Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY disaster avoidance

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Trawling through the recent Horizon programme which seemed to be
inordinately long, i did see one that that interested us. There was one
safety chap who took his own smoke/breathing mask with him to hotels and
such like.

http://fseg.gre.ac.uk/fire/fire_safety_tips.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "dennis@home"
writes

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Trawling through the recent Horizon programme which seemed to be
inordinately long, i did see one that that interested us. There was
one safety chap who took his own smoke/breathing mask with him to
hotels and such like.

http://fseg.gre.ac.uk/fire/fire_safety_tips.html

Oh right, thanks, in the army my husband had a spare C&B suit which
seems rather overkill. The hoods seem like a reasonable thing to perhaps
acquire
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janet Tweedy submitted this idea :
Oh right, thanks, in the army my husband had a spare C&B suit which seems
rather overkill. The hoods seem like a reasonable thing to perhaps acquire

Oh come on...

I have worn a car seat belt for forty years and not once have I needed
to test it :-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Janet Tweedy submitted this idea :
Oh right, thanks, in the army my husband had a spare C&B suit which seems
rather overkill. The hoods seem like a reasonable thing to perhaps
acquire

Oh come on...

I have worn a car seat belt for forty years and not once have I needed to
test it :-)

They do restrain you while you are driving which I find helps a bit anyway.

The chances of injury in a motor accident are much higher tha being caught
in a hotel type fire.

Making sure that you know the route to a (hotel) fire escape does make
sense.

Taking appropriate and prompt action was the other message to the programme.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare formulated the question :
Making sure that you know the route to a (hotel) fire escape does make sense.

True, but the guy with the smoke mask seemed to me to be bordering on
on an obsessive/ compulsive disorder.

Taking appropriate and prompt action was the other message to the programme.

I must admit I was quite surprised by the reported delays and failures
to respond promptly to an emergency - though I suppose I really should
not be that surprised. I often carry out fire alarm tests on large
buildings and sometimes the tests do at times go wrong and the alarm
rings for longer than intended. I have yet to see anyone actually
respond to the alarm going off or even question why it might be
ringing.

Personally, if the alarm rings and I'm not aware of a planned test - I
move.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
Michael Chare formulated the question :
Making sure that you know the route to a (hotel) fire escape does make sense.

True, but the guy with the smoke mask seemed to me to be bordering on
on an obsessive/ compulsive disorder.

Taking appropriate and prompt action was the other message to the programme.

I must admit I was quite surprised by the reported delays and failures
to respond promptly to an emergency - though I suppose I really should
not be that surprised. I often carry out fire alarm tests on large
buildings and sometimes the tests do at times go wrong and the alarm
rings for longer than intended. I have yet to see anyone actually
respond to the alarm going off or even question why it might be
ringing.

Personally, if the alarm rings and I'm not aware of a planned test - I
move.

There's also the question of switching into the appropriate mode
of behaviour. The example I've heard twice on completely different
training events related to the Manchester Woolworths fire (IIRC).
In the resturant, customers who were eating showed some different
behaviours. Some left immediately. Others thought they'd better
go and pay for their meal before leaving, queued up at the till,
and not all of those made it out. It sounds silly when you say it,
but nevertheless, many people don't switch in to the appropriate
mode of behaviour when faced with something serious which demands
it. Similarly, fires in night clubs, some people try and leave
ASAP, but others walk towards the fire to see what's going on,
and are less likely to survive.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry
Bloomfield writes
Janet Tweedy submitted this idea :
Oh right, thanks, in the army my husband had a spare C&B suit which
seems rather overkill. The hoods seem like a reasonable thing to
perhaps acquire

Oh come on...

I have worn a car seat belt for forty years and not once have I needed
to test it :-)

Well not so My sister's husband was working in the garage about 10
years ago (he's a carpenter) later that night, about midnight their
house filled with smoke from the garage and the all had to get out in
semi darkness.
The children did better than they did as they were trained how to get
out of a fire at school only that week!

Something had spontaneously combusted in the garage by the wooden doors
and the garage was burnt out though the house just had smoke damage,

Maybe a wet towel is a better idea as some people suggested. So I'll
stick with that then...............
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If the alarm went of in an office where I worked I would assume (from past
experience) that it was likely to be a practice.
So arguably I have been conditioned over the years to be sceptical of
alarms.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...

I must admit I was quite surprised by the reported delays and failures to
respond promptly to an emergency - though I suppose I really should not be
that surprised. I often carry out fire alarm tests on large buildings and
sometimes the tests do at times go wrong and the alarm rings for longer
than intended. I have yet to see anyone actually respond to the alarm
going off or even question why it might be ringing.

I go out even if its a planned test.
I like breaking the glass tubes on the way out.
I am damn sure I wouldn't have stayed in a room filling with smoke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message

If the alarm went of in an office where I worked I would assume (from past
experience) that it was likely to be a practice.
So arguably I have been conditioned over the years to be sceptical of
alarms.

We had a race to break the glass tubes on the way out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...

I must admit I was quite surprised by the reported delays and
failures to respond promptly to an emergency - though I suppose I
really should not be that surprised. I often carry out fire alarm
tests on large buildings and sometimes the tests do at times go wrong
and the alarm rings for longer than intended. I have yet to see
anyone actually respond to the alarm going off or even question why
it might be ringing.

I go out even if its a planned test.

Of course you would - blind adherence to the rules

I like breaking the glass tubes on the way out.
I am damn sure I wouldn't have stayed in a room filling with smoke.

Look out Dave, he's after your fags again

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

As an aside, why haven't fire alarm sounds been unified into one easily
identifiable sound?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "dennis@home"
writes

"Michael Chare" wrote in message

If the alarm went of in an office where I worked I would assume (from
past experience) that it was likely to be a practice.
So arguably I have been conditioned over the years to be sceptical of
alarms.

We had a race to break the glass tubes on the way out.

Perhaps fire drills need to be made more authentic, as in the army where
you sometimes had live rounds in practice.

Perhaps a proper fire could be lit every 5 practices?

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
.uk...

I must admit I was quite surprised by the reported delays and failures
to respond promptly to an emergency - though I suppose I really should
not be that surprised. I often carry out fire alarm tests on large
buildings and sometimes the tests do at times go wrong and the alarm
rings for longer than intended. I have yet to see anyone actually
respond to the alarm going off or even question why it might be
ringing.

I go out even if its a planned test.

Of course you would - blind adherence to the rules

Staying put would be adherence not going out!
Why not stop trying to score points when you obviously aren't capable?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Janet Tweedy
saying something like:

Perhaps fire drills need to be made more authentic, as in the army where
you sometimes had live rounds in practice.

Perhaps a proper fire could be lit every 5 practices?

It really needs to be randomly to keep people on their toes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message k...

I must admit I was quite surprised by the reported delays and
failures to respond promptly to an emergency - though I suppose I
really should not be that surprised. I often carry out fire alarm
tests on large buildings and sometimes the tests do at times go
wrong and the alarm rings for longer than intended. I have yet to
see anyone actually respond to the alarm going off or even
question why it might be ringing.

I go out even if its a planned test.

Of course you would - blind adherence to the rules

Staying put would be adherence not going out!

Could you try that one in english, please?

Why not stop trying to score points when you obviously aren't capable?

Coz you're an arsehole

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. co.uk...

I must admit I was quite surprised by the reported delays and failures
to respond promptly to an emergency - though I suppose I really
should not be that surprised. I often carry out fire alarm tests on
large buildings and sometimes the tests do at times go wrong and the
alarm rings for longer than intended. I have yet to see anyone
actually respond to the alarm going off or even question why it
might be ringing.

I go out even if its a planned test.

Of course you would - blind adherence to the rules

Staying put would be adherence not going out!

Could you try that one in english, please?

Its you that doesn't understand English as is evidenced by your stupid
comment.

Why not stop trying to score points when you obviously aren't capable?

Coz you're an arsehole

You are the one that keeps posting the insults.
I just ignore you until you do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"
writes
I go out even if its a planned test.

Of course you would - blind adherence to the rules

I go out, even for a planned evacuation. It makes Site Services happy,
and you *never* want to upset them!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message k...

I must admit I was quite surprised by the reported delays and
failures to respond promptly to an emergency - though I suppose
I really should not be that surprised. I often carry out fire
alarm tests on large buildings and sometimes the tests do at
times go wrong and the alarm rings for longer than intended. I
have yet to see anyone actually respond to the alarm going off
or even question why it might be ringing.

I go out even if its a planned test.

Of course you would - blind adherence to the rules

Staying put would be adherence not going out!

Could you try that one in english, please?

Its you that doesn't understand English as is evidenced by your stupid
comment.

Sorry den - your above comment just isn't understandable english

Why not stop trying to score points when you obviously aren't capable?

Coz you're an arsehole

You are the one that keeps posting the insults.
I just ignore you until you do.

Yes - see my last reply

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message k...

I must admit I was quite surprised by the reported delays and
failures to respond promptly to an emergency - though I suppose I
really should not be that surprised. I often carry out fire
alarm tests on large buildings and sometimes the tests do at
times go wrong and the alarm rings for longer than intended. I
have yet to see anyone actually respond to the alarm going off
or even question why it might be ringing.

I go out even if its a planned test.

Of course you would - blind adherence to the rules

Staying put would be adherence not going out!

Not quite sure what you are trying to say here, so I can't second guess
the punctuation.

Could you try that one in english, please?

Its you that doesn't understand English as is evidenced by your stupid
comment.

I think you might find that you would not have had any comment about
your post if you had punctuated it correctly. Your sentence above lacks
a comma after the word English. Your other post suffered the same problem.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message k...

[...]

Until he does what?

Careful here Dennis, you are not making yourself understood again.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message k...
[...]

And why don't the police, fire & ambulance use different sirens so you can
tell which is which?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...

I must admit I was quite surprised by the reported delays and
failures to respond promptly to an emergency - though I suppose I
really should not be that surprised. I often carry out fire alarm
tests on large buildings and sometimes the tests do at times go
wrong and the alarm rings for longer than intended. I have yet to
see anyone actually respond to the alarm going off or even question
why it might be ringing.

I go out even if its a planned test.
I like breaking the glass tubes on the way out.

Deliberate vandalism? Putting others safety at risk? Tsk Dennis.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message k...

I must admit I was quite surprised by the reported delays and
failures to respond promptly to an emergency - though I suppose I
really should not be that surprised. I often carry out fire alarm
tests on large buildings and sometimes the tests do at times go
wrong and the alarm rings for longer than intended. I have yet to
see anyone actually respond to the alarm going off or even
question why it might be ringing.

I go out even if its a planned test.

Of course you would - blind adherence to the rules

I like breaking the glass tubes on the way out.
I am damn sure I wouldn't have stayed in a room filling with smoke.

Look out Dave, he's after your fags again

Must have run out of glue to sniff.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

I go out even if its a planned test.

Of course you would - blind adherence to the rules

Staying put would be adherence not going out!

Errm. So if the rules say 'go out' and you stay put, you are adhering to to
the rule that says 'go out', by staying put?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message k...
[...]

Good point, then you can decide if the police can push you into crossing
a stop line when a red light is showing.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:07:05 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

As an aside, why haven't fire alarm sounds been unified into one
easily identifiable sound?

Yes, all manner of hooters, bells (real or recorded), voice announcements
(in English only in an "international" hotel?). Maybe it's beacause one
place I worked for many years had two alarms; one get the F out and one to
stay put.

And why don't the police, fire & ambulance use different sirens so you
can tell which is which?

They do but not by very much. I can normally tell is siren is coming from
A police car, fire engine or ambulance. Police cars tend to be higher
pitch and a faster pace than the others, with fire engines lower pitched
and slower paced.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message

I think you might find that you would not have had any comment about your
post if you had punctuated it correctly. Your sentence above lacks a comma
after the word English. Your other post suffered the same problem.

There isn't any other interpretation so the comma would be a waste of
energy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message

You are the one that keeps posting the insults.
I just ignore you until you do.

Until he does what?

Careful here Dennis, you are not making yourself understood again.

Dave

Are you trying to be an idiot?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...

I must admit I was quite surprised by the reported delays and
failures to respond promptly to an emergency - though I suppose I
really should not be that surprised. I often carry out fire alarm
tests on large buildings and sometimes the tests do at times go
wrong and the alarm rings for longer than intended. I have yet to
see anyone actually respond to the alarm going off or even question
why it might be ringing.

I go out even if its a planned test.
I like breaking the glass tubes on the way out.

Deliberate vandalism? Putting others safety at risk? Tsk Dennis.

I would like to see you explain how it is putting others at risk?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

I go out even if its a planned test.

Of course you would - blind adherence to the rules

Staying put would be adherence not going out!

Errm. So if the rules say 'go out' and you stay put, you are adhering to
to the rule that says 'go out', by staying put?

You need a fag as you aren't thinking very well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

You are the one that keeps posting the insults.
I just ignore you until you do.

Until he does what?

Careful here Dennis, you are not making yourself understood again.

Dave

Are you trying to be an idiot?

No. Sometimes I do it in a professional way, the way you do.

FFS I am trying to help you here.

Here is what you wrote, now try putting that into comprehendable
English, so that anyone can understand it.

"You are the one that keeps posting the insults.
I just ignore you until you do."

So you ignore another poster because he posts insults, until the poster
does it again. Doesn't make sense in English.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...

I must admit I was quite surprised by the reported delays and
failures to respond promptly to an emergency - though I suppose I
really should not be that surprised. I often carry out fire alarm
tests on large buildings and sometimes the tests do at times go
wrong and the alarm rings for longer than intended. I have yet to
see anyone actually respond to the alarm going off or even question
why it might be ringing.

I go out even if its a planned test.
I like breaking the glass tubes on the way out.

Deliberate vandalism? Putting others safety at risk? Tsk Dennis.

I would like to see you explain how it is putting others at risk?

I didn't understand this myself at first, then I remembered that fire
doors can be fitted with glass tubes that have to be smashed to enable
them to be opened.

After this sort of exercise, or proper fire evacuation, the fire
marshals, or fire service have to check the whole building to ensure
that everything is back to normal

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

You are the one that keeps posting the insults.
I just ignore you until you do.

Until he does what?

Careful here Dennis, you are not making yourself understood again.

Dave

Are you trying to be an idiot?

No. Sometimes I do it in a professional way, the way you do.

FFS I am trying to help you here.

Here is what you wrote, now try putting that into comprehendable English,
so that anyone can understand it.

"You are the one that keeps posting the insults.
I just ignore you until you do."

So you ignore another poster because he posts insults, until the poster
does it again. Doesn't make sense in English.

It makes perfect sense.
Nowhere does it say I ignore them because they post insults, that is
something you have added without reason.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
news

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

You are getting as confused as TMH.
The discussion is about fire alarm tests, not fire drills.
It would be normal to evacuated in a drill but not in a test.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

I go out even if its a planned test.

Of course you would - blind adherence to the rules

Staying put would be adherence not going out!

Errm. So if the rules say 'go out' and you stay put, you are
adhering to to the rule that says 'go out', by staying put?

You need a fag as you aren't thinking very well.

So, perhaps you could explain the logic? Everyone else out of step again?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

You are the one that keeps posting the insults.
I just ignore you until you do.

Until he does what?

Careful here Dennis, you are not making yourself understood again.

Dave

Are you trying to be an idiot?

No. Sometimes I do it in a professional way, the way you do.

FFS I am trying to help you here.

Here is what you wrote, now try putting that into comprehendable
English, so that anyone can understand it.

"You are the one that keeps posting the insults.
I just ignore you until you do."

So you ignore another poster because he posts insults, until the
poster does it again. Doesn't make sense in English.

It makes perfect sense.
Nowhere does it say I ignore them because they post insults, that is
something you have added without reason.

I now have to think that English is not your first language.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
dennis@home wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message k...

[...]

Exactly. So Dennipoo's deliberate vandalism breaks all the rules, unless
its adhering to the opposite of a rule, which is the same as...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

I think you might find that you would not have had any comment about
your post if you had punctuated it correctly. Your sentence above
lacks a comma after the word English. Your other post suffered the
same problem.

There isn't any other interpretation so the comma would be a waste of
energy.

And how much energy does it take to insert a comma?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

You are the one that keeps posting the insults.
I just ignore you until you do.

Until he does what?

Careful here Dennis, you are not making yourself understood again.

Dave

Are you trying to be an idiot?

Dennis, are you just naturally ****ing stupid or did you go on a training
course?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

DIY disaster avoidance dennis@home UK diy 18 March 14th 09 09:08 PM
Oven Cleaning (avoidance) John UK diy 29 March 8th 09 10:52 PM
Disaster wwps06d Woodworking 16 May 15th 08 04:45 PM
Mac Disaster The Medway Handyman UK diy 315 July 4th 07 09:27 PM
City property tax avoidance Phisherman Home Repair 15 July 26th 06 10:11 PM