Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A little snow had began to fall....

Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if you ask
me.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 08:06:12 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if you ask
me.

Southern Jessies...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine coughed up some electrons that declared:

wrote:

Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if you
ask me.

Southern Jessies...

Even the web servers are jessies:

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/

"No suitable nodes are available to serve your request."

Personally, I'm looking forward to the drive to take my car in to be fixed.
But ABS doesn't half take the fun out of life...

Hmm, still snowing - any more of this and Kent will start asking for
International Aid...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to
a complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if
you ask me.

Southern Jessies...

Even the web servers are jessies:

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/

"No suitable nodes are available to serve your request."

Personally, I'm looking forward to the drive to take my car in to be
fixed. But ABS doesn't half take the fun out of life...

Hmm, still snowing - any more of this and Kent will start asking for
International Aid...

I'm waiting for the first helicopter full of food parcels....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to
a complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if
you ask me.
Southern Jessies...

Even the web servers are jessies:

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/

"No suitable nodes are available to serve your request."

Personally, I'm looking forward to the drive to take my car in to be
fixed. But ABS doesn't half take the fun out of life...

Hmm, still snowing - any more of this and Kent will start asking for
International Aid...

I'm waiting for the first helicopter full of food parcels....

Helicopter full of MONEY these days..Govt cant afford to buy anything,
just print money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to
a complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if
you ask me.
Southern Jessies...

Even the web servers are jessies:

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/

"No suitable nodes are available to serve your request."

Personally, I'm looking forward to the drive to take my car in to be
fixed. But ABS doesn't half take the fun out of life...

Hmm, still snowing - any more of this and Kent will start asking for
International Aid...

I'm waiting for the first helicopter full of food parcels....

Do you have to pay when someone drops a food parcel to you? :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

[...]

Hmm, still snowing - any more of this and Kent will start asking for
International Aid...

I'm waiting for the first helicopter full of food parcels....

Do you have to pay when someone drops a food parcel to you? :-)

--
Rod

TeeVee always likes to give the impression that good Samaritans are
supplying nourishment in time of need.
30 years ago a relative and family were isolated by snow for a week in
Wales. No roads, power or heating. Only chink of assistance was a firm
offering a food parcel drop but they wanted £190.
Unaffordable, so they starved for a couple of days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if you
ask me.

Southern Jessies...

Even the web servers are jessies:

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/

"No suitable nodes are available to serve your request."

Personally, I'm looking forward to the drive to take my car in to be fixed.
But ABS doesn't half take the fun out of life...

Hmm, still snowing - any more of this and Kent will start asking for
International Aid...

A lot of ABS is best turned off in extremely slippery conditions. Why
nor turn it off and have fun anyway?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

A lot of ABS is best turned off in extremely slippery conditions. Why
nor turn it off and have fun anyway?

Not in "extremely slippery conditions". In loose snow, yes, so the snow
can pack and wedge in front of the locked wheels. On packed snow or ice,
you want it. It won't defy the laws of physics, though, so you still
won't actually stop. But you might have a slightly better chance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man coughed up some electrons that declared:

A lot of ABS is best turned off in extremely slippery conditions. Why
nor turn it off and have fun anyway?

Because I can't?

I've got a jessie car to go with being a big jessie girl's blouse living in
a jessie county.

hehe
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Invisible Man coughed up some electrons that declared:

A lot of ABS is best turned off in extremely slippery conditions. Why
nor turn it off and have fun anyway?

Because I can't?

Take the fuse out.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That was fun.

VW said I need a new vent pipe on the diesel preheater 'cos it's spewing
smoke everywhere - come back Friday. Car computers have apparently been
whining about everything - odd because nothing they whined about is
actually broken. Computers reset.

Nipped into Travis Perkins for some SBR (running some experiments on various
pots of sand to test its ability to stabilise crap).

Got stuck on the slope (jessie tyres in a jessie 4x2).

Found a shovel and the grit, nicked a bucket ("sorry mate - don't have a
bucket to hand, we're only a builders' merchant". - FFS I'll help meself).
Dug car out. Hmm - that's my morning excercise.

Returned borrowed shovel and nicked bucket. Went home, photographed snowman
that has appeared in garden. Nicked kids' playsand and old playdoh tubs and
set up some damp sand+SBR experiments. We'll see later what happens
there...

Southeastern Trains managed to get it up (web server). It say:

"Please note due to poor weather conditions, we are currently not running
any train services into or out of London."

Jessies...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:

Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if you ask
me.

Southern Jessies...

Seconded. Bunch of pooftahs, little bit of snow and they all start
crying.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 08:06:12 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

Hardly surprised that some schools are closed...e.g. Fort Pitt is at the
top of a cliff!

Further east, all pretty normal. Boys got on a slightly delayed train to
Ramsgate, no trouble.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 08:06:12 GMT
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if you ask
me.

Only in the Sarf could this happen. The map is right where it says,
just sarf of Yorvik: "'ere be dragons!".

Vikings Rule OK?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:
On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 08:06:12 GMT
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if
you ask me.

Only in the Sarf could this happen. The map is right where it says,
just sarf of Yorvik: "'ere be dragons!".

Vikings Rule OK?

Not at Stamford Bridge they didn't.

--
Dave - The Saxon Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if you ask
me.

Only things moving are 4WD. How ecologicaly disastrous. No London busses!

haha.

Well the trusty land rover will get through as long as its not 2 ft drifts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb, 08:06, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if you ask
me.

Aye, because we _LIKE_ it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if you ask
me.

Aye, because we _LIKE_ it.

Thought you were in Bristol? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if you ask
me.

Wycombe area here!

One of the quietest days I have ever known here. A mere handful of
vehicles on a road that frequently has lots. Think schools are closed -
children seen going off tobogganing. The problem roads are likely to be
the hills.

Clearing a bit of snow was an enjoyable few minutes. Fresh fall is so
easy compared to trodden, half-melted, compacted stuff.

Even started to melt a bit. And no fall at the moment.

Big realisation - there is no useful information on local roads. BBC
Local Traffic page - only weather related problem for Bucks is the M25
and M4. Local paper site is not working. (Crap even if it were working.)
Traffic England only cares about motorways and a few major roads (and is
barely working). Our immediately local roads look quite passable with
care. But if the other roads are impassable I'd like to know before I
get there.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.

Big realisation - there is no useful information on local roads. BBC
Local Traffic page - only weather related problem for Bucks is the M25
and M4. Local paper site is not working. (Crap even if it were working.)
Traffic England only cares about motorways and a few major roads (and is
barely working). Our immediately local roads look quite passable with
care. But if the other roads are impassable I'd like to know before I
get there.

have you tried
http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/loca...hamshire.shtml

it lists all the roads near me that are unusable today due to snow/ice.

--
Jim Kane
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a

.

Big realisation - there is no useful information on local roads. BBC
Local Traffic page - only weather related problem for Bucks is the M25
and M4. Local paper site is not working. (Crap even if it were working.)
Traffic England only cares about motorways and a few major roads (and is
barely working). Our immediately local roads look quite passable with
care. But if the other roads are impassable I'd like to know before I
get there.

have you tried
http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/loca...hamshire.shtml

it lists all the roads near me that are unusable today due to snow/ice.

Yep - indeedy. That had M25 & M4 as the only ones when I looked this
morning. Shortly after neighbour returned home a few minutes after
leaving because of problems. (It had the usual road works, etc. just no
weather problems.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Wycombe area here!

One of the quietest days I have ever known here. A mere handful of
vehicles on a road that frequently has lots. Think schools are closed -
children seen going off tobogganing. The problem roads are likely to be
the hills.

Must have been fun at the M40 junction.

Here in Berks 20 miles south of you we were promised lots, so I worked
from home all day (never seen so many emails flying about).

Guess what: We had 10cm this morning when we got up, it's melted a
little, and no more has fallen. Could have got in easily (once the 9
o'clock crawl was past)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andy Champ wrote:
Rod wrote:
Wycombe area here!

One of the quietest days I have ever known here. A mere handful of
vehicles on a road that frequently has lots. Think schools are closed
- children seen going off tobogganing. The problem roads are likely to
be the hills.

Must have been fun at the M40 junction.

Here in Berks 20 miles south of you we were promised lots, so I worked
from home all day (never seen so many emails flying about).

Guess what: We had 10cm this morning when we got up, it's melted a
little, and no more has fallen. Could have got in easily (once the 9
o'clock crawl was past)

Andy

I did drive into town around 15:30. One patch of downhill was
surprisingly bad - very slippery. Decided to drive back on a different road.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message

I did drive into town around 15:30. One patch of downhill was surprisingly
bad - very slippery. Decided to drive back on a different road.

I was following six cars along a road, they got to about 50m from an island
and suddenly they went every where.
Two hit the gutter on the right hand side three went into the left hand
gutter and one hit the island.
None actually hit any other AFAICS.
Good job I had left four times the normal distance between me and them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 20:59:30 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

"Rod" wrote in message

I did drive into town around 15:30. One patch of downhill was surprisingly
bad - very slippery. Decided to drive back on a different road.

I was following six cars along a road, they got to about 50m from an island
and suddenly they went every where.
Two hit the gutter on the right hand side three went into the left hand
gutter and one hit the island.
None actually hit any other AFAICS.
Good job I had left four times the normal distance between me and them.

Best thing to do - keep well clear. I used to drive rear-wheel drive cars
and they're good for slowing on the engine - sort of hang it on its back
wheels - and the brakes hardly ever used.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Not a light dusting here in Balham (South London for those who've never
heard of Peter Sellers) - it's near enough a foot thick on the common.
Last time it was this heavy was in the late '80s. The dog loves it,
though. I should have been working but they've postponed the shoot. Still
get paid, though. Yummy.

--
*Save the whale - I'll have it for my supper*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Not a light dusting here in Balham (South London for those who've
never heard of Peter Sellers)

Balham - gateway to the south...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 18:09:27 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Not a light dusting here in Balham (South London for those who've
never heard of Peter Sellers)

Balham - gateway to the south...

Pronounced BAL-ham - of course! I have that somewhere on 7 inch vinyl...

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 11:28:19 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Not a light dusting here in Balham (South London for those who've never
heard of Peter Sellers) - it's near enough a foot thick on the common.
Last time it was this heavy was in the late '80s. The dog loves it,
though. I should have been working but they've postponed the shoot. Still
get paid, though. Yummy.

Don't you mean Tony Hancock (Balham, gateway to the South)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 01:26:30 UTC, Maris wrote:

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 11:28:19 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Not a light dusting here in Balham (South London for those who've never
heard of Peter Sellers) - it's near enough a foot thick on the common.
Last time it was this heavy was in the late '80s. The dog loves it,
though. I should have been working but they've postponed the shoot. Still
get paid, though. Yummy.

Don't you mean Tony Hancock (Balham, gateway to the South)?

No, Sellers...

http://tinyurl.com/balham
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 179409 20090202 112819 "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Not a light dusting here in Balham (South London for those who've never
heard of Peter Sellers)

No, no! Balham is the *gateway* to the south ... ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Martin wrote:
Not a light dusting here in Balham (South London for those who've never
heard of Peter Sellers)

No, no! Balham is the *gateway* to the south ... ;-)

Oh indeed. But since it's already in South London - and by quite a margin
- that south I presume refers to the south of England.

A borough which was the gateway to south London would need a river border.

--
*I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if you ask
me.

Sat with my wife whilst she had her first driving-in-snow experience
this morning. She was a bit nervous at first just like you southern
wussies but a lot more confident now.

(from north of Wotfud)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

We need the contingency of movable public holidays for such weather
conditions. If everyone was paid to stay at home in bad weather, it
wouldn't be a bad thing. Save the expense suffered at present.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Adrian C wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

We need the contingency of movable public holidays for such weather
conditions. If everyone was paid to stay at home in bad weather, it
wouldn't be a bad thing. Save the expense suffered at present.

Unfortunately, the fewer who use the roads, the less the vehicles clear
them. So the day after will be even worse. But I do like the basic idea.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if you
ask me.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

**** off. That way the French will never suffer.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

ARWadsworth wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if you
ask me.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

**** off. That way the French will never suffer.

Adam

Ah! but their Alpine skiing resorts would. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a
complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if
you ask me.

Aha. Latest info is that its moving North. Quite right too. Thats where
bad weather belongs

I was beginning to worry we might run out of Perrier Water & Monge Tout.
Rumours abound that Chardoney & Aloe Vera wipes are already in short supply.

Tsk.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk