Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default getting a refund out of Maplin

I thought people might be intersted in my experience with Maplin.

I bought a satellite kit from their website using Paypal, but when it
arrived it was a different type. I specifically wanted the one
described. I rang and explained and arranged for them to collect it
and refund my money. They collected it but no refund arrived. Each
time I rang they said it would be done "at the end of the week" or
"the engineers need to check the item is not damaged" or "we have to
issue a cheque and that takes time (no refund via Paypal)".

Eventually (at 44 days after the purchase) I filed a dispute with
Paypal. Maplin refunded via Paypal within the hour.

Maybe Paypal disputes get dealt with by a different department, but
whatever the reason it worked where regular phone calls and emails
failed to get anywhere for 6 weeks.

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 17, 8:03*am, RobertL wrote:
I thought people might be intersted in my experience with Maplin.

I bought a satellite kit from their website using Paypal, but when it
arrived it was a different type. * I specifically wanted the one
described. * I rang and explained and arranged for them to collect it
and refund my money. *They collected it but no refund arrived. *Each
time I rang they said it would be done "at the end of the week" or
"the engineers need to check the item is not damaged" or "we have to
issue a cheque and that takes time (no refund via Paypal)".

Obviously their prices are too high if they can afford to pay the
PayPal commission on goods that are returned.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote:

On Apr 17, 8:03*am, RobertL wrote:
I thought people might be intersted in my experience with Maplin.

I bought a satellite kit from their website using Paypal, but when it
arrived it was a different type. * I specifically wanted the one
described. * I rang and explained and arranged for them to collect it
and refund my money. *They collected it but no refund arrived. *Each
time I rang they said it would be done "at the end of the week" or
"the engineers need to check the item is not damaged" or "we have to
issue a cheque and that takes time (no refund via Paypal)".

Obviously their prices are too high if they can afford to pay the
PayPal commission on goods that are returned.

When you make a refund via PayPal, the commission you originally paid
is refunded to you. That applies whether it is a partial or complete
refund. You get the commission returned on the amount you refunded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 17, 11:26*am, Tony Polson wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote:

[...]

Try reading what was actually written! If you make a refund by cheque
you will not receive a refund of PayPal commission.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote:

[...]

MBQ- Hide quoted text -

In fact, they did refund by paypal, even though they said that they
could not do that.

To confuse things further, I've just got an email saying that "the
cheque is in the post"!.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote:

[...]

Yes, I understood that but was commenting on their initial stance.

To confuse things further, I've just got an email saying that "the
cheque is in the post"!.

I trust you'll donate it to a good cause - like the local pub ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote:

On Apr 17, 1:08=A0pm, RobertL wrote:
On Apr 17, 12:58=A0pm, "Man at B&Q" wrote:

On Apr 17, 11:26=A0am, Tony Polson wrote:

"Man at B&Q" wrote:

On Apr 17, 8:03=A0am, RobertL wrote:
I thought people might be intersted in my experience with Maplin.

I bought a satellite kit from their website using Paypal, but when =

it
arrived it was a different type. =A0 I specifically wanted the one
described. =A0 I rang and explained and arranged for them to collec=

t it
and refund my money. =A0They collected it but no refund arrived. =

=A0Each
time I rang they said it would be done "at the end of the week" or
"the engineers need to check the item is not damaged" or "we have t=

issue a cheque and that takes time (no refund via Paypal)".

Obviously their prices are too high if they can afford to pay the
PayPal commission on goods that are returned.

When you make a refund via PayPal, the commission you originally paid
is refunded to you. =A0That applies whether it is a partial or complet=

refund. =A0You get the commission returned on the amount you refunded.=

Try reading what was actually written! If you make a refund by cheque
you will not receive a refund of PayPal commission.

MBQ- Hide quoted text -

In fact, they did refund by paypal, even though they said that they
could not do that.

Yes, I understood that but was commenting on their initial stance.

Try reading what was actually written!

;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote:

[...]

What was actually written was that Maplin initially said that they
wanted to refund only by cheque, not Paypal. MBQ's point was that this
was a silly stance, because it would cost them more than a refund
through PayPal. That's all.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote:

What was actually written was that Maplin initially said that they
wanted to refund only by cheque, not Paypal. MBQ's point was that this
was a silly stance, because it would cost them more than a refund
through PayPal. That's all.

You must have nothing to do, and all day in which to do it. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:57:52 UTC, Tony Polson
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote:

What was actually written was that Maplin initially said that they
wanted to refund only by cheque, not Paypal. MBQ's point was that this
was a silly stance, because it would cost them more than a refund
through PayPal. That's all.

You must have nothing to do, and all day in which to do it. ;-)

Absolutely correct, today!

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Apr, 13:08, RobertL wrote:

To confuse things further, I've just got an email saying that "the
cheque is in the post"!.

That statement is usually as true as "I won't cum in your mouth".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 18, 12:01*pm, wrote:
On 17 Apr, 13:08, RobertL wrote:

To confuse things further, I've just got an email saying that "the
cheque is in the post"!.

That statement is usually as true as "I won't cum in your mouth".

Since the cheque would be a second repayment, made in error, i suppose
I have should spit it back to Maplin

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 18 Apr, 16:28, RobertL wrote:
On Apr 18, 12:01 pm, wrote:

On 17 Apr, 13:08, RobertL wrote:

To confuse things further, I've just got an email saying that "the
cheque is in the post"!.

That statement is usually as true as "I won't cum in your mouth".

Since the cheque would be a second repayment, made in error, i suppose
I have should spit it back to Maplin

Robert

what?!?!?!?
Surely that's recompense for 6 weeks (interest @ many % over base),
countless phone calls, emails, time, and stress - get it banked man!!
(& hope Maplins haven't stopped it yet and your bank don;t charge
*you* for trying it (like ours))

Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-18 20:02:10 +0100, jim said:

On 18 Apr, 16:28, RobertL wrote:
On Apr 18, 12:01 pm, wrote:

On 17 Apr, 13:08, RobertL wrote:

To confuse things further, I've just got an email saying that "the
cheque is in the post"!.

That statement is usually as true as "I won't cum in your mouth".

Since the cheque would be a second repayment, made in error, i suppose
I have should spit it back to Maplin

Robert

what?!?!?!?
Surely that's recompense for 6 weeks (interest @ many % over base),
countless phone calls, emails, time, and stress - get it banked man!!
(& hope Maplins haven't stopped it yet and your bank don;t charge
*you* for trying it (like ours))

Jim

He shouldn;'t have to swallow this at all.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:

I thought people might be intersted in my experience with Maplin.

I bought a satellite kit from their website using Paypal, but when it
arrived it was a different type. I specifically wanted the one
described. I rang and explained and arranged for them to collect it
and refund my money. They collected it but no refund arrived. Each
time I rang they said it would be done "at the end of the week" or
"the engineers need to check the item is not damaged" or "we have to
issue a cheque and that takes time (no refund via Paypal)".

Eventually (at 44 days after the purchase) I filed a dispute with
Paypal. Maplin refunded via Paypal within the hour.

Maybe Paypal disputes get dealt with by a different department, but
whatever the reason it worked where regular phone calls and emails
failed to get anywhere for 6 weeks.

Robert

Interesting! How do you go about raising a Paypal dispute? Last time I
looked at their site, the only reference I could find to Buyer Protection
etc. related exclusively to purchases made on Ebay.

I may well have a dispute with a non-Ebay supplier whom I paid via Paypal,
and would welcome any advice about where to start.
--
Cheers,
Roger

kitchen order - can u get a refund? benpost UK diy 15 January 30th 08 11:14 PM
I want a refund [email protected] Home Repair 6 September 15th 07 07:32 PM
Getting a refund on used tools? Mo UK diy 19 May 9th 07 05:47 PM
Maplin Doctor Drivel UK diy 2 October 24th 05 09:35 PM
Should I get a refund on these chisels? AAvK Woodworking 25 March 13th 05 02:36 PM