Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cavity wall Insulation for narrow cavity

Hi

Cavity wall (brick & block) with a slightly narrow 1.5" cavity, any
advice re cavity filling it? What fill, if any, would work with such a
cavity? Any tips on diying it?

thanks,
NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi

Cavity wall (brick & block) with a slightly narrow 1.5" cavity, any
advice re cavity filling it? What fill, if any, would work with such a
cavity? Any tips on diying it?

Do you want to insulate and existing wall, or is this insulating a new
one as it is built?

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
coughed up some electrons that declared:
John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
Hi

Cavity wall (brick & block) with a slightly narrow 1.5" cavity, any
advice re cavity filling it? What fill, if any, would work with such
a cavity? Any tips on diying it?
Do you want to insulate and existing wall, or is this insulating a new
one as it is built?

Its an existing wall, and making holes in it to fill it is no problem.

Any of the normal loose blown in or injected cavity wall insulation
products then...

I thought most of them needed blowing in, I dont have the equipment.
I'd be looking at pour in, and polystyrene bead is the only one I
believe that can be done with. Are there any others? Any specific bead
size, coating, etc? The issue Tim mentioned of beads pouring out of
holes shouldnt be a problem.

NT

If it were me, I'd go with the beads if you really want to DIY it. Making
some sort of wide channel out of ply or thick cardboard and pouring them on
that and using it to direct them over the wall leaf into the cavity might
help - I guess there'll be a lot of volume of beads.

Would you be doing this from inside of out?

inside

If I were paying, fibre seems OK, but glued beads might be better from a
damp tracking POV (though I've never seen damp in the walls and the outside
is unrendered brick).

the wall is damp, and will stay so, but I cant see poly beads making
it worse. I think unglued ones would be an insurance policy though,
just in case. I have heard of the odd case where CWI made the damp
much worse, and needed to be removed, but IIRC those were from water
running down inside the cavity, which doesnt happen in this case.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I realised something else too, theres a balanced flue duct going
through the wall for a 3kW cast iron heater, so almost 3kW going
outside through that. Is that compatible with polystyrene bead? I
guess I know how to find out.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Does it run no more than warm to the touch in the bit you can get at? And is
it concentric? Any heat shield where it goes through the wall?

It's not going to take much to melt polystyrene

B&Q Cavity Wall Insulation £198 Slider UK diy 12 November 20th 08 10:47 PM
Cavity wall insulation - cavity too large ???? [email protected] UK diy 8 October 4th 08 01:12 PM
Cavity Wall Insulation - Do I Have It? Terence UK diy 0 March 15th 06 10:01 PM
Cavity wall insulation Haymish UK diy 7 November 30th 05 07:48 PM
Cavity wall insulation Fred UK diy 0 November 29th 05 03:23 PM