Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default How high can a consumer unit be installed?

John Rumm wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
New regs appear to say between 0.75m and 1.2m. Does this apply if I am
replacing my old consumer unit and doing a partial rewire because I'd
like to place it near the roof at about 2.3m high?

If you're changing from a fuse to MCB unit, I'd make sure it is within
reach of the occupants, as the lighting MCBs will likely trip each time a
bulb blows - unlike fuses.

It helps to use type C MCBs on lighting circuits. However if you are
fond of mains halogens then they won't help much (I have seen them take
out re-wireable fuses)

We used to have 6 x 240v halogens in our kitchen and they took out the
5A fuse every time.
Now have a nice new split load CU and no halogens :-)

Our CU is about 2 metres up because that is where the old fuseboard was.