Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default How high can a consumer unit be installed?

Fred wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
news
Fred wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
wrote:
New regs appear to say between 0.75m and 1.2m. Does this apply if I am
This really only applies to new builds and comes from Part M of the
building regs (accessibility for the disabled etc) and is not directly
related to the wiring regs. For an existing property the usual rule of
thumb is to make it no worse than it was originally.

When did this rule come to be? Mine is considerably higher, whilst not a
new build it was completely re-wired 2 or 3 years ago.

The oldest version of part M I can see is 1999.

That's interesting - so much for new rules being observed by accredited
electricians!

Part M applies to when the house was built - not the place re-wired. If
the house pre-dates part M there are sure to be any number of ways in
which it does not comply (things like a step over the front door
threshold rather than the completely flat path through that lets the
rain in as favoured these days).

Hence the odd non compliance during re-wiring is not going to alter the
overall compliance of the house IYSWIM.

--
Cheers,

John.