Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Built in oven, leccy or gas?

I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven.
Surely leccy cooking must be more expensive than gas?
Pros & cons - gas toast v leccy toast etc.
How many kW is a typical leccy oven?
Any experiences?
TIA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote in message
I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven.
Surely leccy cooking must be more expensive than gas?

Electric ovens tend to be better sealed so they may be cheaper.

Pros & cons - gas toast v leccy toast etc.

Buy a toaster and don't use the grill/oven.

How many kW is a typical leccy oven?

two to three kilowatts for about 30% duty cycle.

Any experiences?

I have a gas hob and an electric fan oven and wouldn't change either.

TIA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 12, 8:43 am, "brass monkey" wrote:
I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven.
Surely leccy cooking must be more expensive than gas?

To cook a roast in an electric oven would take about 1.5 kWh, or about
2% to 5% of the cost of the meat (which is very cheap in my country).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , brass monkey
writes
I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven.
Surely leccy cooking must be more expensive than gas?
Pros & cons - gas toast v leccy toast etc.
How many kW is a typical leccy oven?
Any experiences?

I prefer a fanned electric oven, though you can get fanned gas cookers
nowadays I've never tried them.

Though they try to sell it as a feature (and it is occasionally useful),
the temp gradient of a typical gas (or unfanned electric) oven is more
often a PITA. The bottom shelf of three in our gas oven is pretty much
useless for anything with things on the other shelves.

The even heating of a fanned oven means that you can sensibly cook on
all three shelves (say cooking pizzas or doing a roast dinner with
plenty of roasties and parsnips
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:
I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven.
Surely leccy cooking must be more expensive than gas?
Pros & cons - gas toast v leccy toast etc.
How many kW is a typical leccy oven?
Any experiences?
TIA.

It's a matter of personal opinion. I have a gas hob and wouldn't touch
an electric one. As to ovens, I'm easy either way but I would much
prefer a gas grill to the electric rubbish I've got at the moment. It's
not just toast you use it for - how about grilled bacon, beefburgers and
the rest?

Another Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:
I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven.
Surely leccy cooking must be more expensive than gas?
Pros & cons - gas toast v leccy toast etc.
How many kW is a typical leccy oven?
Any experiences?
TIA.

Gas toast is better!

Gas is instant-on, so toast is done quicker and loses less moisture from
the inside.

Electric takes a while to warm up, so toast takes longer and is less-moist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
brass monkey wrote:
I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven.
Surely leccy cooking must be more expensive than gas?
Pros & cons - gas toast v leccy toast etc.
How many kW is a typical leccy oven?
Any experiences?
TIA.

Gas toast is better!

Gas is instant-on, so toast is done quicker and loses less moisture from
the inside.

Electric takes a while to warm up, so toast takes longer and is less-moist.

I'd go along with all that. Gas for hob. Instant and controllable. Leccy
for oven. Dry even heat and not expensive. I've got one (not expensive)
that can used either for fan or conventional or a mixture. Company's
gone bust now though!

Yes the grill is more uncertain. Never had other than leccy but when
I've used gas I didn't like it. Probably unfamiliarity though.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:43:56 +0100, brass monkey wrote
(in article ):

I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven.
Surely leccy cooking must be more expensive than gas?
Pros & cons - gas toast v leccy toast etc.
How many kW is a typical leccy oven?
Any experiences?
TIA.

I've got a gas oven and grill and I don't like either. Electric seems much
more versatile; you can have a fan, top and/or bottom heat, timers etc. A gas
hob is essential though IMO.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:
brass monkey wrote:
I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven.
Surely leccy cooking must be more expensive than gas?
Pros & cons - gas toast v leccy toast etc.
How many kW is a typical leccy oven?
Any experiences?
TIA.

It's a matter of personal opinion. I have a gas hob and wouldn't touch
an electric one. As to ovens, I'm easy either way but I would much
prefer a gas grill to the electric rubbish I've got at the moment. It's
not just toast you use it for - how about grilled bacon, beefburgers and
the rest?

You would be better off frying them. This myth about grilling has no
subsatnce to it. When you fry, the gloop leaves the meat and stays in
the pan when you lift the meat out.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
brass monkey wrote:
I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven.
Surely leccy cooking must be more expensive than gas?
Pros & cons - gas toast v leccy toast etc.
How many kW is a typical leccy oven?
Any experiences?
TIA.

Gas toast is better!

Gas is instant-on, so toast is done quicker and loses less moisture from
the inside.

Electric takes a while to warm up, so toast takes longer and is less-moist.

I thought that the whole idea of toast was that it is crisp.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote in message
I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven.
Surely leccy cooking must be more expensive than gas?
Pros & cons - gas toast v leccy toast etc.
How many kW is a typical leccy oven?
Any experiences?
TIA.

One thing no-one tells you about...gas appliances are cheaper per KW
....however they are usually not on long. The key thing here is that gas
appliances obviously combust natural gas..and that very combustion process
requires air ingress into the room and more importantly created considerable
quantities of water vapour...cant remember the combustion formula now but
its astounding how much vapour gets into the air. My father used to have gas
hob and gas oven and there was condensate dripping down the walls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigGirlsBlouse" wrote in message

"brass monkey" wrote in message
I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven.
Surely leccy cooking must be more expensive than gas?
Pros & cons - gas toast v leccy toast etc.
How many kW is a typical leccy oven?
Any experiences?
TIA.

One thing no-one tells you about...gas appliances are cheaper per KW
...however they are usually not on long. The key thing here is that gas
appliances obviously combust natural gas..and that very combustion process
requires air ingress into the room and more importantly created
considerable quantities of water vapour...cant remember the combustion
formula now but its astounding how much vapour gets into the air. My
father used to have gas hob and gas oven and there was condensate dripping
down the walls.

Thanks folks, it's deffo gas hob and gas oven, I just hate crispy toast
I'll buy a gnome seat to watch the grill and also forget about a leccy
toaster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article , brass monkey
wrote:

"BigGirlsBlouse" wrote in message

"brass monkey" wrote in message
I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven. Surely leccy cooking
must be more expensive than gas? Pros & cons - gas toast v leccy
toast etc. How many kW is a typical leccy oven? Any experiences? TIA.

One thing no-one tells you about...gas appliances are cheaper per KW

[snip]

Thanks folks, it's deffo gas hob and gas oven, I just hate crispy toast
I'll buy a gnome seat to watch the grill and also forget about a
leccy toaster.

Has anyone any experience of induction hobs? We use a cheapo single hob
one (20 quid-ish from Netto) occasionally, but there are some sub 350 euros
in some Spanish / French supermarkets for glass topped full size ones

John

--
John Mulrooney

The grave's a fine and private place, but none I think do there embrace
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:43:56 +0100, "brass monkey" wrote:

I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven.

Electric fan oven every time. Preferably a double oven. Roughly the
same heat throughout, controllable.

Surely leccy cooking must be more expensive than gas?

Yes it is a bit - but the oven doesn't use that much (the hob has much
higher energy usage). The running cost difference isn't significant.

Pros & cons - gas toast v leccy toast etc.

As long as you leave the electric grill enough time to get up to heat
neither are significantly different.

How many kW is a typical leccy oven?

2 to 3

Any experiences?

After many oven/fuel combinations have been using gas hob/electric
oven for 15 years and wouldn't change.

built in or built under single oven? benpost UK diy 4 January 25th 08 06:37 PM
Built-in oven and hob problem Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com UK diy 8 December 13th 06 10:44 AM
GE Built In oven problems R. Kannan Home Ownership 0 May 27th 06 12:05 AM
Built in oven KTECH Home Repair 2 December 2nd 05 07:28 PM
Built in gas oven NikV UK diy 27 February 11th 04 07:35 PM