Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen cupboard hinges

One of ours - the upper hinge on the door beneath the sink, where the
kitchen bin lives - persistently slips, and tightening has become almost
part of the daily routine. This is the back screw on the hinge adjuster
(the left of the two visible in the pictures below), which is supposed to
keep things in place, once the alignment of the door has been adjusted. It
seems that SWMBO's operation of the door in question is more vigorous than
mine as, when she's in the kitchen, the hinge slips in no time, and she's
complaining about the door drooping when it's opened.
Suggestions that she might be leaning her weight downwards on the door are
not well received, but it doesn't happen with such certainty when only I am
in the house. ;-)
I've tried tightening the keep-screw (dunno what to call it, it's the one
on the left) before screwing in the adjustment screw [1], but it makes no
difference. FWIW, the mount plate, screwed into the sidewall of the
cupboard carcass, is firmly located.
Would something like Loctite be an effective solution to this problem?

Correctly positioned:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2/DSC01650.jpg

Slipped: http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2/DSC01651.jpg
(difference is small, but discernable).

[1] Yes, I know both screws are used to adjust the alignment of the door,
but it's easier to describe thus.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appelation Controlee gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Suggestions that she might be leaning her weight downwards on
the door are not well received

Wouldn't it be a shame if that part of the door developed splinters?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appelation Controlee wrote:
[...]

If the screw is not holding due a stripped thread then loctite wont help.
It looks to me like a poor design. The screw which allow the back to
front movement to be adjusted should be more central on the back plate.
so there is less stress on the screw.
Another thing that kills thes hinges is allowing them to self close. The
shock on closure wears pivot pins and loosens screws in the chipboard. A
little oil from time to time prolongs life too.

Do you have another door which gets much less use? if so swap the
hinge and/or back plate over. Oh yes finally, retrain the family too!!

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Appelation Controlee wrote:
One of ours - the upper hinge on the door beneath the sink, where the
kitchen bin lives - persistently slips, and tightening has become almost
part of the daily routine. This is the back screw on the hinge adjuster
(the left of the two visible in the pictures below), which is supposed to
keep things in place, once the alignment of the door has been adjusted. It
seems that SWMBO's operation of the door in question is more vigorous than
mine as, when she's in the kitchen, the hinge slips in no time, and she's
complaining about the door drooping when it's opened.
Suggestions that she might be leaning her weight downwards on the door are
not well received, but it doesn't happen with such certainty when only I am
in the house. ;-)

I would suggest you replace the hinge. Quite a few use the same screw
and hinge hole positions. Have a look at the Blum Clip
hinges. (Can't offhand remember exact positions, and there is a slight
difference depending on carcase thickness. All details in the PDF linked
below.) Even if the position is different, it isn't that hard to fill
existing and make new ones in more or less the same position. (I use a
Blum template - available at places that supply hinges for a few pounds.)

http://www.blum.com/pdf/BUS/1046_hinge_b/1046_hinges_b.pdf

Obtainable in many places - and specifically my local supplier, Isaac Lord.

http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/categoryOverview.aspx?subCat=366&parentCat=5/366

The Blum Clip hinges are a dream to adjust - at fitting time or later.
And the door can simply be unclipped from the cupboard at any time.

Make sure you get the appropriate form of screw fitting - they are
available for system screws (like you have) and for ordinary woodscrews.

If you do this, I *highly* recommend the Blumotion soft close devices
that simply clip to the Clip hinges. Far, far better than the ones that
fit on the opening side. With a heavy door and bin, might be best to fit
two.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I assume the bin isn't attached to the back of the door? If so, remove it.
Bins, racks etc put too much stress on hinges.

With some hinges (if the screw is long enough) its possible to use a plain
steel washer, which gives a bit more surface area to grip.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
[...]

That adjustment screw seems to be a long way out. Is it tight? Does the
other hinge have the same amount of thread showing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:28:25 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

No, the bin simply stands inside the cupboard.
The thread onb the screw is fine, but I'll try your sufgestion re. a
washer. Thanks. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jan 2009 12:28:19 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Appelation Controlee gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Suggestions that she might be leaning her weight downwards on
the door are not well received

Wouldn't it be a shame if that part of the door developed splinters?

And, in case that might have been mis-read that my wife is heavy, she
surely ain't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:05:02 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

-------------------8
That adjustment screw seems to be a long way out. Is it tight? Does the
other hinge have the same amount of thread showing?

Yes, the screw is tight, and the other hinge is more-or-less similarly
adjusted. The carcasses are old (I supect 30-ish years), and there is the
odd bit of departure from trueness. I fitted the white doors (B&Q) as a
part of a budget makeover job a few years ago, and the hinge sets are those
that came with the doors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:22:36 +0000, Rod wrote:

[...]

Nice looking stuff, which I will follow up. Thanks. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jan, 12:25, Appelation Controlee wrote:
[...]

The covering plate (attached to the door) looks rather separated from
the back plate (attached to the side wall of the cupboard) In the
couple of types I use the outer plate partly covers the inner plate.
Are you sure they're alligned and seated together correctly? If not
then the back screw isn't making enough contact/pressure and will
slip.

Toom
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 08:51:35 -0800 (PST), Toom Tabard wrote:

-------------------8
The covering plate (attached to the door) looks rather separated from
the back plate (attached to the side wall of the cupboard) In the
couple of types I use the outer plate partly covers the inner plate.
Are you sure they're alligned and seated together correctly? If not
then the back screw isn't making enough contact/pressure and will
slip.

The second picture is after the slip has occurred, so there's no longer any
tension on the covering plate (from the right-hand screw).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jan, 17:03, Appelation Controlee wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 08:51:35 -0800 (PST), Toom Tabard wrote:

-------------------8

The covering plate (attached to the door) looks rather separated from
the back plate (attached to the side wall of the cupboard) In the
couple of types I use the outer plate partly covers the inner plate.
Are you sure they're alligned and seated together correctly? If not
then the back screw isn't making enough contact/pressure and will
slip.

The second picture is after the slip has occurred, so there's no longer any
tension on the covering plate (from the right-hand screw).

Yes, however I am talking about the first picture. The outer plate
covers over the edges of the inner plate on the two types I've got in
my house.

Toom
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:03:18 +0000, Appelation Controlee wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 08:51:35 -0800 (PST), Toom Tabard wrote:

-------------------8
The covering plate (attached to the door) looks rather separated from
the back plate (attached to the side wall of the cupboard) In the
couple of types I use the outer plate partly covers the inner plate.
Are you sure they're alligned and seated together correctly? If not
then the back screw isn't making enough contact/pressure and will slip.

The second picture is after the slip has occurred, so there's no longer
any tension on the covering plate (from the right-hand screw).

On the hinges I've used the grubscrew at the front adjusts for left-to-
rightness of the door when closed, and the one at the back locks it into
place and adjust front to back. You half undo that one to let the door
slide forward and off.

Is it that screw which comes loose? On ours I just tried leaning on the
door and the cabinet started making ominous creakings with no sign of the
hinges pulling away at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PCPaul" wrote in message
[...]

You have been the victim of "woman's misuse of cupboard doors - take care -
she will also close drawers from one side causing the runners to wear. Does
she claim to be just resting her hand on the door whilst putting things in
the bin? Did the designer take this misuse into account when doing stress
calculations on the hinge design or did he naively believe the hinge only
had to take the weight of the door?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 09:54:16 -0800 (PST), Toom Tabard wrote:

On 30 Jan, 17:03, Appelation Controlee wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 08:51:35 -0800 (PST), Toom Tabard wrote:

-------------------8

The covering plate (attached to the door) looks rather separated from
the back plate (attached to the side wall of the cupboard) In the
couple of types I use the outer plate partly covers the inner plate.
Are you sure they're alligned and seated together correctly? If not
then the back screw isn't making enough contact/pressure and will
slip.

The second picture is after the slip has occurred, so there's no longer any
tension on the covering plate (from the right-hand screw).

Yes, however I am talking about the first picture. The outer plate
covers over the edges of the inner plate on the two types I've got in
my house.

Yes but the screw on the right adjusts the door in its lateral position
across the cupboard front. If it's screwed some way in, the covering plate
will be lifted away from the inner plate, won't it? Or am I
misunderstanding you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appelation Controlee wrote:

Correctly positioned:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2/DSC01650.jpg

I'm not sure it is. Does the plate attached to the carcass have a slot?
Does the hidden end of the adjusting screw have a grove machined in it?

If so, the groove has to locate in the slot so the screw can push and pull
IYSWIM. Sometimes easier to remove the hinge plate, assemble the hinge & re
fix the plate.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:44:33 +0000, Appelation Controlee wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 09:54:16 -0800 (PST), Toom Tabard wrote:

Yes, however I am talking about the first picture. The outer plate
covers over the edges of the inner plate on the two types I've got in
my house.

Yes but the screw on the right adjusts the door in its lateral position
across the cupboard front. If it's screwed some way in, the covering
plate will be lifted away from the inner plate, won't it? Or am I
misunderstanding you?

You're correct, the front screw will cause the plate to be lifted towards
the front, the back screw has to be tightened up to lock the hinge in
place after the front screw has been adjusted correctly.

If you tweak the front screw afterwards, then it will loosen the whole
thing.

The side plates usually extend over the sides of the hinge enough that
there isn't really a gap unless you have the front screw almost fully
screwed in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:57:37 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Appelation Controlee wrote:

Correctly positioned:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2/DSC01650.jpg

I'm not sure it is. Does the plate attached to the carcass have a slot?
Does the hidden end of the adjusting screw have a grove machined in it?

If so, the groove has to locate in the slot so the screw can push and pull
IYSWIM. Sometimes easier to remove the hinge plate, assemble the hinge & re
fix the plate.

ding This is what Paul was getting at, but I didn't follow his
explanation.
Anyway, no, it is located correctly in its slot. Meanwhile, I've found the
box with the hinges I didn't use, and never got around to returning, so
I've substituted a new on, and we'll see how it goes.
Thanks to all for the contributions - if I don't revive the topic within a
month, etc., ... :-)

Cupboard Hinges John UK diy 3 March 13th 08 12:57 PM
Kitchen cupboard Slick UK diy 7 June 5th 06 09:34 PM
Them kitchen cupboard.. The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 2 February 18th 06 11:25 PM
Kitchen cupboard and tiling... Peter UK diy 4 July 27th 05 03:42 PM
Washing machine - cupboard door hinges John Hearns UK diy 1 September 5th 03 04:22 PM