Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car Cig socket

I have a separate car cigarette socket that I want to wire to a 12V battery
the wires out the back are Black and Black with White stripe.
Is the black'n'white wire the positive?
--
Vass
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass coughed up some electrons that declared:

I have a separate car cigarette socket that I want to wire to a 12V
battery the wires out the back are Black and Black with White stripe.
Is the black'n'white wire the positive?

Probably - but it would be best to trace them with a multimeter.

Sometimes white can be used to denote 0V too. It's all a bit random.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:06:22 +0100, Vass wrote:

Is the black'n'white wire the positive?

Maybe, maybe not.

I suggest that if you don't have the kit to check you don't have the
skills/knowledge to fiddle.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Vass coughed up some electrons that declared:

I have a separate car cigarette socket that I want to wire to a 12V
battery the wires out the back are Black and Black with White stripe.
Is the black'n'white wire the positive?

Probably - but it would be best to trace them with a multimeter.

Sometimes white can be used to denote 0V too. It's all a bit random.

bugger, was hoping 2 hours of hunting for the multimeter was to be avoided.
Quicker to hook up a battery, wire and lightbulb from a torch :-)
thanks anyway
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
I have a separate car cigarette socket that I want to wire to a 12V battery
the wires out the back are Black and Black with White stripe.
Is the black'n'white wire the positive?

Can't you take the socket apart to see which wire is connected to the
outer part (-ve) and the contact at the bottom (+ve)?

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:06:22 +0100, Vass wrote:

Is the black'n'white wire the positive?

Maybe, maybe not.

I suggest that if you don't have the kit to check you don't have the
skills/knowledge to fiddle.

If those that "have the skills/knowledge" kept to an industry standard .....
but that would be too easy eh ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:10:12 +0100, Toby wrote:

Can't you take the socket apart to see which wire is connected to the
outer part (-ve) and the contact at the bottom (+ve)?

Makes the assumption that this is a modern car -ve earth car... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

If those that "have the skills/knowledge" kept to an industry standard
but that would be too easy eh ?

But, It won't be them in the wrong when it starts smokin' !!

Most people with the skills and knowledge prefer to meter these things
out for themselves rather than take stupid risks.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:10:12 +0100, Toby wrote:

Can't you take the socket apart to see which wire is connected to the
outer part (-ve) and the contact at the bottom (+ve)?

Makes the assumption that this is a modern car -ve earth car... B-)

Makes the assumption that this is a modern car with 12V battery

;-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 10:02*am, "Vass" wrote:
"Tim S" wrote in message

... Vass coughed up some electrons that declared:

I have a separate car cigarette socket that I want to wire to a 12V
battery the wires out the back are Black and Black with White stripe.
Is the black'n'white wire the positive?

Probably - but it would be best to trace them with a multimeter.

Sometimes white can be used to denote 0V too. It's all a bit random.

bugger, was hoping 2 hours of hunting for the multimeter was to be avoided.
Quicker to hook up a battery, wire and lightbulb from a torch :-)

And HTF will that identify the positive?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 10:35*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:10:12 +0100, Toby wrote:
Can't you take the socket apart to see which wire is connected to the
outer part (-ve) and the contact at the bottom (+ve)?

Makes the assumption that this is a modern car -ve earth car... *B-)

Also makes the assumption that it's anything to do with a car.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 10:59*am, Adrian C wrote:
Vass wrote:

If those that "have the skills/knowledge" kept to an industry standard
but that would be too easy eh ?

But, It won't be them in the wrong when it starts smokin' !!

Most people with the skills and knowledge prefer to meter these things
out for themselves rather than take stupid risks.

How about teaching those without the skills, instead of just telling
them they don't have them?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:10:12 +0100, Toby wrote:

Can't you take the socket apart to see which wire is connected to
the outer part (-ve) and the contact at the bottom (+ve)?

Makes the assumption that this is a modern car -ve earth car... B-)

Makes the assumption that this is a modern car with 12V battery

;-

I actually assumed it was not going to be installed in a car, as the OP said
it was a seperate socket (s)he wanted to wire to a 12V battery!

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toby" wrote in message
Tim S wrote:
Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:10:12 +0100, Toby wrote:

Can't you take the socket apart to see which wire is connected to
the outer part (-ve) and the contact at the bottom (+ve)?

Makes the assumption that this is a modern car -ve earth car... B-)

Makes the assumption that this is a modern car with 12V battery

;-

I actually assumed it was not going to be installed in a car, as the OP
said it was a seperate socket (s)he wanted to wire to a 12V battery!

yep, no car involved

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim S saying
something like:

Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:10:12 +0100, Toby wrote:

Can't you take the socket apart to see which wire is connected to the
outer part (-ve) and the contact at the bottom (+ve)?

Makes the assumption that this is a modern car -ve earth car... B-)

Makes the assumption that this is a modern car with 12V battery

;-

Makes the assumption that this is a car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Vass" writes:
I have a separate car cigarette socket that I want to wire to a 12V battery
the wires out the back are Black and Black with White stripe.
Is the black'n'white wire the positive?

In addition to other comments, include a fuse in the battery terminal
lead, near the battery - an in-line fuse from a car accessory shop
would do. Slightly reduces the chance of it burning down your house.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vass
writes

"Tim S" wrote in message
. ..
Vass coughed up some electrons that declared:

I have a separate car cigarette socket that I want to wire to a 12V
battery the wires out the back are Black and Black with White stripe.
Is the black'n'white wire the positive?

Probably - but it would be best to trace them with a multimeter.

Sometimes white can be used to denote 0V too. It's all a bit random.

bugger, was hoping 2 hours of hunting for the multimeter was to be avoided.
Quicker to hook up a battery, wire and lightbulb from a torch :-)
thanks anyway

Just open it up and have a look to see which is the pin

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

If those that "have the skills/knowledge" kept to an industry standard
but that would be too easy eh ?

But, It won't be them in the wrong when it starts smokin' !!

Most people with the skills and knowledge prefer to meter these things
out for themselves rather than take stupid risks.

How about teaching those without the skills, instead of just telling
them they don't have them?

I think the OP has the skills (mentioned battery, bulb, multimeter),
just needs to be aware that the skills should be used, instead of taking
risks that a cable polarity marking scheme exists. It doesn't, which is
the point I was making. I wasn't calling the OP stupid, I was saying
that the risks were stupid.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:28:30 UTC, "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

On Apr 29, 10:02Â*am, "Vass" wrote:
"Tim S" wrote in message

... Vass coughed up some electrons that declared:

I have a separate car cigarette socket that I want to wire to a 12V
battery the wires out the back are Black and Black with White stripe.
Is the black'n'white wire the positive?

Probably - but it would be best to trace them with a multimeter.

Sometimes white can be used to denote 0V too. It's all a bit random.

bugger, was hoping 2 hours of hunting for the multimeter was to be avoided.
Quicker to hook up a battery, wire and lightbulb from a torch :-)

And HTF will that identify the positive?

He only needs to see which wire is connected to which terminal.
Batt/wire/bulb is a continuity tester...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

If those that "have the skills/knowledge" kept to an industry standard
but that would be too easy eh ?

But, It won't be them in the wrong when it starts smokin' !!

Most people with the skills and knowledge prefer to meter these things
out for themselves rather than take stupid risks.

How about teaching those without the skills, instead of just telling
them they don't have them?

People power. If you think that someone is

(a) got too much attitude, and
(b) too little real sense

then handing them a set of skills they aren't fit to use is likely to
land you on a charge of something or other.

Blame the way the system is. Dorks Rule OK.

Smart people have learnt that nobody likes a smartass, so are content to
simply charge the limit for competence, it being a rare and expesnive
commodity.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Apr, 11:28, "Man at B&Q" wrote:
On Apr 29, 10:02*am, "Vass" wrote:

"Tim S" wrote in message

... Vass coughed up some electrons that declared:

I have a separate car cigarette socket that I want to wire to a 12V
battery the wires out the back are Black and Black with White stripe..
Is the black'n'white wire the positive?

Probably - but it would be best to trace them with a multimeter.

Sometimes white can be used to denote 0V too. It's all a bit random.

bugger, was hoping 2 hours of hunting for the multimeter was to be avoided.
Quicker to hook up a battery, wire and lightbulb from a torch :-)

And HTF will that identify the positive?

MBQ

You set up the Battery, lightbulb and wire such that they make a
complete circuit and the bulb lights. Then you break the circuit and
attach one end of it to the centre pin on the socket and then attach
the other end of it to one of the wires coming out of the socket. If
the bulb lights, then you have found the wire you should connect to
+ve. if it doesn't then move onto the other wire, if the bulb lights,
this is the one.. It also allows you to check for shorts (in this
case the bulb would light whichever wire was connected. Also if
neither light, then neither wire connects and the socket/wire assembly
is dud.

HTH

Sky+ socket anywhere? JoeJoe UK diy 4 November 21st 06 04:07 PM
Help with outside socket htmark98 UK diy 12 March 20th 06 10:17 PM
2.5mm DC socket [email protected] UK diy 31 February 15th 06 11:24 AM
OT-ish PIR Socket Ash UK diy 2 March 9th 05 07:26 PM
Odd BT socket Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 28 September 28th 04 11:24 AM