Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Travis Perkins & Toolstation

Did anyone know that TP owned 30% of Toolstation?

http://www.travisperkinsplc.com/abou...Businesses.asp

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 21:07:09 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Did anyone know that TP owned 30% of Toolstation?

http://www.travisperkinsplc.com/abou...Businesses.asp

Didn't know it was only 30% - the folks at TS said it "was owned" by T-P

--
John Stumbles

Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jan 2009 21:51:46 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 21:07:09 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Did anyone know that TP owned 30% of Toolstation?

http://www.travisperkinsplc.com/abou...Businesses.asp

Didn't know it was only 30% - the folks at TS said it "was owned" by T-P

They also own Wickes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Did anyone know that TP owned 30% of Toolstation?

http://www.travisperkinsplc.com/abou...Businesses.asp

No, and I didn't know that they owned Wickes either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Did anyone know that TP owned 30% of Toolstation?

http://www.travisperkinsplc.com/abou...Businesses.asp

No, and I didn't know that they owned Wickes either.

It is a common business model to own or control a slice though a
complete market segment
eg kingfisher own/have interest in

B&Q, Trade depot, Screwfix (trade counters and mail order) and castorama
in France.

One product sector but addressing most of the customer types and selling
methods. They flog the same stuff through several outlets at different
prices that the customers will stand.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Bruce wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Did anyone know that TP owned 30% of Toolstation?

http://www.travisperkinsplc.com/abou...Businesses.asp

No, and I didn't know that they owned Wickes either.

It is a common business model to own or control a slice though a
complete market segment
eg kingfisher own/have interest in

B&Q, Trade depot, Screwfix (trade counters and mail order) and castorama
in France.

One product sector but addressing most of the customer types and selling
methods. They flog the same stuff through several outlets at different
prices that the customers will stand.

I know all that. Bob. I just didn't realise that Travis Perkins owned
Wickes, that's all.

I wasn't questioning the business model - it's the same one via which
KwikFit is owned by Ford, and very common elsewhere in commerce.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bruce wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Did anyone know that TP owned 30% of Toolstation?

http://www.travisperkinsplc.com/abou...Businesses.asp

No, and I didn't know that they owned Wickes either.

IIRC, bought from that other totally-lost-the-plot-and-unfocussed
company - Focus. Last time I was in there it looked like they had almost
stopped doing kitchen units but were ready to pile up cheap, garbage
furniture. Never find the product, the staff, a manned till, anything.
And recently out local one has been marooned by roadworks - if it were
to close before this post is posted, I wouldn't be at all surprised. But
I am actually glad that Wickes is separate - I would not like to lose them.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Bruce wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Did anyone know that TP owned 30% of Toolstation?

http://www.travisperkinsplc.com/abou...Businesses.asp

No, and I didn't know that they owned Wickes either.

IIRC, bought from that other totally-lost-the-plot-and-unfocussed
company - Focus. Last time I was in there it looked like they had almost
stopped doing kitchen units but were ready to pile up cheap, garbage
furniture. Never find the product, the staff, a manned till, anything.
And recently out local one has been marooned by roadworks - if it were
to close before this post is posted, I wouldn't be at all surprised. But
I am actually glad that Wickes is separate - I would not like to lose them.

Agreed. Focus lost their, er, focus some time back. Very occasionally
they had some spectacular bargains, probably because someone had made a
mistake with the price, but mostly mediocre quality at mediocre prices.

Wickes works well. Their sheds are basic but you know what they sell
and their prices are generally competitive. They had a bad setback a
few years ago when (if I recall correctly) the management had been
over-inflating the sales figures and profits to earn greater bonuses.
perhaps that was when they were bought out by Focus? Had Focus already
bought Do It All from WHSmith/Boots at that point?

Travis Perkins should offer a safer pair of hands.

None of this really matters, as long as we know who to avoid - B&Q and
Focus are at the bottom of my lists for buying DIY materials and tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
Rod wrote:

Bruce wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

[...]

Homobase are worse, thieving gits.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Bruce wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Did anyone know that TP owned 30% of Toolstation?

http://www.travisperkinsplc.com/abou...Businesses.asp

No, and I didn't know that they owned Wickes either.

It is a common business model to own or control a slice though a
complete market segment
eg kingfisher own/have interest in

B&Q, Trade depot, Screwfix (trade counters and mail order) and
castorama in France.

One product sector but addressing most of the customer types and
selling methods. They flog the same stuff through several outlets at
different prices that the customers will stand.

I know all that. Bob. I just didn't realise that Travis Perkins owned
Wickes, that's all.

I wasn't questioning the business model - it's the same one via which
KwikFit is owned by Ford, and very common elsewhere in commerce.

I've not Googled but think that Tom Farmer bought the business back from
Ford.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Rod wrote:

Bruce wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

[...]

I wish that you could be more explicit and frank with your comments.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Rod wrote:

Bruce wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

[...]

Sorry, just my shy reserved nature...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clot" wrote:

I've not Googled but think that Tom Farmer bought the business back from
Ford.

Well, you're right in that Ford no longer owns Kwik-Fit, but I cannot
find any reference to Tom Farmer still being involved.

Ford bought Kwik-Fit from Tom Farmer for £1 billion in 1999.

Ford sold Kwik-Fit to CVC Capital Partners in 2002 for £330 million.

CVC Capital Partners sold Kwik-Fit to Speedy 1 Ltd, a company controlled
by PAI Partners, for £800 million in 2005.

Quite a roller coaster ride! £1,000 million, down to £330 million, up
to £800 million ...

CVC Capital Partners also owned Halfords, buying from Boots in 2002.
They floated it on the stock market in 2004, while (I think) still
retaining a stake.

CVC Capital Partners also own Debenhams, Samsonite (luggage), the
Belgian and Danish postal services, the AA (since 2004, with Permira),
and Saga.

travis perkins patio doors [email protected] UK diy 1 July 14th 07 09:03 PM
Travis & Perkins timber Arthur2 UK diy 7 July 14th 07 07:57 PM
Travis Perkins delivery. Ian Stirling UK diy 24 October 22nd 06 08:17 AM
B+Q Prices V Travis Perkins Stuart UK diy 12 May 9th 06 08:36 AM
Travis Perkins Trademate Furby UK diy 6 March 31st 05 05:26 PM