Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default bathroom ceiling problem

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:32:05 -0400, yo wrote:

Hi, hope someone can help me with this as I have tried to fix this
issue several times.

My tenants bathroom ceiling keeps collapsing next to the shower head.
I fixed this several times and even have a fan/vent installed. They
take 20 showers a day for 20 min each time. I know the steam from the
shower head is probably decaying the ceiling. I'm pretty sure its not
a lead from the upstairs. It looks like it starts to flake from the
outside where the ceiling is exposed to the hot steam.

Aside from telling my tenants not to shower, which I cant do, what can
I do to fix the problem for good.

Please not I used regular BEHR ceiling paint and I was wondering if
there is a special paint for the bathroom that will not let moisture
in to the sheetrock. FYI it looks like did just used regular cheap
sheet rock when they built the house.

Is there a paint I can buy to stop this? Can I install some kind of
plastic shield on the ceiling ? any suggestions ?

TIA.

I suspect paint is not the issue and that there is a slow leak behind
the sheetrock. Open a small hole and use a lighted flexible
inspection instrument. Use a cement board around a tub/shower
enclosure. When that is repaired any cheap paint should hold up for
thousands of steamy showers. There is a paint formulated for
bath/kitchen (I have used Sears Bath/kitchen paint and it still looks
great after 15 years.)