Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Close-coupling radiators

Hi,

I've been searching in vain for a largish towel rail/radiator designed
in such a way that three towels (there are three of us in the house) can
all hang over it and all have some hope of drying out. Since I can't
find such a thing, I've come up with the idea of instead fitting three
identical bog standard smallish towel radiators next to each other along
the wall. The new layout puts all the fixtures (basin, toilet, etc)
along one wall for easy plumbing, so the other wall was looking quite
empty and will have plenty of room for this.

My intention was to plumb the rads in series, with valves only at the
ends, treating them in effect as one big rad. Between them, I had in
mind flexible chromed-mesh-sheathed tails like the ones sometimes used
to connect taps, assuming one can get ones that a) are suitable for CH
temperatures b) don't dissolve in CH inhibitor and c) have or can be
adapted to the threads commonly used on radiators. Chrome-finished solid
fittings would probably look better, though, if such things are available.

Anyone see any problems with this, or have any better ideas?

The towel radiators I'm looking at each have about a third the power
output of the currently-fitted conventional radiator. The room is mostly
OK, occasionally a little nippy but I'll be fitting some light electric
underfloor heating (mostly to help evaporate dampness from the floor) so
I'm happy with the thermal side of the design.

Cheers,

Pete