Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maplin IR Thermometer.

Quick heads up, Maplin have an infrared non contact thermometer on sale
for 19.99, reduced from 35. ISTR some people were wanting them for
balancing CH systems and other DIY stuff?
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp laid this down on his screen :
Quick heads up, Maplin have an infrared non contact thermometer on sale for
19.99, reduced from 35. ISTR some people were wanting them for balancing CH
systems and other DIY stuff?

If it is the orange and grey plastic cased unit, they have been that
price for a good six months. I bought one to replace a more substantial
(and expensive) one after I dropped it and the display shattered. The
new one is good and accurate, but the display is not so large. It
compared well against a £100 Fluke unit, as in correct to the last
digit.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Clint Sharp laid this down on his screen :
Quick heads up, Maplin have an infrared non contact thermometer on sale for
19.99, reduced from 35. ISTR some people were wanting them for balancing CH
systems and other DIY stuff?

If it is the orange and grey plastic cased unit, they have been that
price for a good six months. I bought one to replace a more substantial
(and expensive) one after I dropped it and the display shattered. The
new one is good and accurate, but the display is not so large. It
compared well against a £100 Fluke unit, as in correct to the last
digit.

SNAP. I droped mine as well and it just would not work afterward.
Now while it was a great toy and I guess I will pick up another one
I was always confused by the way it utterly failed to properly report
the temperature when upto bare copper pipe.

It seemed good when pointed at most other things, it was just copper
it failed on!!

Any ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fergus McMenemie submitted this idea :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

I have the same problem. I have not tried it, but what about wrapping
some black tape around the pipe?

Odd how they work on some surfaces, but not others. They seem to half
work on a stream of water, or even better water run over a stainless
surface. I would not be without mine, certainly beats climbing to check
a/c output and pipe temperatures.

It wasn't the orange one I broke BTW, but it more expensive
predecessor.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fergus McMenemie wrote:

Now while it was a great toy and I guess I will pick up another one
I was always confused by the way it utterly failed to properly report
the temperature when upto bare copper pipe.

The reading you get does depend on the reflectivity of the surface.

For consistency, I've fixed little squares of black tape near the inlet and
outlet of each radiator, and on every pipe whose temperature I want to
measure.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:
Quick heads up, Maplin have an infrared non contact thermometer on sale
for 19.99, reduced from 35. ISTR some people were wanting them for
balancing CH systems and other DIY stuff?

Anyway of modding this as a poor man's thermal imager? Say, some control
mechanism to make the unit step over specified small incremental
distances, and then do a lovely false colour plot from data read?

(Nope, not the radio controlled helicopter again...)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian C writes:
Clint Sharp wrote:
Quick heads up, Maplin have an infrared non contact thermometer on sale
for 19.99, reduced from 35. ISTR some people were wanting them for
balancing CH systems and other DIY stuff?

Anyway of modding this as a poor man's thermal imager? Say, some control
mechanism to make the unit step over specified small incremental
distances, and then do a lovely false colour plot from data read?

(Nope, not the radio controlled helicopter again...)

Probably much easier to take a cheap B/W security camera, most of which
operate down into the infrared anyway and often even have a filter to
prevent them seeing in the infrared. Take out any such filter, and
replace it with a filter to block the visible light.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fergus McMenemie" wrote in message
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

It needs a surface with a high emissivity apparently after speaking to
someone from Fluke. The surface doesn't have to be black, but needs to have
a matt or slightly rough finish. These thermometers give false readings on
other surfaces. It was suggested to me that painting a surface with tippex
would be good enough to get an accurate reading.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Benn" %%%@%.%% wrote:

It needs a surface with a high emissivity apparently after speaking to
someone from Fluke. The surface doesn't have to be black, but needs to have
a matt or slightly rough finish.

Will human skin do?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bruce writes:
"Mr Benn" %%%@%.%% wrote:

It needs a surface with a high emissivity apparently after speaking to
someone from Fluke. The surface doesn't have to be black, but needs to have
a matt or slightly rough finish.

Will human skin do?

Yes. Almost anything except polished metal surfaces will do.
Avoid pointing the laser in someone's eye though!
(Suggest turning the laser off if you can - it's not very useful.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Mar, 23:25, Adrian C wrote:

Anyway of modding this as a poor man's thermal imager?

Why not just buy one?

http://www.abex.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel submitted this idea :
Yes. Almost anything except polished metal surfaces will do.
Avoid pointing the laser in someone's eye though!
(Suggest turning the laser off if you can - it's not very useful.)

I find the laser spot very useful - with it you can 'hit' a spot from
way across a room or an high ceiling to get the temperature of a
distant object. They make them very much easier to aim.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
Andrew Gabriel submitted this idea :
Yes. Almost anything except polished metal surfaces will do.
Avoid pointing the laser in someone's eye though!
(Suggest turning the laser off if you can - it's not very useful.)

I find the laser spot very useful - with it you can 'hit' a spot from
way across a room or an high ceiling to get the temperature of a
distant object. They make them very much easier to aim.

It's misleading - it doesn't measure the temperature of the spot.
It sees a cone, most of them with a 1:8 ratio, so it measures a
circle of diameter about 1/8th of the distance between the gun
and the target. I don't know what their behaviour is when there
are many different temperatures visible withing the viewing cone.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Mar, 18:07, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

I don't know what their behaviour is when there
are many different temperatures visible withing the viewing cone.

Generally they over-read the mean temperature, owing to the Stefan-
Boltzmann law. Especially so when there's a small hotspot in a largely
cooler field, it gets a disproportionate weighting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel submitted this idea :
It's misleading - it doesn't measure the temperature of the spot.
It sees a cone, most of them with a 1:8 ratio, so it measures a
circle of diameter about 1/8th of the distance between the gun
and the target. I don't know what their behaviour is when there
are many different temperatures visible withing the viewing cone.

My own use of one leads me to a conclusion that they indicate a biased
average, of the temperature of the cone. Biased some way towards the
temperature of the hotter object they see.

It is fairly easy to check the accuracy of the spot, by pointing the
unit at a warm radiator and seeing how far off the radiator you have to
aim to get a background temperature.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Copper sheet is used as thermal wrap for telecommunications and
other space satelites because it's so good at shielding against
both absorbing and emitting infrared.

I thought they used gold! Beats out thinner (= lighter) and the cost of
the material is nothing to the cost of getting it up there...

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06 Mar 2009 08:29:01 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Probably much easier to take a cheap B/W security camera, most of which
operate down into the infrared anyway and often even have a filter to
prevent them seeing in the infrared. Take out any such filter, and
replace it with a filter to block the visible light.

That'll be near infrared though won't it? The thermal image cameras the
the fire service use to locate hot spots or people in smoke filled
buildings or the police use for spotting hot tyres/engines or hiding
people at night use far infrared.

I have a cheap B&W camera that suffers CCD overload if you point a IR
remote at it and can almost see by the light from a few IR LEDs. It shows
the glowing embers of a fire quite well that my eyes can't see. But these
are all quite bright sources it's no good for pointing out the window at
night to spot prowlers. Or pointing at the house to see where the heat is
being lost.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Mar, 21:00, Andy Champ wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Copper sheet is used as thermal wrap for telecommunications and
other space satelites because it's so good at shielding against
both absorbing and emitting infrared.

I thought they used gold!

Metal foil wraps are used to _heat_ equipment, as it has a high
absorptance / emittance ratio where it absorbs solar radiation in the
visible but has low emittance in the infra red (spacecraft are colder
than the Sun, thus emit at longer wavelengths). Titanium is used, as
it makes a useful foil material, but both gold and copper are used too
as outer foils. White paint is used in the opposite sense, for
cooling, as it has a low absorptance / emittance ratio (emits more IR
than solar gain). This is the coating that has the most trouble with
aging under the harsh UV and vacuum environment.

Plastic (Kapton, Mylar, Teflon) multi-layer foils with a vacuum-
sputtered metal (gold, aluminium, silver) coating on them are for
insulation and thermal stability, not for passive thermal control
through solar radiation.