Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q Cavity Wall Insulation £198

Just wondered if anyone had got cavity wall insulation from B&Q. It's £198
for upto a 5 bedroom house.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Slider wrote:
Just wondered if anyone had got cavity wall insulation from B&Q. It's £198
for upto a 5 bedroom house.

Not from B&q but another company.
The same cost but these companies get a grant from the government.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dee" wrote in message
Slider wrote:
Just wondered if anyone had got cavity wall insulation from B&Q. It's
£198 for upto a 5 bedroom house.

Not from B&q but another company.
The same cost but these companies get a grant from the government.

How old is your house?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've had this deal from B&Q, it was in association with British Gas and
subcontracted to a local operator.

The firm that carried out the work (North Kent) were efficient and appeared
to do a reasonable job - as far as one can tell with this sort of
installation

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I've had this deal from B&Q, it was in association with British Gas and
subcontracted to a local operator.

The firm that carried out the work (North Kent) were efficient and
appeared to do a reasonable job - as far as one can tell with this sort of
installation

John

John, did they come around and perform a survey first? I have a new(ish)
2000/01 build property, which I don't think has CWI.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:34:16 -0000 someone who may be "Slider"
wrote this:-

John, did they come around and perform a survey first? I have a new(ish)
2000/01 build property, which I don't think has CWI.

They all should. There wouldn't be much point sending two people and
a van to somewhere without cavities to fill. The "surveyor" will
drill a hole and use an endoscope to look inside the cavity.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Nov 19, 9:35*am, "Slider" wrote:
Just wondered if anyone had got cavity wall insulation from B&Q. *It's £198
for upto a 5 bedroom house.

Thanks for the tip. I have just put my order in.

My neighbour has just signed up to have theirs done and its is costing
them £50 more than B&Q.

Mind you with the B&Q and British Gas combination I have my fingers
crossed that the house will be left standing afterwards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, they performed a survey first, with the promise of money back if the
property was not suitable.
Ours was, of course - 1960's brick box.

John

wrote this:-

John, did they come around and perform a survey first? I have a new(ish)
2000/01 build property, which I don't think has CWI.

They all should. There wouldn't be much point sending two people and
a van to somewhere without cavities to fill. The "surveyor" will
drill a hole and use an endoscope to look inside the cavity.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
news
Does anyone know exactly what types of wall construction can have cavity
wall insulation?

I ask because I enquired to one of these companies that offer grant aided
insulation. A few days later a surveyor phoned and asked a few questions
about the house and said it could not be done as the house is built of

sand
stone. Yes the outer skin is stone but the inner skin is red brick with a
cavity in between and I have seen houses like ours being treated with

cavity
wall fill.

Mike

My house is similar construction. Over the years 3 separate surveyors have
said they will not fill the cavities.
The walls are keyed together by a number of large stone blocks on the
external wall extending through to the inner brickwork. They point out a
cavity fill will allow water bridging and invalidate any guarantees etc.
Annoying thing is that the central heating uses vast amounts of gas and a
cavity fill would be very, very effective.
The other month on offer was free cavity fills, free loft insulation and
free smoke and CO alarms!. Damned Victorian stone/brick construction meant I
ended up with nothing
What price energy efficiency and global warming?. My gas runs about £300 a
quarter, yet other than destroy/rebuild the house, there's nothing else I
can do!.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"john jardine" wrote in message

"Muddymike" wrote in message
[...]

Ours was built in the 1930s and when a chunk of the back wall was removed
last year for an extension there was no sign of the stone blocks you
mention. Our problem is the same as yours, massive gas bills and a not very
warm house. The lounge is the worst, having two outside walls, an outside
door, and a large bay window. See, for the type of construction.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10496?sort=5
From the tall thin window under the scaffolding around to the door is the
lounge. My sons bedroom is above sharing the same bay and that is also a
cold room.

I am wondering if its worth trying again and actually getting a surveyor to
come and look at the house this time. Most houses in Leyburn are built with
rough un cut stone, many with no cavity. Ours is the only one in the town I
am aware of built this way, so I wondered if the reason the last surveyor
didn't bother visiting was because he assumed ours would be the same as all
the others.

Mike

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"chudford" wrote in message
On Nov 19, 9:35 am, "Slider" wrote:
Just wondered if anyone had got cavity wall insulation from B&Q. It's £198
for upto a 5 bedroom house.

hanks for the tip. I have just put my order in.

My neighbour has just signed up to have theirs done and its is costing
them £50 more than B&Q.

Mind you with the B&Q and British Gas combination I have my fingers
rossed that the house will be left standing afterwards.

If you would have ordered through quidco you would have got 6% cashback as
well.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
[...]

From the tall thin window under the scaffolding around to the door is
the lounge. My sons bedroom is above sharing the same bay and that is
also a cold room.
I am wondering if its worth trying again and actually getting a
surveyor to come and look at the house this time. Most houses in
Leyburn are built with rough un cut stone, many with no cavity. Ours
is the only one in the town I am aware of built this way, so I
wondered if the reason the last surveyor didn't bother visiting was
because he assumed ours would be the same as all the others.

Mike

I can't see the OP, but as you and he seem to have the same problem, I will
try to explain:

If the stone in the cavity is undressed (that is to say, rough, not square,
flat, smooth faced) it canot be insulated with blown fibre or rockwool
because water naturally flows down the inside of the cavity when it rains -
with flat walls inside and out and a filled cavity, there are no voids in
the insulation that this rainwater can track across to the inside skin, so
it continues downwards and into the foundations.
With undressed stone, it's impossible to get a full fill, due to ridges and
bulges in the stone, and where these voids are is where any water will get
across.

Believe me, you definately _do not_ want CWI installing on this type of
house, unless you enjoy having several types of fungus and mushroom growing
out of all your walls, wallpaper and plaster falling off in sheets, and a
permenant smell of rotting wood in your house - joist ends, skirting boards,
door frames etc, both upstairs and down...believe me, I've seen it, I've
also seen a full housing estate (in Scotland, late 80's) get taken down
block by block, cavity cleaned and rebuilt at a cost of millions, so it's
with good reason why they won't install it

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
news

"Muddymike" wrote in message
news Does anyone know exactly what types of wall construction can have
cavity wall insulation?

Believe me, you definately _do not_ want CWI installing on this type of
house, unless you enjoy having several types of fungus and mushroom
growing out of all your walls, wallpaper and plaster falling off in
sheets, and a permenant smell of rotting wood in your house - joist ends,
skirting boards, door frames etc, both upstairs and down...believe me,
I've seen it, I've also seen a full housing estate (in Scotland, late
80's) get taken down block by block, cavity cleaned and rebuilt at a cost
of millions, so it's with good reason why they won't install it

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Thanks Phil, that was a good explanation. If the surveyor had explained it
as well as that I would have been a lot happier.

Mike

Cavity wall insulation - cavity too large ???? [email protected] UK diy 8 October 4th 08 01:12 PM
Damp patch 5 feet up wall ( not drying ), older building with mineral wool type Cavity Wall Insulation installed in receny years. ItsMe UK diy 14 July 28th 08 11:42 PM
cavity wall insulation LongYP UK diy 2 June 19th 06 03:52 PM
cavity wall insulation - interior wall ? completed now Pete Cross UK diy 2 May 12th 06 12:40 PM
Cavity wall insulation Fred UK diy 0 November 29th 05 03:23 PM