Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soap scum/lime scale - resists all known treatments

I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen.
previously this has been dealt with by steam cleaning once it got too
much for proprietary shower sprays to deal with. Then a combination
of meths and/or lime-scale remover followed by steam cleaning seemed
to be necessary. Now I cannot remove the damn stuff at all.

Done vinegar too, btw. We spray after each shower with whatever that
shower-spray stuff is, which does prevent it getting worse; but
there's still this residual blemish that nothing seems to shift.

Any suggestions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

me here wrote:
I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen.
previously this has been dealt with by steam cleaning once it got too
much for proprietary shower sprays to deal with. Then a combination
of meths and/or lime-scale remover followed by steam cleaning seemed
to be necessary. Now I cannot remove the damn stuff at all.

Done vinegar too, btw. We spray after each shower with whatever that
shower-spray stuff is, which does prevent it getting worse; but
there's still this residual blemish that nothing seems to shift.

Any suggestions?

Angle Grinder.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"me here" wrote in message
I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen.
previously this has been dealt with by steam cleaning once it got too
much for proprietary shower sprays to deal with. Then a combination
of meths and/or lime-scale remover followed by steam cleaning seemed
to be necessary. Now I cannot remove the damn stuff at all.

Done vinegar too, btw. We spray after each shower with whatever that
shower-spray stuff is, which does prevent it getting worse; but
there's still this residual blemish that nothing seems to shift.

Any suggestions?

There is definitely a product available from morrisons which does the job...
Viakal
Just dont get your hands on it..use rubber gloves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

me here wrote:
I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen.
previously this has been dealt with by steam cleaning once it got too
much for proprietary shower sprays to deal with. Then a combination
of meths and/or lime-scale remover followed by steam cleaning seemed
to be necessary. Now I cannot remove the damn stuff at all.

Done vinegar too, btw. We spray after each shower with whatever that
shower-spray stuff is, which does prevent it getting worse; but
there's still this residual blemish that nothing seems to shift.

Any suggestions?

Since glass is pretty inert it can't have soaked in, it must be on the
surface.

Limescale dissolves in acids, no question - so you need a stronger descaler.

Soap scum probably also contains body fat. Both respond to alkali
cleaners - but you need a stronger one.

Look up 'Janitorial Suppliers' in your local YP & pay one a visit. You can
get really good products at surprisingly low prices.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

me here wrote:
I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen.
previously this has been dealt with by steam cleaning once it got too
much for proprietary shower sprays to deal with. Then a combination
of meths and/or lime-scale remover followed by steam cleaning seemed
to be necessary. Now I cannot remove the damn stuff at all.

Done vinegar too, btw. We spray after each shower with whatever that
shower-spray stuff is, which does prevent it getting worse; but
there's still this residual blemish that nothing seems to shift.

Any suggestions?

LimeLite active gel is the dogs nuts for this kind of scum. Failing
that your best option is brick acid!

http://www.limeliteinfo.co.uk/products.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Osborne" wrote in message
me here wrote:
I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen.
previously this has been dealt with by steam cleaning once it got too
much for proprietary shower sprays to deal with. Then a combination
of meths and/or lime-scale remover followed by steam cleaning seemed
to be necessary. Now I cannot remove the damn stuff at all. Done vinegar
too, btw. We spray after each shower with whatever that
shower-spray stuff is, which does prevent it getting worse; but
there's still this residual blemish that nothing seems to shift.

Any suggestions?

LimeLite active gel is the dogs nuts for this kind of scum. Failing that
your best option is brick acid!

http://www.limeliteinfo.co.uk/products.asp

Start a policy of only using liquid soaps. Leaves no scum therefore you
don't damage surfaces and make them prone to staining due to excessive
cleaning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"BigGirlsBlouse" writes:

"me here" wrote in message
I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen.
previously this has been dealt with by steam cleaning once it got too
much for proprietary shower sprays to deal with. Then a combination
of meths and/or lime-scale remover followed by steam cleaning seemed
to be necessary. Now I cannot remove the damn stuff at all.

Done vinegar too, btw. We spray after each shower with whatever that
shower-spray stuff is, which does prevent it getting worse; but
there's still this residual blemish that nothing seems to shift.

Any suggestions?

There is definitely a product available from morrisons which does the job...
Viakal
Just dont get your hands on it..use rubber gloves.

and don't get it on aluminium, or in an enamel bath, or on
stainless steel...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Feb, 16:05, me here wrote:
I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen.
previously this has been dealt with by steam cleaning once it got too
much for proprietary shower sprays to deal with. *Then a combination
of meths and/or lime-scale remover followed by steam cleaning seemed
to be necessary. *Now I cannot remove the damn stuff at all.

Done vinegar too, btw. *We spray after each shower with whatever that
shower-spray stuff is, which does prevent it getting worse; but
there's still this residual blemish that nothing seems to shift.

Any suggestions?

I find Cillit Bang works well on that sort of stuff. However, don't
pay whatever outrageous price they charge for the real stuff. Your
local pound shop will have "Sonic Boom" which as far as I can tell is
exactly the same stuff for £1.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

me here wrote:
I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen.
previously this has been dealt with by steam cleaning once it got too
much for proprietary shower sprays to deal with. Then a combination
of meths and/or lime-scale remover followed by steam cleaning seemed
to be necessary. Now I cannot remove the damn stuff at all.

Done vinegar too, btw. We spray after each shower with whatever that
shower-spray stuff is, which does prevent it getting worse; but
there's still this residual blemish that nothing seems to shift.

Any suggestions?

Ozkleen - brilliant stuff for exactly this:
http://www.tesco.com/superstore/product/list.aspx?items=50604431,51127971,51717624,5866418 5,55456655,54213501,50600314,51872617,52047188,517 17653,56228763,56073547,51202974,54299871,51883852 ,51464191,51434503,55574837,54739052,59078284,5138 4446,51364689,50882618,52879637,52965005,57259618, 51445415,58999572,59085407,51424550,57231100&listI d=Bathroom%20cleaning%20products&specialOffer=0&po pup=1#

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"me here" wrote in message
I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen.
previously this has been dealt with by steam cleaning once it got too
much for proprietary shower sprays to deal with. Then a combination
of meths and/or lime-scale remover followed by steam cleaning seemed
to be necessary. Now I cannot remove the damn stuff at all.

Done vinegar too, btw. We spray after each shower with whatever that
shower-spray stuff is, which does prevent it getting worse; but
there's still this residual blemish that nothing seems to shift.

Any suggestions?

On occasions I have used Harpic limescale toilet cleaner to remove limescale
on baths, taps, basins etc.

When applied it fizzes up a treat, but I don't leave it unattended on chrome
plated taps, or plugholes, because it strips off the chrome in no time !
Don't ask me how I found this out !!
I rinse thoughly with warm water when finished, and I don't let the kids get
their hands on it.

And, before all the naysayers pipe up, I know it says on the container, " Do
not use on anything other than Toilet bowls", but I don't care.

Viakal is good as well, but it's got nowhere near the power of Harpic.

This information is provided with no warrantees, so don't blame me if it
dissolves your shower screen.

Ian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian French wrote:

And, before all the naysayers pipe up, I know it says on the container, " Do
not use on anything other than Toilet bowls", but I don't care.

Oh you rebel, you...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"BigGirlsBlouse" writes:

"me here" wrote in message
I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen.
previously this has been dealt with by steam cleaning once it got
too much for proprietary shower sprays to deal with. Then a
combination of meths and/or lime-scale remover followed by steam
cleaning seemed to be necessary. Now I cannot remove the damn
stuff at all.

Done vinegar too, btw. We spray after each shower with whatever
that shower-spray stuff is, which does prevent it getting worse; but
there's still this residual blemish that nothing seems to shift.

Any suggestions?

There is definitely a product available from morrisons which does
the job... Viakal
Just dont get your hands on it..use rubber gloves.

and don't get it on aluminium, or in an enamel bath, or on
stainless steel...

Where do you get that from? From the P&G web site;

Viakal can safely be used on:

Chrome fixtures, stainless steel and fibreglass surfaces, ceramic tiles,
porcelain (sink, shower tray, WC, bidet), glass/plastic (shower doors,
plastic baths, vases), aluminium. Viakal is also safe for septic tanks.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen.

I always use Kilrock for limescale. Works on everything IME.

However, wear rubber gloves or it will suck every drop of oil out of your
hands, and use in a well ventilated space or the fumes will rip your lungs
out.

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"BigGirlsBlouse" writes:

"me here" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe it's not as strong as it was 8 years ago, when it stained
my stainless steel sink.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

me here wrote:
I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen.
previously this has been dealt with by steam cleaning once it got too
much for proprietary shower sprays to deal with. Then a combination
of meths and/or lime-scale remover followed by steam cleaning seemed
to be necessary. Now I cannot remove the damn stuff at all.

Done vinegar too, btw. We spray after each shower with whatever that
shower-spray stuff is, which does prevent it getting worse; but
there's still this residual blemish that nothing seems to shift.

Any suggestions?

Most of whats suggested so far will work but you'll be 80 by the time
it does. Just use brick acid, which is hydrochloric acid, and waste
time no more. _Dont_ get any drops on metalwork though, or tile grout,
or concrete, or eyeballs. Why people want to tt about with feeble
overpriced commercial products I've no idea.

NT

PS only use it if you know the basics of how to handle acids. If
clueless, leave it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:30:11 -0000, Ian French wrote:

"me here" wrote in message
I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen.
previously this has been dealt with by steam cleaning once it got too
much for proprietary shower sprays to deal with. Then a combination
of meths and/or lime-scale remover followed by steam cleaning seemed
to be necessary. Now I cannot remove the damn stuff at all.

Done vinegar too, btw. We spray after each shower with whatever that
shower-spray stuff is, which does prevent it getting worse; but
there's still this residual blemish that nothing seems to shift.

Any suggestions?

On occasions I have used Harpic limescale toilet cleaner to remove limescale
on baths, taps, basins etc.

When applied it fizzes up a treat, but I don't leave it unattended on chrome
plated taps, or plugholes, because it strips off the chrome in no time !
Don't ask me how I found this out !!

It contains hydrochloric acid! Many years ago I worked in the lab. of a big
plating firm and we used HCl to test chrome plate by timing how long it
took to get down to the nickel.
It'll also go for stainless steel and brass - you can clean your basin back
to the ceramic!

I rinse thoughly with warm water when finished, and I don't let the kids get
their hands on it.

And, before all the naysayers pipe up, I know it says on the container, " Do
not use on anything other than Toilet bowls", but I don't care.

Viakal is good as well, but it's got nowhere near the power of Harpic.

This information is provided with no warrantees, so don't blame me if it
dissolves your shower screen.

Ian.

--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:05:51 +0000, me here wrote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the suggestions - even the "Texas Angle-Grinder
Massacre" and "Friends of Dr. Crippen" ones.

I'll try the least aggressive recommendations first (bearing in mind
that a shower enclosure typically is erected in close proximity to
aluminum, grout and glazed ceramics) moving up to diluted battery
acid in due course!

But seriously - thank you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 02:30:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Well, the presence of large areas of tile grout and metalwork in my
shower answers that question...

I was rather assuming it would be applied selectively, not sprayed
over eveything

Drips!