Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Two speed/ single speed domestic extractor fan ?

At the moment it's running at a single high speed and is quite noisy.
How do they work? I note that there are three leads coming from the fan
motor, two of which are connected i.e red & blue. The third is white and
isn't connected to anything, I assume it's a tapping on to the field coils
to reduce the magnetic field, and cause slippage to slow it down. would this
cause the motor to run at a higher temperature? or am I barking up the wrong
tree here. I'm loathe to try connecting the white lead without some
guidance.

Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
At the moment it's running at a single high speed and is quite noisy.
How do they work? I note that there are three leads coming from the fan
motor, two of which are connected i.e red & blue. The third is white and
isn't connected to anything, I assume it's a tapping on to the field coils
to reduce the magnetic field, and cause slippage to slow it down. would this
cause the motor to run at a higher temperature? or am I barking up the wrong
tree here. I'm loathe to try connecting the white lead without some
guidance.

Don

You're really not giving enough info here. If you want to quieten it
down, a series dropper is effective. There are also several other
ways:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....oise_reduction

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Donwill wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that, what I'm really looking for is information about the fan
motor, since it's got 3 leads going to it, a red, blue and a white, and as I
said before the white lead is terminated with an insulated crimp connector
which is not connected to anything. I suspect the manufacturers (Silavent
SVC6) use an universal 2 speed motor which can be used in one speed or 2
speed mode. I'm guessing that if I connect the white and blue across the
mains and disconnect the red it will run at a lower speed but I 'm loath to
try it.

On the back of the installation leaflet it has the following info :-

230V- AC. 50Hz
High speed /Single speed 35W
Low Speed 25W

Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
wrote in message
Donwill wrote:
[...]

why not check it with a multimeter, and if it fits what you suspect,
try running it in series with a lightbulb. At your own risk.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Good idea, I'll try that when I'm a bit more awake.
Cheers
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
[...]

Ok I've measured the resistance of the windings and they are as follows :-

Starting at the top draw two resistances in series vertically one above the
other. Now you have 3 wires connected to the network, a red one at the top,
a blue one as a centre tap, and the white one at the bottom.

DC Resistance, red to blue = 278ohms.
, blue to white = 80 ohms
, red to white = 358 ohms
The red and blue wires disappear into a printed circuit, the white is
floating and insulated.
My thought is to connect a changeover single pole switch (break before make
?) as follows :- common connect to pc where the blue went.
c/o1 blue, c/o2 white.

Any comments appreciated.

Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
[...]

Looks like it all fits what you suspect. Switch sounds right, but test
the fan first of course.

NT