Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A little snow had began to fall....

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 18:07:40 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

Is that a microwave link to someplace in that last pic?..

Wi-Fi access point antenna for Cybermoor. Its just been moved there as a
new customer couldn't get a signal from it with it in its the orginal
position. It's tilted down as the places it serves are in the bottom of
the valley about 400' lower.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 18:07:40 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

Is that a microwave link to someplace in that last pic?..

Wi-Fi access point antenna for Cybermoor. Its just been moved there as a
new customer couldn't get a signal from it with it in its the orginal
position. It's tilted down as the places it serves are in the bottom of
the valley about 400' lower.

So your supplying the signals then?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:09:00 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

At least I set it to "shade", the auto white balance gets *very*
confused with sunlit snow and makes everything very blue.

No, your eyes get confused, the lighting is blue in shadows.

er, how does that explain the blue cast over snow pictures taken with auto
white enabled?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:09:00 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

At least I set it to "shade", the auto white balance gets *very*
confused with sunlit snow and makes everything very blue.

No, your eyes get confused, the lighting is blue in shadows.

er, how does that explain the blue cast over snow pictures taken with auto
white enabled?

Cos the light IS very blue.

Auto white is probably not very good on snow. Go for color temp
6000-7000 if you can.. or take it all out later with photoshop etc.
I took a snowy squirrel the other day. Had to go to 1600 ASA, and tart
the contrast up with software. Also a wee tweak towards the red end.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 09:25:19 -0600, Jules
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:27:24 +0000, Mike Clarke wrote:
With the result that some of the kids are turned away to roam the streets
with no parents at home. The kids are then in a situation where the staff
to student ratio is zero but the school no longer has to worry about
being held liable for anything that happens to them.

So what's the solution? Parents should check before packing them off to
school, or is that too hard? (actually, it probably is for some of them)

Here closures/late starts are always put up on the school's website,
the school district website, as a scrolling message on the local TV
weather channel, and every ten minutes or so on several local radio
stations.

Trouble is that the school web sites and the County Council one all
went down last week because they couldn't cope with the extra traffic.

The local radio station announces the closures but only after we had
to leave to take them to school!

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:04:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 12:25:26 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

Your roads have less ice/slush on them than the ones I have been driving
on in Tipton!

Our boys(*) do a very good job. The clear road was ploughed and gritted
every hour from about 1800 on Monday through to 0000 about the time the
snow stopped falling and had become a bit wet so had stopped drifting as
well. It was also ploughed and gritted again about 0800. In the evening
you'd be hard pushed tell it had been round only an hour before.

The slushy one was last treated in the afternoon of Monday. It's still
closed past the last house. All the main roads are now open, until later
tonight/tommorow?

(*) There are two gritters with blade and point ploughs and a snow blower
at a yard in the town all year. They don't do a lot from May to September
but in the other 7 months of the year the gritters can be out gritting
against frost.

Wow! Our council only gritted the major A roads.
--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

Wow! Our council only gritted the major A roads.

The highways agency pays for major A roads to be gritted.. your council is
doing nothing for you if its only the major A roads that get gritted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mark i@getlots
ofspamthankstoplus.net scribeth thus
wrote:

[...]

One of our local stations was phoned by some schools .. Non of them had
any idea of their school local education school numbers or passwords!..

Still the station managed to phone 'em back to conform they said who
they were otherwise some kids might get a gruff voiced sixth former to
try it on...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 10:12:27 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .

Wow! Our council only gritted the major A roads.

The highways agency pays for major A roads to be gritted.. your council is
doing nothing for you if its only the major A roads that get gritted.

No surprise there. They only seem to be interested in the city
centres. Outlying areas and villages are neglected IMHO.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 10:12:27 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

Wow! Our council only gritted the major A roads.

The highways agency pays for major A roads to be gritted..

Yep motorways and trunk roads are Highways Agency, the more strategic
routes.

your council is doing nothing for you if its only the major A roads that
get gritted.

Have a dig about on your councils website you should be able to find what
roads they grit and with what priority.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 21:52:59 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 10:12:27 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

Wow! Our council only gritted the major A roads.

The highways agency pays for major A roads to be gritted..

Yep motorways and trunk roads are Highways Agency, the more strategic
routes.

your council is doing nothing for you if its only the major A roads that
get gritted.

Have a dig about on your councils website you should be able to find what
roads they grit and with what priority.

Our cul-de-sac and the sort of c-d-s that feeds it were never gritted
until last year even though they are quite steep and exposed. I'm now
quite impressed that they're gritted on a regular basis.
I wonder if a councillor has come to live around here somewhere... ;-)

Today (yesterday, actually) has been quite warm, dry and sunny. Just
nice for walking the dog, Pericles, for a few miles.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

[...]

Yesterday actually found the 'roads we grit' map published by the council.

For reasons that are not entirely clear it is provided as a 34MB pdf
with every tiny mark from the OS maps for the area faithfully reproduced.

And they have cut out our road (which, within the area is important),
and the roads that our road feeds into at both ends, and the one
alternative that is, in a sort of way, off from the middle of our road.
All roads into our area are steep, some very.

Especially oddly, the route that leads from the ambulance station, fire
and police stations is not being gritted.

It is no surprise that over this snowy period, I have seen several cars
disappearing in the morning only to reappear a few minutes later when
they can't get out of the area.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 10:12:27 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

Wow! Our council only gritted the major A roads.

The highways agency pays for major A roads to be gritted..

Yep motorways and trunk roads are Highways Agency, the more strategic
routes.

your council is doing nothing for you if its only the major A roads that
get gritted.

Have a dig about on your councils website you should be able to find what
roads they grit and with what priority.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! I've already done this, which is why I feel justified
to moan about it. I have contacted my local councillor too FWIW. They
just point me to a bland statement which states that they have
identified "key routes" and they grit those. According to their map
this only includes major A roads (which have been de-trunked).

They failed to answer any of my specified questions and I gave up
after an exchange of several emails.

The roads that they fail to grit include routes near schools, bus
routes and other steep and busy routes. Last Thursday morning the
whole area gridlocked because lorries and cars were completely stuck
and all the rush hour traffic backed up for miles. The Police even
showed up to sort the mess out, it was that bad!

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 07:32:23 +0000, Rod wrote:

Especially oddly, the route that leads from the ambulance station, fire
and police stations is not being gritted.

This is *really* bad. I wonder how the council would like to be dragged
through the courts for the rebuilding costs of a house that burnt down
because the fire service couldn't attend in a timely manner. Or the loss
of earnings to the dependants of some one who dies because the ambulance
service couldn't attend or get to them to hospital.

Access to and from garages/bases of the emergency services, hospitals then
bus stations and main bus routes should be the bits that have the highest
priority and are kept as clear as possible even if that means a plough
just driving around and around all night passing a given point every hour.

That's what they do up here, the Brampton Road to Alston and the roads to
Nenthead and Garrigill are kept open unless things get *really* bad.
"Really bad" meaning drifts 4' and snow falling/drifting such that the
ploughed path through the 4' drifts fills back up in less than hour. Then
the ploughs get stuck, yes it does happen.

I suggest you point your local paper at it and the national tabloids as
well, though I suspect they probably have more than enough similar stories
from other councils now.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

The roads they are clearing are both narrow, winding, very steep roads
up which I would not choose to drive any form of HGV - like a fire
appliance. In fact, in these conditions, not even a very good 4x4.

The big one they do not clear is straight (nearly), wide and a bit less
steep (and at least you get a good run-up).

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Feb 2009 10:28:23 GMT, Huge wrote:

I very much doubt the Fire Servive have a legal obligation to attend.
Although I'd like to be proven wrong.

OK not a criminal case but a civil one for damages.

--
Cheers
Dave.