Peter Ashby

Default Plastering a problem ceiling

I have a ceiling to plaster, only a small bathroom but it needs to cover
a multitude of sins. It started when we decided to do something about
the horrible, smelly ceiling tiles. On pulling them down I discovered
that the pratt who had installed them had used large dollops of epoxy,
one at each corner and one in the middle, about 4cm across and 5mm
thick. I have spent several weekends with shavehook, sander and filling
knife getting it to the point where nothing protrudes more than a
millimetre. On one side is a small patch of contact cement which I have
scraped flat and is no longer sticky.

So, any suggestions as to which product I would best employ to cover
this lot? I have installed a ceiling with gyproc boards, taped the
edges, smoothed them with plaster and sanded flat and got a very good
result, so I am keen to have a go. However this was 12years ago and in
NZ. I would rather not remove the ceiling if I don't have to.

Peter

stoker

Polycell now do a product called Coverall (IIRC). You spread it over
the defects and rub down afterwards if necessary. I've had some success
with a wall and a ceiling.

HTH

David

--
Add my middle initial to email me. It has become attached to a

country

Bob Mannix

"Peter Ashby" wrote in message
uk...
[...]

You have probably provided your own answer. Don't take the old ceiling down,
use extra long nails and put plasterboard over the existing. You only need
9mm board (3/8" in old money) for a ceiling, so if you skim it you will only
lose about 12mm in total. If you tape/fill/sand, only 10mm (including your
protrusions!).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Christian McArdle

So, any suggestions as to which product I would best employ to cover
this lot? I have installed a ceiling with gyproc boards, taped the
edges, smoothed them with plaster and sanded flat and got a very good
result, so I am keen to have a go.

How about installing a ceiling with gyproc boards, taping the edges and
smooting with plaster?

However this was 12years ago and in NZ. I would rather not remove
the ceiling if I don't have to.

You don't have to. Drywall screws come in versions long enough to go through
the existing ceiling into the joists. You do need to locate the joists,
however. In a top storey, this can be done by drilling down from the loft
space and drilling 25cm to the side. If a loft is not available, drill a few
holes from below and poke around with some bent wire to find the joists.

Christian.

Mike

"Peter Ashby" wrote in message
uk...
I have a ceiling to plaster, only a small bathroom but it needs to cover
a multitude of sins. It started when we decided to do something about
the horrible, smelly ceiling tiles. On pulling them down I discovered
that the pratt who had installed them had used large dollops of epoxy,
one at each corner and one in the middle, about 4cm across and 5mm
thick. I have spent several weekends with shavehook, sander and filling
knife getting it to the point where nothing protrudes more than a
millimetre. On one side is a small patch of contact cement which I have
scraped flat and is no longer sticky.

So, any suggestions as to which product I would best employ to cover
this lot?

A couple of bags of Gyproc Easyfill (£10 bag at B&Q) and a large plasterer's
trowel (£15). Then a cheap B&Q sander to flatten off any bumps whereupon it
will have died so you can take it back for refund.

Oh and a good mask.

The Natural Philosopher

Peter Ashby wrote:

[...]

I'd employ a professional plasterer.

Peter

Mike

Peter Ashby wrote:

[...]

Well that's you blacklisted here then :-)

Raises an interesting question - what jobs do people here always get the
experts in ?

Mine is wall-tiling though after today carpet-fitting may be added as my
back is killing me from all the carpet stretching. And I thought it would
be an easy job.

Peter Ashby

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Peter Ashby wrote:

[...]

Well firstly this is uk.diy and secondly I can always call in a pro if I
make a hash of it :-) This has also occurred to swmbo when she agreed to
me having a go at it.

Besides, I may find out I have an ability at plastering which can be put
to good use elsewhere.

Thanks to everyone for the responses btw, I fancy the new plasterboard
over the top idea not least because the wall tiles were laid after the
ceiling tiles so there is a larger than helpfull but smaller than useful
gap between the tiles and the revealed ceiling. Putting plasterboard
over it would solve that problem at a stroke.

Peter

Mike

"Peter Ashby" wrote in message
uk...

I'd employ a professional plasterer.

Well firstly this is uk.diy and secondly I can always call in a pro if I
make a hash of it :-) This has also occurred to swmbo when she agreed to
me having a go at it.

Besides, I may find out I have an ability at plastering which can be put
to good use elsewhere.

I found that the other half had an ability at plastering. So now she's
lumbered with doing it:-)

Christian McArdle

Raises an interesting question - what jobs do people here always get the
experts in ?

Defintely plastering. Anything to do with gas, and I probably won't do any
serious structural work that would require more than simple propping.

I definitely do wall (and floor) tiling. Quite enjoyable jobs, really.

Christian.