Posted to uk.d-i-y
Slick

Default Kitchen cupboard

Hi

I have a kitchen wall unit that when the door is opened it swings back say
100 degrees and hits the extractor fan above the cooker. Eventually this is
gonna create a dimple and wear off the laminate on the door. (Not as easy as
changing the hinges to the other side either!!!)

Is their any kind of fixing or strap that i can get to stop the door
swinging back so far?

cheers
SlicK

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Slick wrote:
Hi

I have a kitchen wall unit that when the door is opened it swings back say
100 degrees and hits the extractor fan above the cooker. Eventually this is
gonna create a dimple and wear off the laminate on the door. (Not as easy as
changing the hinges to the other side either!!!)

Is their any kind of fixing or strap that i can get to stop the door
swinging back so far?

cheers
SlicK

You could glue one of those soft close dampers to the extractor. Quite
small and unobtrusive. B&Q do them as an extra for their kitchens but I
don't know if they're available instore.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Slick wrote:

Hi

I have a kitchen wall unit that when the door is opened it swings back say
100 degrees and hits the extractor fan above the cooker. Eventually this is
gonna create a dimple and wear off the laminate on the door. (Not as easy as
changing the hinges to the other side either!!!)

Is their any kind of fixing or strap that i can get to stop the door
swinging back so far?

cheers
SlicK

You could use a cloth strap, or better some nylon fishing line, I dont
know if there are hinges that will restrict opening to exactly 90 degs.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Stuart Noble contains these words:

You could glue one of those soft close dampers to the extractor. Quite
small and unobtrusive. B&Q do them as an extra for their kitchens but I
don't know if they're available instore.

They are - I bought a pack of five for £6 the other day. Bliss - the
kids don't slam the cupboard doors any more. Well, they do but the
dampers work.

You can get limited opening hinges.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Slick" wrote in message
Hi

I have a kitchen wall unit that when the door is opened it swings back say
100 degrees and hits the extractor fan above the cooker. Eventually this
is gonna create a dimple and wear off the laminate on the door. (Not as
easy as changing the hinges to the other side either!!!)

Is their any kind of fixing or strap that i can get to stop the door
swinging back so far?

Remove the doors. Everything will be more accessible.

I hate swinging doors at head height, I've banged into them in other
people's kitchens too often. They're not used in professional kitchens.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Slick" wrote in message
Hi

I have a kitchen wall unit that when the door is opened it swings back

say
100 degrees and hits the extractor fan above the cooker. Eventually this
is gonna create a dimple and wear off the laminate on the door. (Not as
easy as changing the hinges to the other side either!!!)

Is their any kind of fixing or strap that i can get to stop the door
swinging back so far?

Remove the doors. Everything will be more accessible.

I hate swinging doors at head height, I've banged into them in other
people's kitchens too often. They're not used in professional kitchens.

Mary

===========================
Professional kitchens are designed to be workplaces. Judging by some of the
kitchen displays I've seen recently modern domestic kitchens are designed to
be a cross between a church and a library.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Cicero" wrote in message
.uk...

Professional kitchens are designed to be workplaces. Judging by some of
the
kitchen displays I've seen recently modern domestic kitchens are designed
be a cross between a church and a library.

They certainly seem to be more about 'design - hey!' than a workplace.

My kitchen is a workplace. Much like Spouse's workshop. He doesn't have
doors on his shelving!

Mary