Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bathroom ceiling problem

Hi, hope someone can help me with this as I have tried to fix this
issue several times.

My tenants bathroom ceiling keeps collapsing next to the shower head.
I fixed this several times and even have a fan/vent installed. They
take 20 showers a day for 20 min each time. I know the steam from the
shower head is probably decaying the ceiling. I'm pretty sure its not
a lead from the upstairs. It looks like it starts to flake from the
outside where the ceiling is exposed to the hot steam.

Aside from telling my tenants not to shower, which I cant do, what can
I do to fix the problem for good.

Please not I used regular BEHR ceiling paint and I was wondering if
there is a special paint for the bathroom that will not let moisture
in to the sheetrock. FYI it looks like did just used regular cheap
sheet rock when they built the house.

Is there a paint I can buy to stop this? Can I install some kind of
plastic shield on the ceiling ? any suggestions ?

TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

yo wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Sure there is no water leak behind the wall?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Assuming that you have no leaks, I would be tempted to replace the
ceiling above the shower with cement backer board (Durarock) and
tiling the ceiling and walls surrounding the shower. Or have a
cultured marble surround made. For the ceiling's and walls outside the
shower use a paint that is mildew resistant. Put in an over-sized vent
fan that vents to the outside. Wire it such that it turns on whenever
the light is on so the tenants have no choice but to use it. You will
probably need to cut the door such that you have a gap on the bottom
that will allow makeup air to enter for the fan. Otherwise a fan will
be useless. Otherwise, they might not use so they can create a steam
bath.

On Sep 20, 11:15 am, Tony Hwang wrote:
yo wrote:
[...]

Sure there is no water leak behind the wall?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

yo wrote:
[...]

Next time it happens, leave the sheetrock out and try to see where the
water is coming from. It could be condensation from your fan duct
dripping on the sheetrock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 9:32 am, yo wrote:
[...]

20 showers x20 min about 7 hrs a day, bs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:32:05 -0400, yo wrote:

[...]

Steamy water and condensate from showers is hard on any surface. It's a
project of several hours, but you may consider removing entire section of
ceiling above shower/tub and replacing with greenboard, a product designed
for water issues. Then go to a reputable paint store and ask for paint
which will deal with high humidity. I would suspect you are looking at a
quality primer in addition to a gloss enamel.

Regular drywall, primer and latex paint is a formula for failure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/20/2007 11:48 AM ransley said the following:
On Sep 20, 9:32 am, yo wrote:

[...]

They could be compulsive-obsessive. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 9:32 am, yo wrote:
[...]

I like the idea of using cement backerboard for the ceiling, but if
you don't want to go with tile, you could glue FRP (fiberglass
reinforced plastic) to it. It looks a little "industrial", but it is
very water resistant. Home Depot carries it, at least where I am, for
around $22 / sf.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 20, 9:32 am, yo wrote:
Hi, hope someone can help me with this as I have tried to fix this
issue several times.

My tenants bathroom ceiling keeps collapsing next to the shower head.
I fixed this several times and even have a fan/vent installed. They
take 20 showers a day for 20 min each time.

snip

Aside from telling my tenants not to shower, which I cant do, what can
I do to fix the problem for good.

snip

Some very good suggestions have been posted, so let me add one mo
consider some behavior modification. No landlord should have to put up
with tenants that wallow in hedonistic showering. They need a reality
shock, so put them on the smallest water heater you can find, set it
to an energy saving 130 dgrees and when the whining about running out
of hot water happens, piously explain that you are doing your bit for
global warming, blah, blah, blah. Mention the mold that might form if
such sweltering conditions continued, and how concerned you are for
their health and welfare. It's a win-win situation, isn't it? Good
luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

20 showers a day? You're kidding right?

Well...how many people live in the apartment?

40 "illegals" ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I suspect paint is not the issue and that there is a slow leak behind
the sheetrock. Open a small hole and use a lighted flexible
inspection instrument. Use a cement board around a tub/shower
enclosure. When that is repaired any cheap paint should hold up for
thousands of steamy showers. There is a paint formulated for
bath/kitchen (I have used Sears Bath/kitchen paint and it still looks
great after 15 years.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 9:32 am, yo wrote:

[...]

Or shower too crowded. ;-)

--
Ted
I wasn't born in Texas but

Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.

Drywalling bathroom ceiling cas Home Repair 4 October 8th 06 11:22 PM
Bathroom ceiling Paul Andrews UK diy 15 November 22nd 05 06:33 PM
Water on my bathroom ceiling... Me Home Repair 11 October 13th 05 12:23 PM
bathroom ceiling Jim Walsh UK diy 4 April 28th 04 05:48 PM
Bathroom Ceiling Problem BIGEYE UK diy 3 March 18th 04 01:26 PM