Sparks

Default Potterton Profile Boiler

Hi,

I have a Potterton Profile boiler in a fully pumped system.

The boiler's pilot light is lit every time the boiler is needed.
automatically

I have noticed recently, when the boiler is called for, it sometimes
(usually) does the following

Fan on (5 seconds)
Fan off 3 seconds

Fan on 2 seconds
Fan off 3 seconds

The 2on 3off can repeat for a while (8 times just now when I tested it from
cold)

Then it ignites, and works fine (as far as I can tell!)

About a minute after it was running, I turned it off, then back on again, it
did the 2on 3off 4 times this time

Is this something I should worry about?!

If so, what is the likely problem?

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:49:34 +0000, Sparks wrote:

Hi,

I have a Potterton Profile boiler in a fully pumped system.

The boiler's pilot light is lit every time the boiler is needed.
automatically

I have noticed recently, when the boiler is called for, it sometimes
(usually) does the following

Fan on (5 seconds)
Fan off 3 seconds

Fan on 2 seconds
Fan off 3 seconds

The 2on 3off can repeat for a while (8 times just now when I tested it from
cold)

Then it ignites, and works fine (as far as I can tell!)

About a minute after it was running, I turned it off, then back on again, it
did the 2on 3off 4 times this time

Is this something I should worry about?!

If so, what is the likely problem?

This is almost certainly a fault in the control box.
The fan runs up, the air pressure switch changes over, but the box does not
change over in response, thus the fan is then unpowered and winds down,
the air pressure switch changes back, the fans starts...

IIRC this is a stuck relay in the control box.
A new box is available from. geoff i.e. www.cetltd.com
The control box is reasonably easy to fit if you are experienced with
electric applinace repairs involving about 20 connections.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

geoff

In message , Sparks writes
Hi,

I have a Potterton Profile boiler in a fully pumped system.

The boiler's pilot light is lit every time the boiler is needed.
automatically

I have noticed recently, when the boiler is called for, it sometimes
(usually) does the following

Fan on (5 seconds)
Fan off 3 seconds

Fan on 2 seconds
Fan off 3 seconds

The 2on 3off can repeat for a while (8 times just now when I tested it from
cold)

Then it ignites, and works fine (as far as I can tell!)

About a minute after it was running, I turned it off, then back on again, it
did the 2on 3off 4 times this time

Is this something I should worry about?!

If so, what is the likely problem?

I would think it's the air pressure switch on it's way out or a relay on
the pcb
--
geoff
geoff

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:49:34 +0000, Sparks wrote:

If so, what is the likely problem?

This is almost certainly a fault in the control box.
The fan runs up, the air pressure switch changes over, but the box does not
change over in response, thus the fan is then unpowered and winds down,
the air pressure switch changes back, the fans starts...

IIRC this is a stuck relay in the control box.
A new box is available from. geoff i.e. www.cetltd.com
The control box is reasonably easy to fit if you are experienced with
electric applinace repairs involving about 20 connections.

5 flying leads, two molex connectors and the HT lead

it's retained by 4 nylon standoffs
--
geoff

CH boiler - making droning noise - Potterton Suprima 60 Eric the Red UK diy 2 September 29th 03 03:01 PM
Boiler Programmable Thermostat Trips RCD? Rich UK diy 1 September 16th 03 04:23 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM
Poxy Potterton boiler again... Colin Swan UK diy 8 July 8th 03 10:44 PM