Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY disaster

The next door neighbour (NDN) who I do not get on with has decided to DIY a
CCTV camera to watch me in my garden.
The guy has never done any DIY before and owns no power tools or ladders. I
expected spectacular results and was not disappointed.

Step 1
A fat bloke on a moped brought NDN a drill around.
Step 2
NDN spent 30 minutes trying to drill into the concrete windowsill outside
the bedroom window.
Step 3
NDN phones fat bloke to say "the ****ing drill is not making a hole". Fat
bloke tells him to turn hammer action on (at a guess as I am not phone
tapping)
Step 4
NDN tries again with the hammer on but he must have also caught the "on"
lock on the drill. After drilling the first hole (10 minutes so not an SDS)
the drill does not stop when he takes his finger off the trigger. NDN starts
shouting for his wife to turn the electricity off as the "****ing thing
won't stop" Wife takes too long to turn the electricity off so he throws the
drill out the bedroom window in a strop. The drill's power lead creates an
alteration to a normal ballistic trajectory and sends the drill crashing
through the lounge window below.
Step 5
The camera is bluetacked to the inside windowsill behind a vase so that I
cannot see it
Step 6
I go to the pub with his other NDN laughing out heads off.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

off so he throws the drill out the bedroom window in a strop. The
drill's power lead creates an alteration to a normal ballistic
trajectory and sends the drill crashing through the lounge window below.

Nice! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nog nog is offline

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:09:30 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

---------------8
Wife takes too long to turn the electricity off so he throws the
drill out the bedroom window in a strop. The drill's power lead creates an
alteration to a normal ballistic trajectory and sends the drill crashing
through the lounge window below.

----------------------8

Schadenfreude!
What is it that you do in your garden that's so interesting?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nog" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:09:30 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

---------------8
Wife takes too long to turn the electricity off so he throws the
drill out the bedroom window in a strop. The drill's power lead creates
an
alteration to a normal ballistic trajectory and sends the drill crashing
through the lounge window below.

----------------------8

Schadenfreude!
What is it that you do in your garden that's so interesting?

Nothing in particular. Gardening, DIY and punch ups with the NDN is all that
happens in my garden and I have my own CCTV to record that.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

Adam,

Nice one. By the way welcome to the club, I have two cameras watching me,
one back and one front - it's a funny old world 'innit? :-)

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

off so he throws the drill out the bedroom window in a strop. The
drill's power lead creates an alteration to a normal ballistic
trajectory and sends the drill crashing through the lounge window
below.

Nice! ;-)

ROFLMAO - I don't suppose you caught it on *your* cctv did you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:

Nothing in particular. Gardening, DIY and punch ups with the NDN is all that
happens in my garden and I have my own CCTV to record that.

You didn't record the drill incident, by chance?

Not quite in the same league, but yesterday, I gave the kitchen
a good clean. Afterwards, started preparing a late lunch. Oh
dear, nearly out of mayonnaise. If I give the bottle a good
downward swing, what's left will collect together and might
just be enough. Bottle had just come out of fridge, and I
hadn't bargined on the condensation and the effect that would
have on my grip on it. Anyway, bottle smashed into the ceramic
floor tiles at high velocity and exploded, covering everything
in the kitchen up to about 6' high with mayonnaise and shattered
plastic (fortunately a plastic bottle, although it broke just
like a glass one). So much for having cleaned the kitchen...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:

Nothing in particular. Gardening, DIY and punch ups with the NDN is all
that
happens in my garden and I have my own CCTV to record that.

You didn't record the drill incident, by chance?

Afraid not. My solicitor told me not to record next doors garden or house on
my CCTV. I had to watch it all from the next door but one neighbours house
where I was installing a room stat. I still have the punch ups that occured
in my garden. If anyone can tell me how to get them from video tape to
computer I will post them.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Hm! that CCTV use is a very firm breach of the data protection act 1998.
Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

punch ups that occured in my garden. If anyone can tell me how to get
them from video tape to computer I will post them.

Have you got either :

A DVD recorder

A PC with video digitisation capability (ATI all in wonder card or
somthing similar)

A camcorder with analogue video in and firewire out (Canon models with
the "i" suffix are good for this)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

ARWadsworth wrote:

I go to the pub with his other NDN laughing out heads off.

and so do we!

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Would have paid big to see that drill go thru his window.
Reminds me of a friend of mine who was working under his sink with his
dremel.
It had the mini circular saw in the collet and while he was sprawled on the
floor with his
head under the sink he tried to put it on the floor but he didn't switch it
off. The dremel
thing then went on a circular run around his kitchen floor. It came back to
him a couple of seconds later
and hacked a slot in his toe.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:46:25 +0100, "Phil B"
mused:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

That was my first thought.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil B wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately not Phil - unless the camera is capable of being remotely
controlled!

Now, if it actually overlooks other peoples property, including
photographing them on a public road, then that can be classed as an invasion
of privacy - but unless you take out a private prosecution, there's little
chance the law will get involved.

In fact in reality, there is little that can be done when a private
individual installs CCTV - unless it can be proved that they are 'spying' on
you.

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 23:35:07 +0100, "Brian G"
mused:

Phil B wrote:
[...]

Well, as a person is the focus of attention then it is. If it was just
monitoring in general then it wouldn't be, but as it's pointed into
someone elses garden then it does come under the DPA.

Now, if it actually overlooks other peoples property, including
photographing them on a public road, then that can be classed as an invasion
of privacy - but unless you take out a private prosecution, there's little
chance the law will get involved.

In fact in reality, there is little that can be done when a private
individual installs CCTV - unless it can be proved that they are 'spying' on
you.

Brian G

--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:43:41 UTC, Lurch
wrote:

(snip)

Another interesting point is that you can always send him 10 quid and a
subject access request. Bet he'd have trouble responding properly.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil B" wrote in message
Hm! that CCTV use is a very firm breach of the data protection act 1998.
Phil

Which part? Domestic installations are excluded from the code of practice on
CCTV and even systems that are subject to the guidance do not, necessarily,
have to avoid overlooking properties that are not intended to be covered by
the CCTV, although there are quite a few extra provisos if they do. About
the only relevant item I can find on the Information Commissioner's web site
is that, if your CCTV overlooks your neighbour's garden, you ought (as a
recommendation only) to consult with the neighbour first.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 18:54:32 +0100, Brian G wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
The next door neighbour (NDN) who I do not get on with has decided to
DIY a CCTV camera to watch me in my garden.
The guy has never done any DIY before and owns no power tools or
ladders. I expected spectacular results and was not disappointed.

Nice one. By the way welcome to the club, I have two cameras watching me,
one back and one front - it's a funny old world 'innit? :-)

Brian G

Good story. It sounds like it's time to get a (small) IR spotlight
pointed back at his camera. Being IR, he won't be able to see its
light but it should saturate the camera.

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 23, 10:58 am, Owain wrote:
Peter Lynch wrote:
Good story. It sounds like it's time to get a (small) IR spotlight
pointed back at his camera. Being IR, he won't be able to see its
light but it should saturate the camera.

Or borrow some small children and have them play in the front garden,
then contact the police on child protection grounds.

That would probably kill him. Would you want that on your conscience?

You can never tell when an enemy might turn out to be a friend.
Imagine him becoming a good neighbour and having to report to the
police as a know sex offender for the rest of his life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 03:52:31 -0700, Weatherlawyer
mused:

On Jul 23, 10:58 am, Owain wrote:
Peter Lynch wrote:
Good story. It sounds like it's time to get a (small) IR spotlight
pointed back at his camera. Being IR, he won't be able to see its
light but it should saturate the camera.

Or borrow some small children and have them play in the front garden,
then contact the police on child protection grounds.

That would probably kill him. Would you want that on your conscience?

You can never tell when an enemy might turn out to be a friend.
Imagine him becoming a good neighbour and having to report to the
police as a know sex offender for the rest of his life.

Eh? He's a PITA, who cares what he might be like one day, there's
other normal people about who don't need training.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-23 11:52:31 +0100, Weatherlawyer said:

On Jul 23, 10:58 am, Owain wrote:
Peter Lynch wrote:
Good story. It sounds like it's time to get a (small) IR spotlight
pointed back at his camera. Being IR, he won't be able to see its
light but it should saturate the camera.

Or borrow some small children and have them play in the front garden,
then contact the police on child protection grounds.

That would probably kill him. Would you want that on your conscience?

You can never tell when an enemy might turn out to be a friend.
Imagine him becoming a good neighbour and having to report to the
police as a know sex offender for the rest of his life.

Seems like a very satisfactory outcome.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 22, 11:35 pm, "Brian G" wrote:
Phil B wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the laugh :-))

Mate had his van with several grands worth of karaoke equipment broken
into, parked in drive with wifes car backed against back doors, broke
into car rolled it forward and cleared contents of van very quietly.

Cops when they turned up were less interested in the fuzzy CCTV
footage and theft than the lack of the sign on his house warning of
CCTV in operation and giving contact details, because the camera`s
view took in some of the front road, he was almost charged under the
DPA.

This and and a laminator can provide quite a lot of protection from
similar circumstances and hours of entertainment.

http://www.online-sign.com/

Probably don`t want to put home phone number on sign of front of
house , so get a handy free geo number, or get the nosey to pay and
get an 0870 number.

http://www.voiptalk.org/products/really_voip.html

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

punch ups that occured in my garden. If anyone can tell me how to get
them from video tape to computer I will post them.

Have you got either :

A DVD recorder

On my to wish list but lower down the list than the vans clutch

A PC with video digitisation capability (ATI all in wonder card or
somthing similar)

Probably not too expensive, something to look into. I looked earlier and
there are buy it now items on ebay for £25

A camcorder with analogue video in and firewire out (Canon models with
the "i" suffix are good for this)

I have got a sony digicam coming next week I will see what it offers (£40
off my mate when he comes back off holiday)

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Peter Lynch wrote:
Good story. It sounds like it's time to get a (small) IR spotlight
pointed back at his camera. Being IR, he won't be able to see its
light but it should saturate the camera.

Or borrow some small children and have them play in the front garden, then
contact the police on child protection grounds.

Already got the council on to it. They are one of the last remaining council
tenants.

As for the child I was going to use the girlfiends and even bought a sandpit
for him. I cannot fill it with sand yet as is is still raining. It is his
birthday soon maybe a boucy castle and all his mates are needed.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:24:58 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
Peter Lynch wrote:
Good story. It sounds like it's time to get a (small) IR spotlight
pointed back at his camera. Being IR, he won't be able to see its
light but it should saturate the camera.

Or borrow some small children and have them play in the front garden, then
contact the police on child protection grounds.

Already got the council on to it. They are one of the last remaining council
tenants.

As for the child I was going to use the girlfiends and ......

an unfortunate piece of text :-) just how many girlfriends have
you got?

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .
.. in a room with a tea cosy ...... Marlow, England .
.. doesn't try it on (Billy Connolly) .....................................

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Peter Lynch wrote:
Good story. It sounds like it's time to get a (small) IR spotlight
pointed back at his camera. Being IR, he won't be able to see its
light but it should saturate the camera.

Or borrow some small children and have them play in the front garden, then
contact the police on child protection grounds.

Already got the council on to it. They are one of the last remaining council
tenants.

As for the child I was going to use the girlfiends and ......

an unfortunate piece of text :-) just how many girlfriends have
you got?

Even more unfortunate...he didn't say 'girlfriends'...!!!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Arthur2 wrote:
Reminds me of a friend of mine who was working under his sink with his
dremel.
It had the mini circular saw in the collet and while he was sprawled on the
floor with his
head under the sink he tried to put it on the floor but he didn't switch it
off. The dremel
thing then went on a circular run around his kitchen floor.

This would be shortly after they'd finished laying a nice, new
expensive floor of some hard-to-get material.

It came back to
him a couple of seconds later
and hacked a slot in his toe.

Ah ... a homing Dremel. How sweet. House-trained too?

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Do you have a paint ball gun?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 23, 10:58 am, Owain wrote:
Peter Lynch wrote:
Good story. It sounds like it's time to get a (small) IR spotlight
pointed back at his camera. Being IR, he won't be able to see its
light but it should saturate the camera.

Or borrow some small children and have them play in the front garden,
then contact the police on child protection grounds.

That would probably kill him. Would you want that on your conscience?

You can never tell when an enemy might turn out to be a friend.
Imagine him becoming a good neighbour and having to report to the
police as a know sex offender for the rest of his life.

Nah, he sounds like an arsehole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Phil B" wrote in message
Hm! that CCTV use is a very firm breach of the data protection act 1998.
Phil

Which part? Domestic installations are excluded from the code of practice on CCTV and even systems
that are subject to the guidance do not, necessarily, have to avoid overlooking properties that are
not intended to be covered by the CCTV, although there are quite a few extra provisos if they do.
About the only relevant item I can find on the Information Commissioner's web site is that, if your
CCTV overlooks your neighbour's garden, you ought (as a recommendation only) to consult with the
neighbour first.

Colin Bignell

Why not just tell your NDN if he is so interested in what you get up to he can mount his CCTV camera
on the fence if he likes, to avoid any more DIY disasters. Then you don't even need a paintball gun to
cover the lens.

Mac Disaster The Medway Handyman UK diy 315 July 4th 07 09:27 PM
diy disaster fido UK diy 2 April 22nd 07 06:35 PM
Anoline Dye Disaster Gary Woodworking 36 August 12th 05 09:21 AM
O/T: BBC "Disaster masters" s--p--o--n--i--x UK diy 18 July 29th 05 02:57 PM
Disaster Gunner Metalworking 69 October 22nd 03 01:18 PM