Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower base scum - cleaning off

This may occur on other shower base types but ours is quarry tiles and
has built up recently (change of shampoo type perhaps?) a whitish
deposit on the tiles which is soft enough to scrape off but doesn't,
according to HID, respond to the normal range of cleaners.

Any suggestion please - thanks in advance

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
This may occur on other shower base types but ours is quarry tiles and
has built up recently (change of shampoo type perhaps?) a whitish
deposit on the tiles which is soft enough to scrape off but doesn't,
according to HID, respond to the normal range of cleaners.

Any suggestion please - thanks in advance

Either body fat or limescale. I suspect the latter, get some Lime Lite or
similar.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
robgraham wrote:
This may occur on other shower base types but ours is quarry tiles and
has built up recently (change of shampoo type perhaps?) a whitish
deposit on the tiles which is soft enough to scrape off but doesn't,
according to HID, respond to the normal range of cleaners.

Any suggestion please - thanks in advance

Either body fat or limescale. I suspect the latter, get some Lime Lite or
similar.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Ban soap. Only use liquid shower gels (Sanex is good). It will improve
things and save a lot of cleaning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

robgraham wrote:
This may occur on other shower base types but ours is quarry tiles and
has built up recently (change of shampoo type perhaps?) a whitish
deposit on the tiles which is soft enough to scrape off but doesn't,
according to HID, respond to the normal range of cleaners.

Any suggestion please - thanks in advance

Either body fat or limescale. I suspect the latter, get some Lime Lite or
similar.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Dave - thanks for replying. I suspect that that would be the solution
where you are but we are just outside Edinburgh and the water is soft
and contains no lime. I would have also thought that a lime deposit
would be a bit harder than what we're getting.

The trouble is that the tiles used (don't know if you can get them
now) are the quarry type that are smooth on one side - used in the
hall - and knobbly on the other - used in the shower area so you don't
slip (which you then do if you come out with wet feet into the
hall !!). Anyway the build up is between the knobbles so either needs
to be removed mechanically or chemically.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Feb, 09:34, Emil Tiades wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 00:32:21 -0800 (PST), robgraham

wrote:
Dave - thanks for replying. I suspect that that would be the solution
where you are but we are just outside Edinburgh and the water is soft
and contains no lime. I would have also thought that a lime deposit
would be a bit harder than what we're getting.

The trouble is that the tiles used (don't know if you can get them
now) are the quarry type that are smooth on one side - used in the
hall - and knobbly on the other - used in the shower area so you don't
slip (which you then do if you come out with wet feet into the
hall !!). Anyway the build up is between the knobbles so either needs
to be removed mechanically or chemically.

Karcher job, it seems

Hmm - yes I hadn't thought of that. Good one, ta.

Rob

Neaples sucks! Neapolitans are the scum of the peoples Hidalgo Velázquez Electronics Repair 1 June 5th 07 12:44 PM
preventing sink scum Phisherman Home Repair 0 July 31st 06 06:37 PM
Raising a Shower Base Lenny Brown UK diy 2 January 17th 06 04:01 PM
Shower Tray Base MIx John UK diy 2 September 8th 05 11:27 PM
Shower base issue PhilÅ UK diy 2 December 24th 04 12:55 PM