Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] sm_jamieson@hotmail.com is offline

Default long leg jiffy hangers

On 30 Apr, 08:33, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
I will need to hang several purlins from a masonry wall at an angle.
Inserting masonry/timber hangers into the wall and getting all
purlins in line would be very tricky. Hence I will put a ledger
plate on the angle with expanding bolts and fix the purlins using
jiffy hangers. Each will have to support aboud 100kg. Purlins are
225mm x 75mm. Will long legged jiffy hangers be sufficient for this ?

Even the tiny hangers are good for 1.6kN typically. I think the long
leg ones are well over 6kN, so I can't see your 1kN troubling any of
them.

Been using the mini ones for decking joists for a few years, no problems. *I
do screw then in rather than nail them though.

I'm always inclined to use screws, but wondered if the BCO would
question this. Certainly more pull-out resitance that twist shank
nails, but apparently screws are hardened and less ductile than nails,
which can actually give them worse properties under stress.
Simon.