Default Bar Keeper's Friend for Toilet Lime Scale?

Has anyone used BKF for lime scale in a porcelain toilet bowl?

BKF says it can be used on sinks, baths, etc., but they don't mention
toilets.

Seems like it might be effective. We've had a problem and neither CLR
nor vinegar has not been helpful!

Any comments appreciated!

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone used BKF for lime scale in a porcelain toilet bowl?

BKF says it can be used on sinks, baths, etc., but they don't mention
toilets.

Seems like it might be effective. We've had a problem and neither CLR
nor vinegar has not been helpful!

Any comments appreciated!

yes. it does work somewhat, but not as well as stronger acids.

AutoTracer

A cleaner meant for use full strength on surfaces would probably be too
diluted in the toilet water to be very useful. If you got most of the water
out of the bowl first then you should have its full effacy.

I have been able to buy quite strong hydrochloric acid based bowl cleaner at
the dollar store near me. this stuff is quite a bit stronger than any of
those you mention for far lower cost.

I've had rust stains that refused to be removed except when I layed a rag
soaked with CLR on top of it for almost a day. The extended soak time
finally worked.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone used BKF for lime scale in a porcelain toilet bowl?

BKF says it can be used on sinks, baths, etc., but they don't mention
toilets.

Seems like it might be effective. We've had a problem and neither CLR
nor vinegar has not been helpful!

Any comments appreciated!

nospambob

Wood bleach that is Oxalic Acid, active ingredient in BKF, may work
better. Read the label as there are other wood bleaches.

On 26 May 2005 14:22:14 -0700, "
wrote:

Has anyone used BKF for lime scale in a porcelain toilet bowl?

BKF says it can be used on sinks, baths, etc., but they don't mention
toilets.

Seems like it might be effective. We've had a problem and neither CLR
nor vinegar has not been helpful!

Any comments appreciated!

Edwin Pawlowski

On 26 May 2005 14:22:14 -0700, "
wrote:

Has anyone used BKF for lime scale in a porcelain toilet bowl?

BKF says it can be used on sinks, baths, etc., but they don't mention
toilets.

The lady that does our cleaning at work likes Zud. She does wonderful
cleaning with it.

Blue

For serious buildup use a pumice bar. At least that's what I think it is.
It looks like an enongated bar of stone but is softer than the toilet and
harder than the buildup so it doesn't hurt the toilet. It isn't meant for
regular use but does the job quickly.

Of course regular cleaning keeps the buildup from gaining a hold.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone used BKF for lime scale in a porcelain toilet bowl?

BKF says it can be used on sinks, baths, etc., but they don't mention
toilets.

Seems like it might be effective. We've had a problem and neither CLR
nor vinegar has not been helpful!

Any comments appreciated!

Phisherman

Using an abrasive such as BKF on porcelain will scratch it. From then
on cleaning it will be more difficult.

wrote:

Has anyone used BKF for lime scale in a porcelain toilet bowl?

BKF says it can be used on sinks, baths, etc., but they don't mention
toilets.

Seems like it might be effective. We've had a problem and neither CLR
nor vinegar has not been helpful!

Any comments appreciated!

Jim Yanik

Phisherman wrote in
news
Using an abrasive such as BKF on porcelain will scratch it. From then
on cleaning it will be more difficult.

I checked the BKF can I have and it says it contains mild abrasives.
So,it could not be pure oxalic acid.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Stormin Mormon

I've had to remove the water from my bowl, and pour in muriatic acid
concentrate to get the limescale. Not for everyone to try, you know.

Follow that, with scraping using the plastic handle of the toilet brush.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone used BKF for lime scale in a porcelain toilet bowl?

BKF says it can be used on sinks, baths, etc., but they don't mention
toilets.

Seems like it might be effective. We've had a problem and neither CLR
nor vinegar has not been helpful!

Any comments appreciated!

Jim Yanik

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I've had to remove the water from my bowl, and pour in muriatic acid
concentrate to get the limescale. Not for everyone to try, you know.

Wouldn't that etch the porcelain finish?

I believe acid is what's used to etch porcelain bathtubs for refinishing,to
get the epoxy to adhere.

Follow that, with scraping using the plastic handle of the toilet brush.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Stormin Mormon

Don't know off hand. Maybe there was enough calcium that it used up all the
acid.

Looks better now than before. I know that much.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message