Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default How high can a consumer unit be installed?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
New regs appear to say between 0.75m and 1.2m. Does this apply if I am
replacing my old consumer unit and doing a partial rewire because I'd
like to place it near the roof at about 2.3m high?
If you're changing from a fuse to MCB unit, I'd make sure it is within
reach of the occupants, as the lighting MCBs will likely trip each
time a bulb blows - unlike fuses.

It helps to use type C MCBs on lighting circuits.

Not here it doesn't. ;-)

I was not suggesting that a type C won't trip - just it should do it
less often than a type B.

(I have type C ones here and still get the occasional trip)

However if you are
fond of mains halogens then they won't help much (I have seen them take
out re-wireable fuses)

I've got quite a few but never had a fuse blow. Luck, obviously.

Possibly, having said that there are factors beyond your control that
will have some effect, like your supply impedance.

--
Cheers,

John.