Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY disaster avoidance

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Trawling through the recent Horizon programme which seemed to be
inordinately long, i did see one that that interested us. There was one
safety chap who took his own smoke/breathing mask with him to hotels and
such like.

Is it worth getting one of them, depending on whether i can find out where
they actually sell the things as i can't find anything that looks remotely
like it, nor are they forthcoming about prices.

I thought it might be useful if I ever want to take up any DIY that might
just cause a bit of smoke sometime

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/Fire-Evac...FYM_3godwk40pw

If you are unlucky enough to get caught in a smoke filled building they
could save your life.
OTH dying in your sleep rather than being burned to death might be
preferable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/Fire-Evac...16?referrer=go...

If you are unlucky enough to get caught in a smoke filled building they
could save your life.
OTH dying in your sleep rather than being burned to death might be
preferable.

I recommend taking an abseiling rope and gear when you stay in a
hotel, as well as the smoke mask.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

I recommend taking an abseiling rope and gear when you stay in a
hotel, as well as the smoke mask.

And a base jumping outfit if the ropes too short?
Maybe high rise buildings should have curves at the bottom so you can just
drop out the windows and slide to a safe stop?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote

I recommend taking an abseiling rope and gear when you stay in a
hotel, as well as the smoke mask.

And a base jumping outfit if the ropes too short?
Maybe high rise buildings should have curves at the bottom so you can just
drop out the windows and slide to a safe stop?

I'm liking this line of thought, but think the J slope at the base of each
building might need too much room.
How about an empty lift-shaft type thing with a big fan at the bottom (and
safety net above). So you just jump into space and wait for the upflowing
air support to kick in - fan on separate genny of course.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How about an empty lift-shaft type thing with a big fan at the bottom
(and safety net above). So you just jump into space and wait for the
upflowing air support to kick in - fan on separate genny of course.

I suspect that might only work in very unpopular or very, very exclusive
hotels. Elsewhere if you were one of the first into the shaft you could
well be crushed by the weight of later entrants falling on you; and if
you were one of the later entrants you would fall - albeit onto a
relatively soft pile of flesh.

Would it also need some clever customers - so, for example, children and
thin adults would know to keep their arms and legs in else they would be
blown upwards, having a lower weight/cross-section ratio? Naturally I
take it as axiomatic that the system would be optimized for FOBs

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Matty F writes
On Mar 13, 10:10 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
[...]

Not forgetting a parachute when you fly to alicante next year

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 14, 3:04 am, "TheScullster" wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote

I recommend taking an abseiling rope and gear when you stay in a
hotel, as well as the smoke mask.

And a base jumping outfit if the ropes too short?
Maybe high rise buildings should have curves at the bottom so you can just
drop out the windows and slide to a safe stop?

I'm liking this line of thought, but think the J slope at the base of each
building might need too much room.
How about an empty lift-shaft type thing with a big fan at the bottom (and
safety net above). So you just jump into space and wait for the upflowing
air support to kick in - fan on separate genny of course.

How about vertical rails all around the outside of the building, each
with a box that slides down the rail. Braking done by rotating paddle.
Some way of getting the box up again would be nice. I'd rather not
have to have a cable that winds a spring as that could go wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Matty F writes
[...]

How about a brown paper bag you could put over your head

cheap; and statistically more or less just as useful

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

How about vertical rails all around the outside of the building, each
with a box that slides down the rail. Braking done by rotating paddle.
Some way of getting the box up again would be nice. I'd rather not
have to have a cable that winds a spring as that could go wrong.

Rope with arrestor devices actually exist - now, what was the name?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 14, 2:10 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

How about vertical rails all around the outside of the building, each
with a box that slides down the rail. Braking done by rotating paddle.
Some way of getting the box up again would be nice. I'd rather not
have to have a cable that winds a spring as that could go wrong.

Rope with arrestor devices actually exist - now, what was the name?

Yes I've seen one - funnily enough as a safety device while testing a
stupid magnetic device that would kill people with its G forces.
Actually a thin steel cable attached to a rotating paddle would be
simple and reliable, as long as the cable could be wound up neatly on
ascent. But if it didn't wind up neatly, go to another one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:30:41 -0000 Dennis@home wrote :
Maybe high rise buildings should have curves at the bottom so you
can just drop out the windows and slide to a safe stop?

I'm now in a 26th floor unit, so think I'd need a parachute! What I
do have are sprinklers in each room.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
, Matty
F writes
[...]

Also means the munter you picked up in the bar would already have one for
when you wake up next to it next morning if there wasn't a fire
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

How about vertical rails all around the outside of the building, each
with a box that slides down the rail. Braking done by rotating paddle.
Some way of getting the box up again would be nice. I'd rather not
have to have a cable that winds a spring as that could go wrong.

I'd rather the entire room (or a lifeboat room within the suite, say,
the bog) detached from the frame of the building and extended emergency
wings and tail assembly so it could glide to safety under control of a
dumb pilot called George. Of course, there are perils in such a design -
many will end up crashing into neighbouring buildings and the occupants
finding themselves in unexpected 'menages a many' with sleeping guests,
but hey, it all adds to the fun.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Tony Bryer
saying something like:

I'm now in a 26th floor unit, so think I'd need a parachute! What I
do have are sprinklers in each room.

It's not the sprinklers in *your* room that matter. Keep your fingers
crossed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:27:25 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
wrote:

Actually a thin steel cable attached to a rotating paddle would be
simple and reliable, as long as the cable could be wound up neatly on
ascent. But if it didn't wind up neatly, go to another one

It is -- called a descender, AFAIK, and the cable is wound up neatly. The spool
is tapered to give a smoother stop. Some have paddles to provide the braking, I
think... more he http://www.stuntrev.com//index.php?pg=equipment#9

The machine shown has a disc brake, though.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Matty F writes:
On Mar 14, 2:10 pm, "Clive George" wrote:

Rope with arrestor devices actually exist - now, what was the name?

Yes I've seen one - funnily enough as a safety device while testing a
stupid magnetic device that would kill people with its G forces.
Actually a thin steel cable attached to a rotating paddle would be
simple and reliable, as long as the cable could be wound up neatly on
ascent. But if it didn't wind up neatly, go to another one

We still had a few Davy Escapes in my school. You sat on a crude
seat strap, and it lowered you slowly out of a window to the ground.
A teacher decided to try one, and it lowered him to about 15'
above the ground and stopped. Fortunately he was next to a window
so someone opened it to let him in, but in a fire, he could be
dangling there until flames started coming out of it.
I think they got rid of all the Davy Escapes at that point.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tony Bryer
writes
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:30:41 -0000 Dennis@home wrote :
Maybe high rise buildings should have curves at the bottom so you
can just drop out the windows and slide to a safe stop?

I'm now in a 26th floor unit, so think I'd need a parachute! What I
do have are sprinklers in each room.

Would they actually put out a burning plane though?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 20:37:15 +0000 Janet Tweedy wrote :
I'm now in a 26th floor unit, so think I'd need a parachute!
What I do have are sprinklers in each room.

Would they actually put out a burning plane though?

If the fire starts in my unit, then yes I would expect them to
keep it in check while I get out. My flat is separated from the
others by massive concrete walls and serious fire doors, and
there's nothing much in the common corridor to burn. And there are
continuous balconies so a fire in the unit below isn't going to
leap out of the patio doors and through mine in a hurry.

So fire is not something I worry about.

Oven Cleaning (avoidance) John UK diy 29 March 8th 09 10:52 PM
DIY disaster ARWadsworth UK diy 29 September 14th 07 07:50 PM
Mac Disaster The Medway Handyman UK diy 315 July 4th 07 09:27 PM
diy disaster fido UK diy 2 April 22nd 07 06:35 PM
City property tax avoidance Phisherman Home Repair 15 July 26th 06 10:11 PM