Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Travis Perkins delivery.

I signed up for a cash card, 'trade cash' from Travis Perkins, to get
some basic costings for stuff (for example, is 1m^2 of concrete blocks
cheaper or more expensive than 1m^2 of bricks)...

I note that on one part of the help, it mentions delivery.
Is this only for credit account holders?
As I'd like some full sheets of stuff, this would be handy, as I only
have a Nissan Micra.
Any thoughts?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:
I signed up for a cash card, 'trade cash' from Travis Perkins, to get
some basic costings for stuff (for example, is 1m^2 of concrete blocks
cheaper or more expensive than 1m^2 of bricks)...

I note that on one part of the help, it mentions delivery.
Is this only for credit account holders?
As I'd like some full sheets of stuff, this would be handy, as I only
have a Nissan Micra.
Any thoughts?

Yes, don't use Travis Perkins for anything, all builders merchants will
deliver and all are cheaper than TP's....they lull you into having an
account by special offers on your first order, after that they are often
double the price of everywhre else

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Ian Stirling wrote:
I signed up for a cash card, 'trade cash' from Travis Perkins, to get
some basic costings for stuff (for example, is 1m^2 of concrete blocks
cheaper or more expensive than 1m^2 of bricks)...

I note that on one part of the help, it mentions delivery.
Is this only for credit account holders?

no

As I'd like some full sheets of stuff, this would be handy, as I only
have a Nissan Micra.
Any thoughts?

use TP for what you can't get in the car ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Phil L wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
I signed up for a cash card, 'trade cash' from Travis Perkins, to get
some basic costings for stuff (for example, is 1m^2 of concrete blocks
cheaper or more expensive than 1m^2 of bricks)...

I note that on one part of the help, it mentions delivery.
Is this only for credit account holders?
As I'd like some full sheets of stuff, this would be handy, as I only
have a Nissan Micra.
Any thoughts?

Yes, don't use Travis Perkins for anything, all builders merchants will
deliver and all are cheaper than TP's....they lull you into having an
account by special offers on your first order, after that they are often
double the price of everywhre else

********. I use 5 merchants regularly, TP are what they are, use them for
what you want and use the others for what they do best/cheapest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
I signed up for a cash card, 'trade cash' from Travis Perkins, to
get some basic costings for stuff (for example, is 1m^2 of concrete
blocks cheaper or more expensive than 1m^2 of bricks)...

I note that on one part of the help, it mentions delivery.
Is this only for credit account holders?
As I'd like some full sheets of stuff, this would be handy, as I
only have a Nissan Micra.
Any thoughts?

Yes, don't use Travis Perkins for anything, all builders merchants
will deliver and all are cheaper than TP's....they lull you into
having an account by special offers on your first order, after that
they are often double the price of everywhre else

********. I use 5 merchants regularly, TP are what they are, use them
for what you want and use the others for what they do best/cheapest.

TP's cement is a fiver a bag plus vat - this is almost double what it costs
at B&Q.
Their bagged aggregates are 3 quid plus VAT, again double B&Q's.

If you genuinely use 5 different BM's, you *must* know that TP's ar the
dearest out of them all? - if not, you are frequenting the wrong places.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Phil L wrote:
. wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
[...]

so, you've figured that out ?

If you genuinely use 5 different BM's, you *must* know that TP's ar the
dearest out of them all? - if not, you are frequenting the wrong places.

for some things, not for others. then there's the convenience and the fact
that I know the bloke on the sales counter, the bloke that chops the wood
up and the manager.

I frequent all the right places.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:31:14 GMT, "Phil L" wrote:

. wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
[...]

And check the price of Aquapanle at both TP and B+Q .You'll be shocked at the
difference .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
Phil L wrote:
. wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
[...]

Not just that, their plastic underground drains are well over double the
price of the next dearest and almost triple the cheapest, their bricks,
plaster, plasterboard and timber don't fare too well neither, other than
that it's cheap as chips.

If you genuinely use 5 different BM's, you *must* know that TP's ar
the dearest out of them all? - if not, you are frequenting the wrong
places.

for some things, not for others. then there's the convenience and the
fact that I know the bloke on the sales counter, the bloke that chops
the wood up and the manager.

I frequent all the right places.

So your reply to the OP should have been 'Travis Perkins are alright,
provided you are bezzy mates with all those who work there'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "." contains these words:

********. I use 5 merchants regularly, TP are what they are, use them for
what you want and use the others for what they do best/cheapest.

That's true of most shopping, innit. I do get fed up with people tarring
whole stores with one brush. Shop around, get the deals where you can
and don't write any particular supplier off.

Except British Gas and Netto, of course (insert smiley here).

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
. wrote:
Phil L wrote:
. wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
[...]

I got some 8x4 plasterboards from them for about 3 quid each, I thought that
was cheap.
And they are the only place near me who will do 4x3 in 20 foot lengths.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Stuart
writes

. wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
[...]

Go on tell us then, save us a trip...

Stuart

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
. wrote:
Phil L wrote:
. wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
[...]

Travis Perkins can be the cheapest or close to for lots of things, but
you do have to either haggle for every purchase, or speak in advance to
the area rep and get decent prices on the things you buy regularly.
Never take the initial price you are offered - it's definitely going to
be too high. They will nearly always do me a better price on an order
than any of the other merchants, but only if I ask for it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:

for some things, not for others. then there's the convenience and the fact

So what are they competitive on then?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

John Rumm wrote:
. wrote:

for some things, not for others. then there's the convenience and the fact

So what are they competitive on then?

your mum

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
. wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
[...]

We pay under £3 inc vat at TP for cement - their pricing structure is
designed to be discounted, B+Q's isn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
On 21 Oct 2006 04:15:17 -0700, wrote:

Phil L wrote:
. wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
[...]

Yes but who get's the discount . No-one want to go to an outlet not knowing if
the price displayed is what they are expected to pay or if they will get a
reduction if they ask or if their face fits .

True, but round here all builders' merchants work like that, and I
haggle wherever. B+Q don't and are cheap for some things, but where
they think they can get away with it they are stupidly expensive, so I
don't think there's anywhere where you can assume you're getting a
decent price without checking around

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
TP's cement is a fiver a bag plus vat - this is almost double what it
costs at B&Q.
Their bagged aggregates are 3 quid plus VAT, again double B&Q's...

That sounds like list prices. I didn't think anyone paid list at TP.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I signed up for a cash card, 'trade cash' from Travis Perkins, to get
some basic costings for stuff (for example, is 1m^2 of concrete blocks
cheaper or more expensive than 1m^2 of bricks)...

I note that on one part of the help, it mentions delivery.
Is this only for credit account holders?

It is available to all customers.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:45:16 +0100, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my
surname here.uk.com wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I signed up for a cash card, 'trade cash' from Travis Perkins, to get
some basic costings for stuff (for example, is 1m^2 of concrete blocks
cheaper or more expensive than 1m^2 of bricks)...

I note that on one part of the help, it mentions delivery.
Is this only for credit account holders?

It is available to all customers.

Colin Bignell

Have just started to use TP and with discount were cheaper tham the
alternatives, free next day delivery .

As had been said it depends ( everywhere) on the discount level you
can negotiate and this gets recorded with your account details.

EG PVA was listed as £40 - I got 75% discount .

Robert
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 17:10:43 GMT, "Phil L"

surname here.uk.com wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I signed up for a cash card, 'trade cash' from Travis Perkins, to
get some basic costings for stuff (for example, is 1m^2 of concrete
blocks cheaper or more expensive than 1m^2 of bricks)...

I note that on one part of the help, it mentions delivery.
Is this only for credit account holders?

It is available to all customers.

Colin Bignell

Have just started to use TP and with discount were cheaper tham the
alternatives, free next day delivery .

As had been said it depends ( everywhere) on the discount level you
can negotiate and this gets recorded with your account details.

EG PVA was listed as £40 - I got 75% discount .

So you paid a tenner for something that is £7 elsewhere.

Bargain?

Not bad with FREE delivery within 12 hours.

FWIW, it's the oldest trick in the book, advertise something for an
extrortionate amount, as TP's do with everything, then discount a huge
amount off, selling it for only a few quid dearer than everywhere else, it
makes the customer feel he's got a bargain, and those who don't get the
discount are ripped off unmmercilessly.

I agree but you have to factor in the time locating the cheapest in
stock sources and the cost of delivery.

Also on an ongoing renovation job being able to get timber and
supplies as you require them saves alot of personal time , cost of
labour and no need for storage facilities.

Moral is to check prices from a range of suppliers and decide on the
value of convenience and quick delivery for each order.

Robert

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

for some things, not for others. then there's the convenience and the fact

So what are they competitive on then?

your mum

Yours too cheap for them then?

--
Cheers,

John.

someone in the US to be my delivery address (expenses and trouble paid)?? ellegante Metalworking 24 May 28th 06 08:26 PM
B+Q Prices V Travis Perkins Stuart UK diy 12 May 9th 06 09:36 AM
Oil Delivery Ripoff? 444 Home Ownership 6 January 12th 06 10:33 PM
Travis Perkins Trademate Furby UK diy 6 March 31st 05 06:26 PM
Screw Fix delivery times Maximus Glutimus UK diy 27 September 2nd 03 11:36 PM