Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to improve a problem ceiling

Hi.

My kitchen ceiling is a mess. It has uneven plasterboards - i.e. not level,
so there are ridges of 2-3mm at the joints. It is painted over with a thin
coat of some sort of textured paint. There are some 'cosmetic' wooden beams
(which the wife likes) bolted over it. The consumer unit is in one corner,
flush up to ceiling level.

I'd like to improve this. The ideal solution would be for a plasterer to
skim it, but with the kitchen units, worktops and sink, access to the
ceiling would be extremely difficult. I don't mind if it's not perferect -
not having the ridges or textured paint are my main aims.

Any ideas on how I could improve it? Cheers.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote:

Hi.

My kitchen ceiling is a mess. It has uneven plasterboards - i.e. not level,
so there are ridges of 2-3mm at the joints. It is painted over with a thin
coat of some sort of textured paint. There are some 'cosmetic' wooden beams
(which the wife likes) bolted over it. The consumer unit is in one corner,
flush up to ceiling level.

I'd like to improve this. The ideal solution would be for a plasterer to
skim it, but with the kitchen units, worktops and sink, access to the
ceiling would be extremely difficult. I don't mind if it's not perferect -
not having the ridges or textured paint are my main aims.

Any ideas on how I could improve it? Cheers.

Don't underestimate the abilities of a plasterer. Why not ask one for a
quote?

A relative of mine had a kitchen ceiling which sounded a bit like yours
- it had been Artexed in the 80s and looked atrocious. The plasterer
used a product that is specially made to restore a smooth appearance
over a textured surface - I think it was itself an Artex product!

Anyway, the finished job looks great and the plasterer managed to work
around what was already there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Mar, 11:49, Bruce wrote:

A relative of mine had a kitchen ceiling which sounded a bit like yours
- it had been Artexed in the 80s and looked atrocious. *The plasterer
used a product that is specially made to restore a smooth appearance
over a textured surface - I think it was itself an Artex product!

I see a conspiracy theory here. Artex spend the 70s and 80s ruining
the nation's ceilings with grotesque textured "bark-effect" patterns
(not to mention the stippled and swirly ones). Once the world comes to
its senses and discovers the good taste to be embarrassed they reveal
that they, and only they, have the magical cure ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 14:18:39 +0000, Bruce wrote:

wrote:

On 2 Mar, 11:49, Bruce wrote:

A relative of mine had a kitchen ceiling which sounded a bit like yours
- it had been Artexed in the 80s and looked atrocious. *The plasterer
used a product that is specially made to restore a smooth appearance
over a textured surface - I think it was itself an Artex product!

I see a conspiracy theory here. Artex spend the 70s and 80s ruining
the nation's ceilings with grotesque textured "bark-effect" patterns
(not to mention the stippled and swirly ones). Once the world comes to
its senses and discovers the good taste to be embarrassed they reveal
that they, and only they, have the magical cure ...

One day, the pendulum may swing the other way, and the unmistakable
swirls of Artex will be seen again. I hope not, though!

;-)

I have artexed swirly ceilings. In when we bought the place. Doesn't
bother me in the least. I don't spend my time on my back staring at
the ceiling.

I don't mind polystyrene ceiling tiles either

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alang" wrote :

I have artexed swirly ceilings. In when we bought the place. Doesn't
bother me in the least. I don't spend my time on my back staring at
the ceiling.

Of course you don't, your not a woman,

runs to hide in a hole
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:18:15 -0000, "gazz" wrote:

"Alang" wrote :

I have artexed swirly ceilings. In when we bought the place. Doesn't
bother me in the least. I don't spend my time on my back staring at
the ceiling.

Of course you don't, your not a woman,

Or a drunk

runs to hide in a hole

Leave the poor girl alone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Mar, 15:00, Alang wrote:

I have artexed swirly ceilings. In when we bought the place. Doesn't
bother me in the least. I don't spend my time on my back staring at
the ceiling.

I don't mind polystyrene ceiling tiles either.

Ah well, be grateful for it. I have an ongoing internal conflict
between being a dreadful snob about matters of aethetics, and being
incurably mean. When it comes to ceilings the snooty side always seems
to win.

Cheers!

Martin

bathroom ceiling problem yo[_3_] Home Repair 12 September 22nd 07 01:50 AM
New Ceiling Problem Nodge UK diy 4 November 1st 06 04:31 PM
Problem with a Ceiling Fan Subba Rao Home Ownership 3 August 23rd 06 04:47 AM
Plastering a problem ceiling Peter Ashby UK diy 10 January 10th 05 09:39 AM
Bathroom Ceiling Problem BIGEYE UK diy 3 March 18th 04 01:26 PM