Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Google Streets?

I have GoogleEarth, but what do I need to do to look at the Google
Streets images?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
I have GoogleEarth, but what do I need to do to look at the Google Streets
images?

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have GoogleEarth, but what do I need to do to look at the Google
Streets images?

Start off at Google Maps.

http://maps.google.com/

Enter a place name or address - in UK, it must be in one of the 26 towns
and cities that have Google Streets enabled.

Increase magnification so you can see individual streets.

Click-drag the brown man onto the street map at the point you would like
to view.

And that's it! Enjoy ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 22:02:12 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

I have GoogleEarth, but what do I need to do to look at the Google
Streets images?

Google for Google Maps and click the link ...It's just a wee icon (
like on a gents toilet door) that you drag on to the Street that you
have looked up .If there is a Street View ( not all streets are done
yet) the streets will turn blue( I think) in outline and a small
thumbnail of part of the street will appear ...just click it and
follow the arrows or the small logo down on the map itself
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bruce
writes
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have GoogleEarth, but what do I need to do to look at the Google
Streets images?

Start off at Google Maps.

http://maps.google.com/

Enter a place name or address - in UK, it must be in one of the 26 towns
and cities that have Google Streets enabled.

If you zoom out to show all/most of the UK, and then drag the little man
onto the map all the areas which are on Streetview are highlighted in
blue
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce explained on 20/03/2009 :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have GoogleEarth, but what do I need to do to look at the Google
Streets images?

Start off at Google Maps.

http://maps.google.com/

Enter a place name or address - in UK, it must be in one of the 26 towns
and cities that have Google Streets enabled.

Increase magnification so you can see individual streets.

Click-drag the brown man onto the street map at the point you would like
to view.

And that's it! Enjoy ...

Thanks, got it now - but cannot find myself anywhere I thought I might
have been caught :-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have GoogleEarth, but what do I need to do to look at the Google
Streets images?

Start off at Google Maps.

http://maps.google.com/

Enter a place name or address - in UK, it must be in one of the 26
towns and cities that have Google Streets enabled.

Increase magnification so you can see individual streets.

Click-drag the brown man onto the street map at the point you would
like to view.

And that's it! Enjoy ...

Thanks, got it now - but cannot find myself anywhere I thought I might
have been caught :-)

Funny that. I had not appreciated this part of Google and looked at various
haunts that I recognise from years ago in Brumagen and thought "Thank
goodness that I do not have criminal intents.".

Powerful, init?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Bruce
writes

If you zoom out to show all/most of the UK, and then drag the little man
onto the map all the areas which are on Streetview are highlighted in blue
--
Chris French

Thanks!

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have GoogleEarth, but what do I need to do to look at the Google
Streets images?

SWMBO was walking down the street today and watched this bizarre car
driving down the road past her; then later she saw the picture of the
GoogleStreetView car in the newspaper. So we're now waiting for the next
release of UK towns to see if she makes an appearance!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:

If you zoom out to show all/most of the UK, and then drag the little man
onto the map all the areas which are on Streetview are highlighted in
blue

Thanks Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster has brought this to us :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have GoogleEarth, but what do I need to do to look at the Google Streets
images?

SWMBO was walking down the street today and watched this bizarre car driving
down the road past her; then later she saw the picture of the
GoogleStreetView car in the newspaper. So we're now waiting for the next
release of UK towns to see if she makes an appearance!

David

I saw the cars a number of times and made a note of where I saw them,
in anticipation of seeing me or my car at least once, but I can't see
me on any of them.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have GoogleEarth, but what do I need to do to look at the Google
Streets images?

SWMBO was walking down the street today and watched this bizarre car
driving down the road past her; then later she saw the picture of the
GoogleStreetView car in the newspaper. So we're now waiting for the
next release of UK towns to see if she makes an appearance!

David

I saw the cars a number of times and made a note of where I saw them, in
anticipation of seeing me or my car at least once, but I can't see me on
any of them.

I wonder how they manage to hide the car registration plates on so much
footage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
. ..
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have GoogleEarth, but what do I need to do to look at the Google
Streets images?

SWMBO was walking down the street today and watched this bizarre car
driving down the road past her; then later she saw the picture of the
GoogleStreetView car in the newspaper. So we're now waiting for the next
release of UK towns to see if she makes an appearance!

David

I saw the cars a number of times and made a note of where I saw them, in
anticipation of seeing me or my car at least once, but I can't see me on
any of them.

I wonder how they manage to hide the car registration plates on so much
footage.

Strange how we haven't found a word to replace "footage"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

I wonder how they manage to hide the car registration plates on so much
footage.

Not very well. My neighbour has his at the top of his horsebox. It's
displayed plain as day.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

I wonder how they manage to hide the car registration plates on so much
footage.

Not very well. My neighbour has his at the top of his horsebox. It's
displayed plain as day.

That's interesting. I suppose the software assumes plates will be at a
certain height.
As for sign written vehicles, one wonders how many "What were you doing
there?" incidents there will be
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

I wonder how they manage to hide the car registration plates on so much
footage.

I found one street where all the car registration numbers were clearly
visible. There was no evidence of any attempt to obscure them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Stuart Noble wrote:
I wonder how they manage to hide the car registration plates on so much
footage.

Automatically. Ditto faces. The algorithm isn't perfect, and you get
unobscured faces/number plates (which are often noticed and fixed) and
oddly blurred road signs etc (which usually aren't).

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bruce
writes
chris French wrote:

If you zoom out to show all/most of the UK, and then drag the little man
onto the map all the areas which are on Streetview are highlighted in
blue

I notice that it tripped a speed warning in Watford - naughty bois !

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

In message , Bruce
writes
chris French wrote:

If you zoom out to show all/most of the UK, and then drag the little man
onto the map all the areas which are on Streetview are highlighted in
blue

I notice that it tripped a speed warning in Watford - naughty bois !

I noticed on one street in Finchley it caught a driver pulling out right
in front of the camera car, driving all of 100 yards, slamming on the
brakes then parking on the other side of the road.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:32:50 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

geoff wrote:

In message , Bruce
writes
chris French wrote:

If you zoom out to show all/most of the UK, and then drag the little man
onto the map all the areas which are on Streetview are highlighted in
blue

I notice that it tripped a speed warning in Watford - naughty bois !

I noticed on one street in Finchley it caught a driver pulling out right
in front of the camera car, driving all of 100 yards, slamming on the
brakes then parking on the other side of the road.

I'm sure you won't mind if we ask to see that ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have GoogleEarth, but what do I need to do to look at the Google
Streets images?

Start off at Google Maps.

http://maps.google.com/

Enter a place name or address - in UK, it must be in one of the 26 towns
and cities that have Google Streets enabled.

Increase magnification so you can see individual streets.

Click-drag the brown man onto the street map at the point you would like
to view.

And that's it! Enjoy ...

Thanks, got it now - but cannot find myself anywhere I thought I might
have been caught :-)

I saw one of their camera cars driving along, probably a couple of years ago.
Unfortunately, I can't remember where I was at the time.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

the wrote:

I noticed on one street in Finchley it caught a driver pulling out right
in front of the camera car, driving all of 100 yards, slamming on the
brakes then parking on the other side of the road.

I'm sure you won't mind if we ask to see that ?

Are you sure? On what basis did you become sure that you knew what I
minded or not? Did you take into account my famous dislike of ****s
hiding behind wanky aliases and those who ignore news.individual.net's
T&Cs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:

Automatically. Ditto faces. The algorithm isn't perfect, and you get
unobscured faces/number plates (which are often noticed and fixed) and
oddly blurred road signs etc (which usually aren't).

KFCs amuse me - see http://tiny.cc/kfckfc

:-)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 10:01:44 -0000, John wrote:

Strange how we haven't found a word to replace "footage"

Byteage?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, Stuart Noble wrote:
I wonder how they manage to hide the car registration plates on so much
footage.

Automatically. Ditto faces. The algorithm isn't perfect, and you get
unobscured faces/number plates (which are often noticed and fixed) and
oddly blurred road signs etc (which usually aren't).

Quite funny how the frames are stitched together
Note the disappearing traffic warden on the left, after the barsteward had
stuck a ticket on my car!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...ybridge+roa d
+london&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=8.438982,16.391602&ie=UTF8&ll=51.463 954
,-0.152435&spn=0,359.965668&z=15&iwloc=addr&layer=c& cbll=51.463827,-0.152392
&panoid=HsCFbaHIml7ro5oVaoE6mA&cbp=12,172.20719726 154618,,0,5

tinyurl don't seem to work with ^ url so you will have to C&P

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 00:16:58 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

Mike Barnes wrote in message
d...
In uk.d-i-y, Stuart Noble wrote:
I wonder how they manage to hide the car registration plates on so much
footage.

Automatically. Ditto faces. The algorithm isn't perfect, and you get
unobscured faces/number plates (which are often noticed and fixed) and
oddly blurred road signs etc (which usually aren't).

Quite funny how the frames are stitched together
Note the disappearing traffic warden on the left, after the barsteward had
stuck a ticket on my car!

And how (your?) car seems to have gone into warp! ;-)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...ybridge+roa d
+london&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=8.438982,16.391602&ie=UTF8&ll=51.463 954
,-0.152435&spn=0,359.965668&z=15&iwloc=addr&layer=c& cbll=51.463827,-0.152392
&panoid=HsCFbaHIml7ro5oVaoE6mA&cbp=12,172.2071972 6154618,,0,5

tinyurl don't seem to work with ^ url so you will have to C&P

If you use their link icon (top right) then give that to Tinyurl that
seems to work ...

http://tinyurl.com/c9whxw

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 00:16:58 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

Quite funny how the frames are stitched together
Note the disappearing traffic warden on the left, after the barsteward had
stuck a ticket on my car!

And how (your?) car seems to have gone into warp! ;-)

Mine was parked a bit farther up the road, I had tenants moving out so only
stopped briefly to check the house, and their hire van also got a ticket.

tinyurl don't seem to work with ^ url so you will have to C&P

If you use their link icon (top right) then give that to Tinyurl that
seems to work ...

http://tinyurl.com/c9whxw

Yes thanks that works..

Seems the camera car use a very complicated route to cover all the side
streets in town, Some pictures are going up a road and others, on the same
road, are coming back the other way

quite how all this is stitched together later is to me a minor miracle.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

Seems the camera car use a very complicated route to cover all the side
streets in town, Some pictures are going up a road and others, on the same
road, are coming back the other way

quite how all this is stitched together later is to me a minor miracle.

The drive down Oxford Road in Manchester is amusing because the view
flips backwards and forwards between rainy and sunny. Which leads to the
inevitable question, how on earth did they find a sunny day in
Manchester?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Stuart Noble wrote:
I wonder how they manage to hide the car registration plates on so much
footage.

Automatically. Ditto faces. The algorithm isn't perfect, and you get
unobscured faces/number plates (which are often noticed and fixed) and
oddly blurred road signs etc (which usually aren't).

Quite funny how the frames are stitched together
Note the disappearing traffic warden on the left, after the barsteward had
stuck a ticket on my car!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...ybridge+roa d
+london&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=8.438982,16.391602&ie=UTF8&ll=51.463 954
,-0.152435&spn=0,359.965668&z=15&iwloc=addr&layer=c& cbll=51.463827,-0.152392
&panoid=HsCFbaHIml7ro5oVaoE6mA&cbp=12,172.20719726 154618,,0,5

tinyurl don't seem to work with ^ url so you will have to C&P

-

I found this workman allowing his attention to drift. Follow his line of
sight to see why.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mpl?mo...n&utm_term=svp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
et...

"Mark" wrote in message

I found this workman allowing his attention to drift. Follow his line of
sight to see why.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mpl?mo...n&utm_term=svp

That’s just a map of london!

As Tim said

"If you use their link icon (top right) then give that to Tinyurl that seems
to work ..."

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Mark wrote:

Seems the camera car use a very complicated route to cover all the side
streets in town, Some pictures are going up a road and others, on the
same
road, are coming back the other way

quite how all this is stitched together later is to me a minor miracle.

The drive down Oxford Road in Manchester is amusing because the view
flips backwards and forwards between rainy and sunny. Which leads to the
inevitable question, how on earth did they find a sunny day in
Manchester?

Can’t they afford cars in Manchester

Or has congestion charging forced everyone off the road, it like a ghost
town.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
et...

"Mark" wrote in message

I found this workman allowing his attention to drift. Follow his line of
sight to see why.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mpl?mo...n&utm_term=svp

That's just a map of london!

As Tim said

"If you use their link icon (top right) then give that to Tinyurl that
seems to work ..."

Well it wasn't that exciting! So let's see if the method works.

http://tinyurl.com/czjcre

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:

I found this workman allowing his attention to drift. Follow his line of
sight to see why.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mpl?mo...plets.com/sv/l
ondon/mapplet.xml&utm_campaign=en_GB&utm_medium=lp&utm_s ource=en_GB-lp-eme
a-gb-gns-svn&utm_term=svp

You need to learn how to give a link to Google Maps. That doesn't work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
et...

"Mark" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
et...

"Mark" wrote in message

I found this workman allowing his attention to drift. Follow his line of
sight to see why.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mpl?mo...n&utm_term=svp

That's just a map of london!

As Tim said

"If you use their link icon (top right) then give that to Tinyurl that
seems to work ..."

Well it wasn't that exciting! So let's see if the method works.

http://tinyurl.com/czjcre

mark

It works Mark.

Nice one