Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Default How high can a consumer unit be installed?

New regs appear to say between 0.75m and 1.2m. Does this apply if I am
replacing my old consumer unit and doing a partial rewire because I'd
like to place it near the roof at about 2.3m high?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In article
,
wrote:
New regs appear to say between 0.75m and 1.2m. Does this apply if I am
replacing my old consumer unit and doing a partial rewire because I'd
like to place it near the roof at about 2.3m high?

If you're changing from a fuse to MCB unit, I'd make sure it is within
reach of the occupants, as the lighting MCBs will likely trip each time a
bulb blows - unlike fuses.

--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
New regs appear to say between 0.75m and 1.2m. Does this apply if I am
replacing my old consumer unit and doing a partial rewire because I'd
like to place it near the roof at about 2.3m high?

If you're changing from a fuse to MCB unit, I'd make sure it is within
reach of the occupants, as the lighting MCBs will likely trip each time a
bulb blows - unlike fuses.

It helps to use type C MCBs on lighting circuits. However if you are
fond of mains halogens then they won't help much (I have seen them take
out re-wireable fuses)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
New regs appear to say between 0.75m and 1.2m. Does this apply if I am
replacing my old consumer unit and doing a partial rewire because I'd
like to place it near the roof at about 2.3m high?

If you're changing from a fuse to MCB unit, I'd make sure it is within
reach of the occupants, as the lighting MCBs will likely trip each time a
bulb blows - unlike fuses.

It helps to use type C MCBs on lighting circuits. However if you are
fond of mains halogens then they won't help much (I have seen them take
out re-wireable fuses)

We used to have 6 x 240v halogens in our kitchen and they took out the
5A fuse every time.
Now have a nice new split load CU and no halogens :-)

Our CU is about 2 metres up because that is where the old fuseboard was.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Fred wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
news
Fred wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
wrote:
New regs appear to say between 0.75m and 1.2m. Does this apply if I am
This really only applies to new builds and comes from Part M of the
building regs (accessibility for the disabled etc) and is not directly
related to the wiring regs. For an existing property the usual rule of
thumb is to make it no worse than it was originally.

When did this rule come to be? Mine is considerably higher, whilst not a
new build it was completely re-wired 2 or 3 years ago.

The oldest version of part M I can see is 1999.

That's interesting - so much for new rules being observed by accredited
electricians!

Part M applies to when the house was built - not the place re-wired. If
the house pre-dates part M there are sure to be any number of ways in
which it does not comply (things like a step over the front door
threshold rather than the completely flat path through that lets the
rain in as favoured these days).

Hence the odd non compliance during re-wiring is not going to alter the
overall compliance of the house IYSWIM.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
New regs appear to say between 0.75m and 1.2m. Does this apply if I am
replacing my old consumer unit and doing a partial rewire because I'd
like to place it near the roof at about 2.3m high?

If you're changing from a fuse to MCB unit, I'd make sure it is within
reach of the occupants, as the lighting MCBs will likely trip each
time a bulb blows - unlike fuses.

It helps to use type C MCBs on lighting circuits.

Not here it doesn't. ;-)

However if you are
fond of mains halogens then they won't help much (I have seen them take
out re-wireable fuses)

I've got quite a few but never had a fuse blow. Luck, obviously.

--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
New regs appear to say between 0.75m and 1.2m. Does this apply if I am
replacing my old consumer unit and doing a partial rewire because I'd
like to place it near the roof at about 2.3m high?
If you're changing from a fuse to MCB unit, I'd make sure it is within
reach of the occupants, as the lighting MCBs will likely trip each
time a bulb blows - unlike fuses.

It helps to use type C MCBs on lighting circuits.

Not here it doesn't. ;-)

I was not suggesting that a type C won't trip - just it should do it
less often than a type B.

(I have type C ones here and still get the occasional trip)

However if you are
fond of mains halogens then they won't help much (I have seen them take
out re-wireable fuses)

I've got quite a few but never had a fuse blow. Luck, obviously.

Possibly, having said that there are factors beyond your control that
will have some effect, like your supply impedance.

--
Cheers,

John.

Consumer unit Capt T UK diy 25 May 17th 08 04:56 PM
Consumer unit ΠDavid Love UK diy 10 October 24th 06 03:39 PM
Consumer Unit Nick UK diy 5 November 4th 04 11:48 PM
new consumer unit-do i need an RCD? tarquinlinbin UK diy 16 October 19th 04 10:52 AM