Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Potterton Profile 50 E - fitting a RF Stat

A mate has one of these and wants to fit a RF Room Thermostat. He can't find
the manual - are there any tricks or traps?

Is it easy to pick up a live, neutral and switched feed? Is there a
connector strip or similar?

Also any views on a good RF Stat?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:16:15 +0000, John wrote:

A mate has one of these and wants to fit a RF Room Thermostat. He can't find
the manual - are there any tricks or traps?

Is it easy to pick up a live, neutral and switched feed? Is there a
connector strip or similar?

Yup, all fairly straightforward.

Also any views on a good RF Stat?

The Honeywell CM927 7-day RF progstat isn't the cheapest but in my
experience is reliable and easy to program and use. My target price is £79
ex VAT, £93 including. There's a cheaper 1-day version you can get from
Screwfix.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:16:15 +0000, John wrote:

A mate has one of these and wants to fit a RF Room Thermostat. He can't
find
the manual - are there any tricks or traps?

Is it easy to pick up a live, neutral and switched feed? Is there a
connector strip or similar?

Yup, all fairly straightforward.

Also any views on a good RF Stat?

The Honeywell CM927 7-day RF progstat isn't the cheapest but in my
experience is reliable and easy to program and use. My target price is £79
ex VAT, £93 including. There's a cheaper 1-day version you can get from
Screwfix.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Just read the spec - question - if it is a 2 wire connection then how is the
boiler receiver unit powered as I guess it doesn't have a neutral. Does it
just operate in series with the boiler electrics - picking up current in the
same way that a PIR light switch does?

On the Potterton is there an easy to access link / bridge to remove in order
to fit the unit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
A mate has one of these and wants to fit a RF Room Thermostat. He can't
find the manual - are there any tricks or traps?

Is it easy to pick up a live, neutral and switched feed? Is there a
connector strip or similar?

Also any views on a good RF Stat?

I cannot help you with the Potterton wiring diagram (I do not have one), you
will have to take peek at it yourself.

I can recommend Drayton RF stats and suggest that you stay away from Siemens
and Salus.

The Siemens have a fantastic failure rate and Salus have the worst support
team in the world.

I fitted 100 Siemens RF stats/RF programmers last year and 20% failed in one
way or another. I also fitted 20 Salus RF stats/programmers and had one
failure (faulty when new) but the company never calls you back when you
leave a message or six.

I also fitted about 30 Drayton RF stats/programmers. Not one failure.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:36:56 +0000, John wrote:

"YAPH" wrote in message
[...]

To fit:

I presume this installation has zone valve? and works both heating and HW?

If so the wireless stat must be wired into the control wiring. The
receivrs power will come from there and the receiver contacts will be in
series with the supply to the heating zone valve motor.

If by some chance this is a heatign only installation then...

There is a connection block on the lower front right of the drop down
section of the boiler.

The four connections on the right of this connection block are

PL, N , E and SL . (not sure which order).

PL and N supply permanent power to the receiver and the receiver contacts
are in series with the wire to SL to make the boiler run.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:36:56 +0000, John wrote:

Just read the spec - question - if it is a 2 wire connection then how is
the boiler receiver unit powered as I guess it doesn't have a neutral.

Yes it needs live and neutral from the system controls (after the 3A fuse
and isolating switch feeding the rest of the system.

Does
it just operate in series with the boiler electrics - picking up current
in the same way that a PIR light switch does?

No

On the Potterton is there an easy to access link / bridge to remove in
order to fit the unit?

Off the top of my head, the Potterton has a mains (L+N) feed from
the system fuse + switch, and a switched live terminal from the controls
system to tell it when to fire up. You'd wire it as per a standard Y-plan
or S-plan system (whichever you've got) with the progstat taking the place
of both the CH side of the programmer and the CH wall stat. What have
you/your friend got at the moment?

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Life is nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't looked - but he has no room stat. So I presume the receiver will
go in place of the CH feed to the timer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:36:56 +0000, John wrote:

Just read the spec - question - if it is a 2 wire connection then how is
the boiler receiver unit powered as I guess it doesn't have a neutral.

Yes it needs live and neutral from the system controls (after the 3A fuse
and isolating switch feeding the rest of the system.

Does
it just operate in series with the boiler electrics - picking up current
in the same way that a PIR light switch does?

No

If it is two wire then if it was on the live and neutral how does it switch?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:22:58 +0000, John wrote:

If it is two wire then if it was on the live and neutral how does it
switch?

It's not 2-wire. At least, not the ones I've used.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Extreme moderate

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:21:12 +0000, John wrote:

I haven't looked - but he has no room stat. So I presume the receiver
will go in place of the CH feed to the timer.

Yes if it's a programmable thermostat since that'll take care of the
timing as well as the temperature control. Would he keep the programmer to
control the hot water?

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

This message has been rot13 encrypted twice for added security
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:22:58 +0000, John wrote:

If it is two wire then if it was on the live and neutral how does it
switch?

It's not 2-wire. At least, not the ones I've used.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Extreme moderate

Sorry - I feel sure I saw one which claimed to be 2 wire. Seems unlikely

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:22:58 +0000, John wrote:

If it is two wire then if it was on the live and neutral how does it
switch?

It's not 2-wire. At least, not the ones I've used.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Extreme moderate

From web page:

The CM700 range of programmable room thermostats is designed for social
housing provider and specifier market needs by providing automatic time and
temperature control of domestic heating premises.
Large LCD display with simple to program and easy to use functionality.
No installer links or switches on the back of the unit
means no adjustment is required for combi boilers and most central heating
systems.
The CM700 range has a scheduled maintenance alert, fault diagnostic mode and
automatic Summer/Winter time change to assist in maintenance.
The range caters for all requirements with hard-wired or wireless versions
and 1 day or 7 day programming. Two wire, volt free connections are ideal
for use with combination boilers.
A simple user guide is now available in the Download Centre under 'Quick
Install'.
Features:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...

"John" wrote in message
[...]

He has spotted a Drayton TLX RFP and is going to order it.

He has a digital programmer - I need to give some thought to the wiring - I
am guessing there will be a link for the room thermostat on the boiler
connections.. Any thoughts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have downloaded a wiring diagram - same for 30e to 100e..

Blowed if it is as obvious as I expected. Off for a pint.

Hope someone can offer to take a look

http://picasaweb.google.com/Training...eat=directlink

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
ARWadsworth writes

"John" wrote in message
A mate has one of these and wants to fit a RF Room Thermostat. He can't
find the manual - are there any tricks or traps?

Is it easy to pick up a live, neutral and switched feed? Is there a
connector strip or similar?

Also any views on a good RF Stat?

I cannot help you with the Potterton wiring diagram (I do not have one),

I'm bound sure to have a profile interconnection diagram somewhere

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Should that be Sunvic not Drayton?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

"John" wrote in message
A mate has one of these and wants to fit a RF Room Thermostat. He can't
find the manual - are there any tricks or traps?

Is it easy to pick up a live, neutral and switched feed? Is there a
connector strip or similar?

Also any views on a good RF Stat?

I cannot help you with the Potterton wiring diagram (I do not have one),

I'm bound sure to have a profile interconnection diagram somewhere

--
geoff

There used to be a torrent of many manuals floating about. I cannot find it
now.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.. .

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

"John" wrote in message
A mate has one of these and wants to fit a RF Room Thermostat. He can't
find the manual - are there any tricks or traps?

Is it easy to pick up a live, neutral and switched feed? Is there a
connector strip or similar?

Also any views on a good RF Stat?

I cannot help you with the Potterton wiring diagram (I do not have one),

I'm bound sure to have a profile interconnection diagram somewhere

--
geoff

There used to be a torrent of many manuals floating about. I cannot find
it now.

Adam

I have found it.

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/2...re?tab=summary

I have downloaded the relevant manual and sent a copy to the OP.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

I have downloaded a wiring diagram - same for 30e to 100e..

Blowed if it is as obvious as I expected. Off for a pint.

Hope someone can offer to take a look

http://picasaweb.google.com/Training...eat=directlink

John

If you want that full manual email me.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 23:54:48 +0000, John wrote:

The CM700 range has a scheduled maintenance alert, fault diagnostic mode
and automatic Summer/Winter time change to assist in maintenance. The
range caters for all requirements with hard-wired or wireless versions
and 1 day or 7 day programming. Two wire, volt free connections are
ideal for use with combination boilers.

That's for the wired ones. The wireless ones require a mains supply for
the (HC60NG) relay unit.

BTW the CM7xx series looks like a nice lower-cost version of the 9xx
series, and I did get one with this in mind, but after looking at its
features (or lack of them, compared to the 9xx versions) sent it back.
Can't remember specifically what put me off but I reckoned the 9xx were
worth the extra.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

This sig intentionally left blank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:52:53 +0000, John wrote:

He has a digital programmer - I need to give some thought to the wiring
- I am guessing there will be a link for the room thermostat on the
boiler connections.. Any thoughts?

No (we went through this before!) - the boiler has a switched live
input, which comes from the motorised valve(s) in a normal Y-plan or S-plan
system. Have a look on the wiki for a schematic of a Y-plan (the more
complicated - the S-plan's a piece of urine).

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Tits like coconuts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:15:25 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

There used to be a torrent of many manuals floating about. I cannot find
it now.

GAM on The Pirate Bay

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Blamestorming
Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed
or a project failed, and who was responsible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Ed. Trying to trace it through to understand how the DHW would still
work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

"John" wrote in message
A mate has one of these and wants to fit a RF Room Thermostat. He can't
find the manual - are there any tricks or traps?

Is it easy to pick up a live, neutral and switched feed? Is there a
connector strip or similar?

Also any views on a good RF Stat?

I cannot help you with the Potterton wiring diagram (I do not have one),

I'm bound sure to have a profile interconnection diagram somewhere

--
geoff

There used to be a torrent of many manuals floating about. I cannot find it
now.

Na und ?

for what
I have one

30 secs to scan in the I/c diagram

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
[...]

Leave the DHW controls well alone. Find the wire to the existing wall
thermostat (if fitted). Add the receiver to this cable and supply the
receiver with mains power aswell. Put CH timer control on 24 hours.
Leave boiler alone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
[...]

That will leave the HW on 24/7 if the system has gravity fed HW.

As the system has no existing room thermostat I suspect that it is not a
fully pumped system.

Adam