Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Two speed/ single speed domestic extractor fan ?

Donwill wrote:
wrote in message
Donwill wrote:
At the moment it's running at a single high speed and is quite noisy.
How do they work? I note that there are three leads coming from the fan
motor, two of which are connected i.e red & blue. The third is white and
isn't connected to anything, I assume it's a tapping on to the field
coils
to reduce the magnetic field, and cause slippage to slow it down. would
this
cause the motor to run at a higher temperature? or am I barking up the
wrong
tree here. I'm loathe to try connecting the white lead without some
guidance.

Don

You're really not giving enough info here. If you want to quieten it
down, a series dropper is effective. There are also several other
ways:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....oise_reduction

Thanks for that, what I'm really looking for is information about the fan
motor, since it's got 3 leads going to it, a red, blue and a white, and as I
said before the white lead is terminated with an insulated crimp connector
which is not connected to anything. I suspect the manufacturers (Silavent
SVC6) use an universal 2 speed motor which can be used in one speed or 2
speed mode. I'm guessing that if I connect the white and blue across the
mains and disconnect the red it will run at a lower speed but I 'm loath to
try it.

On the back of the installation leaflet it has the following info :-

230V- AC. 50Hz
High speed /Single speed 35W
Low Speed 25W

Don

why not check it with a multimeter, and if it fits what you suspect,
try running it in series with a lightbulb. At your own risk.

NT