Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Bosch Ciso secateurs

I need to get a B'day present for my Dad, who's getting on a bit but
still likes his garden, and saw the Ciso secateurs in B+Q the other
day.

Just wondering if anyone had tried them and found out if they were
good or bad before lashing out 60 notes?

Cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Apr, 11:28, GMM wrote:

Just wondering if anyone had tried them and found out if they were
good or bad before lashing out 60 notes?

Bypass not anvil, so that might be relevant, depending on what he's
chopping. They also look quite short in the jaws?

Personally I like my secateurs to be lightweight. I wouldn't want to
trade ease of operation if they were awkward to carry. Li-ion
batteries though.

Indie seemed to like them
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...on=Popup&ino=5

Amazon is 50 quid, not 60.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On 24 Apr, 15:41, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 24 Apr, 11:28, GMM wrote:

Just wondering if anyone had tried them and found out if they were
good or bad before lashing out 60 notes?

Bypass not anvil, so that might be relevant, depending on what he's
chopping. They also look quite short in the jaws?

Personally I like my secateurs to be lightweight. I wouldn't want to
trade ease of operation if they were awkward to carry. Li-ion
batteries though.

Indie seemed to like themhttp://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/the...

Amazon is 50 quid, not 60.

Sadly no time to save a tenner! (A few quid cheaper at Screwfix than B
+Q though)
I guess the short jaws would be something to do with them being
battery-powered - maybe to stop trying to cut too much? I've never
really understood the bypass / anvil issue, but I've no doubt more
conscientious choppers-up of growing things than me will have
considered views on the benefits....
I'm sure they wouldn't do for everyone, but they seem a good idea if
you have a bit of arthritis / a weak grip, providing the battery has
enough oomph in it to cut and to last for a session.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Apr, 17:03, GMM wrote:

the bypass / anvil issue,

AIUI, anvils will cut thicknesses of stuff for "trimming" that bypass
won't, but bypass leaves a smoother cut, which is less prone to
disease entry, so it's favoured for posh stuff and fragile plants like
vines and roses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

GMM wrote:
I need to get a B'day present for my Dad, who's getting on a bit but
still likes his garden, and saw the Ciso secateurs in B+Q the other
day.

Just wondering if anyone had tried them and found out if they were
good or bad before lashing out 60 notes?

Cheers

Picked one up (physically, not as a purchase) the other day. The handle
was really uncomfortable. The switch was awkward. They felt as if there
wasn't a chance they would work well. Very disappointing.

Mind - any real world experience would trump my playing in the shop
experience. And other hands might find them more comfortable.

(I was also somewhat disappointed by the Isio trimmer thing. Bought a
Lidl one at less than half the price. And, within limits, it is fine.
NiMH rather than Li unfortunately.)

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 24 Apr, 17:03, GMM wrote:

the bypass / anvil issue,

AIUI, anvils will cut thicknesses of stuff for "trimming" that bypass
won't, but bypass leaves a smoother cut, which is less prone to
disease entry, so it's favoured for posh stuff and fragile plants like
vines and roses.

I'll generally use bypass for green stuff, and anvil for brittle, dead
stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:

Just wondering if anyone had tried them and found out if they were
good or bad before lashing out 60 notes?

That's a lot of dosh, for pruning shears. We buy quite a few for the
farm and £60 is getting on for the cost of a top-quality set of
pneumatic shears.

FWIW, most professionals seem to choose Felco (Swiss), they're extremely
good quality and easy to uuse for several hours at a stretch.

http://www.performance-felco.co.uk/p...price-88-p.asp

Felco also sell left handed pruners and models that hold the cut end
(preferred by florists).

For the sort of money that you are talking about you could get the
pruners, a leather holster and possibly be looking at a decent quality
pruning saw as well.

Of course if you want to really splash out, the top of the range Felco
models are about £2,000.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 24 Apr, 17:03, GMM wrote:

the bypass / anvil issue,

AIUI, anvils will cut thicknesses of stuff for "trimming" that bypass
won't, but bypass leaves a smoother cut, which is less prone to
disease entry, so it's favoured for posh stuff and fragile plants like
vines and roses.

I'll generally use bypass for green stuff, and anvil for brittle, dead
stuff.

Anvil can cut much thicker harder material. The downside is that the
blade doesnt meet the anvil perfectly, so it leaves stuff slightly
attached, which is a pain for thin soft material, for which bypass
work better.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, GMM
writes
I need to get a B'day present for my Dad, who's getting on a bit but
still likes his garden, and saw the Ciso secateurs in B+Q the other
day.

Just wondering if anyone had tried them and found out if they were
good or bad before lashing out 60 notes?

If your dad still has reasonable dexterity and strength I would suggest
spending 25-30 ukp on Felco secateurs. I tried the full range before
deciding on No 11 but Nos 2 and 4 are also popular for general pruning.

--
Robert

Random orbit sanders - green Bosch PEX400 vs blue Bosch GEX 125? Andy Dingley UK diy 4 January 12th 08 08:56 PM
Bosch PMF 180 The Medway Handyman UK diy 6 October 16th 07 10:40 AM
Bosch SDS [email protected] UK diy 5 April 23rd 07 06:40 AM
Bosch SDS John Rumm UK diy 4 March 25th 05 09:44 PM
Bosch bye-bye John Woodworking 18 December 2nd 04 04:45 AM