all
purlins in line would be very tricky. Hence I will put a ledger
plate on the angle with expanding bolts and fix the purlins using
jiffy hangers. Each will have to support aboud 100kg. Purlins are
225mm x 75mm. Will long legged jiffy hangers be sufficient for this ?

Even the tiny hangers are good for 1.6kN typically. I think the long
leg ones are well over 6kN, so I can't see your 1kN troubling any of
them.

Been using the mini ones for decking joists for a few years, no problems. *I
do screw then in rather than nail them though.

I'm always inclined to use screws, but wondered if the BCO would
question this. Certainly more pull-out resitance that twist shank
nails, but apparently screws are hardened and less ductile than nails,
which can actually give them worse properties under stress.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Indeed - the sheradised nails designed for this purpose are more than
adequate. There is little if any tension load on them (its all in
shear), and the lack of case hardening is an advantage - making the
fixing tougher overall. (not only that - they are much cheaper and you
get through thousands of them).

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

100 x 50 joist hangers Andrew Mawson UK diy 3 August 22nd 08 03:50 PM
Joist Hangers VisionSet UK diy 0 September 24th 06 11:25 PM
Jiffy-Lube Crooks JimL Home Repair 17 July 21st 06 06:33 PM
Joist Hangers [email protected] UK diy 2 April 10th 06 12:02 AM
Joists hangers Sasha Home Repair 39 July 11th 05 01:19 PM