Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating a swimming pool

Obviously popping some polystyrene board down the side of a pool as its
being back filled takes care of the sides, but is there any thing strong
enough to stand the weight of a pool 7 foot deep? I.e., is there a product
that i can install in the hole that i can build the pool on?

any suggestions?

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
news
Obviously popping some polystyrene board down the side of a pool as its
being back filled takes care of the sides, but is there any thing strong
enough to stand the weight of a pool 7 foot deep? I.e., is there a
product that i can install in the hole that i can build the pool on?

any suggestions?

Steve

Few layers of Kingspan?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MikeS" wrote in message
om...

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
news
Obviously popping some polystyrene board down the side of a pool as its
being back filled takes care of the sides, but is there any thing strong
enough to stand the weight of a pool 7 foot deep? I.e., is there a
product that i can install in the hole that i can build the pool on?

any suggestions?

Steve

Few layers of Kingspan?

Risky question for DIY.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MikeS" wrote in message
om...

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
news
Obviously popping some polystyrene board down the side of a pool as its
being back filled takes care of the sides, but is there any thing strong
enough to stand the weight of a pool 7 foot deep? I.e., is there a
product that i can install in the hole that i can build the pool on?

any suggestions?

Steve

Few layers of Kingspan?

http://www.poolsandtubs.co.uk/supabloc_insulation.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MikeS" wrote in message
om...

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
news
Obviously popping some polystyrene board down the side of a pool as its
being back filled takes care of the sides, but is there any thing strong
enough to stand the weight of a pool 7 foot deep? I.e., is there a
product that i can install in the hole that i can build the pool on?

any suggestions?

Steve

Few layers of Kingspan?

Yes around the side i suppose. Underneath i don't know if it'd handle the
compression. Can anyone work out the compressive load of 2 meters of water?
i.e. using supabloc 7, could it cope with the weight?
http://www.tarmac.co.uk/TopBlock/DuroxSupabloc7.aspx

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote:

Yes around the side i suppose. Underneath i don't know if it'd handle
the compression. Can anyone work out the compressive load of 2 meters
of water? i.e. using supabloc 7, could it cope with the weight?
http://www.tarmac.co.uk/TopBlock/DuroxSupabloc7.aspx

Steve

Huh? That's easy. A cubic meter weighs near as dammit a tonne. (varies
with temperature, but not enough to matter) so you are getting 2 tonnes
per square metre, 20KPa or 1/5 of an atmosphere. 3 PSI even.

What? The blocks are in N/mm^2! that's a barsteward unit if ever I saw
one!

One Pascal is one Newton per square metre, so 7.3N/mm^2 is 7.3MPa.
Those blocks are easily strong enough.

Whether they'll still insulate when they've soaked up ground water for a
couple of years I have no idea.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
Mr Sandman wrote:

Yes around the side i suppose. Underneath i don't know if it'd handle
the compression. Can anyone work out the compressive load of 2 meters of
water? i.e. using supabloc 7, could it cope with the weight?
http://www.tarmac.co.uk/TopBlock/DuroxSupabloc7.aspx

Steve

Huh? That's easy. A cubic meter weighs near as dammit a tonne. (varies
with temperature, but not enough to matter) so you are getting 2 tonnes
per square metre, 20KPa or 1/5 of an atmosphere. 3 PSI even.

What? The blocks are in N/mm^2! that's a barsteward unit if ever I saw
one!

One Pascal is one Newton per square metre, so 7.3N/mm^2 is 7.3MPa. Those
blocks are easily strong enough.

Whether they'll still insulate when they've soaked up ground water for a
couple of years I have no idea.

Andy

Surely a bit dangerous to disregard the forces on the sides. Could lead to a
massive failure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote:
Obviously popping some polystyrene board down the side of a pool as
its being back filled takes care of the sides, but is there any thing
strong enough to stand the weight of a pool 7 foot deep? I.e., is
there a product that i can install in the hole that i can build the
pool on?

Isn't earth a reasonable insulator by itself?

Surely the biggest heat loss, and the one most difficult to insulate will be
the top surface?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Mr Sandman wrote:
Obviously popping some polystyrene board down the side of a pool as
its being back filled takes care of the sides, but is there any thing
strong enough to stand the weight of a pool 7 foot deep? I.e., is
there a product that i can install in the hole that i can build the
pool on?

Isn't earth a reasonable insulator by itself?

Not compared to PIR foam... 100mm under the floor slab and around the
edges would make a massive difference,

Surely the biggest heat loss, and the one most difficult to insulate will be
the top surface?

You can float a thermal cover on top when not in use. It will actually
add to the water temperature on a sunny day. It prevents evaporation
losses (water and more importantly heat) as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 01:59:22 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Mr Sandman wrote:
Obviously popping some polystyrene board down the side of a pool as
its being back filled takes care of the sides, but is there any thing
strong enough to stand the weight of a pool 7 foot deep? I.e., is
there a product that i can install in the hole that i can build the
pool on?

Isn't earth a reasonable insulator by itself?

Not compared to PIR foam... 100mm under the floor slab and around the
edges would make a massive difference,

Surely the biggest heat loss, and the one most difficult to insulate will be
the top surface?

You can float a thermal cover on top when not in use. It will actually
add to the water temperature on a sunny day. It prevents evaporation
losses (water and more importantly heat) as well.

Yeah, what he said. From memory, mine had a layer of some sort of plastic
foam, about 10-12mm thick across the floor and the sides were covered with
something like extra thick hessian wadding. I think both were put there
more for protection of the liner than insulation. The greatest heat loss is
at the surface, a solar blanket is an absolute must.

--
The Wanderer

Inertia keeps me going!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 23 Jan,
"Mr Sandman" wrote:

"MikeS" wrote in message
om...

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
news Obviously popping some polystyrene board down the side of a pool as
its
being back filled takes care of the sides, but is there any thing
strong
enough to stand the weight of a pool 7 foot deep? I.e., is there a
product that i can install in the hole that i can build the pool on?

any suggestions?

Steve

Few layers of Kingspan?

Yes around the side i suppose. Underneath i don't know if it'd handle
the
compression. Can anyone work out the compressive load of 2 meters of
water? i.e. using supabloc 7, could it cope with the weight?
http://www.tarmac.co.uk/TopBlock/DuroxSupabloc7.aspx

6 feet of water is equivalent of 0.019 kg/mm^2, well within the limits of
Supabloc7. Expanded Polystyrene or kingspan would be more than adequate
with 100mm of reinforced concrete slab above it.

The force against the sides at the bottom would be similar.

ta for this. So King span is strong enough? cool. Yes it is an out side
pool situated in France. I will be heating it by solar panels and my aim is
to make it useable for as much of the year as possible.

Ok, so i go with king span. Do i go with their thickest sheet or does it
matter much? Obviously i need the pool to be stable over a good few years,
so no movement in the floor is essential. Should i lay them directly on the
bottom of the hole i dig, or add a concrete slab under it as well as the
pool bottom slab over it?

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Mr Sandman wrote:
Obviously popping some polystyrene board down the side of a pool as
its being back filled takes care of the sides, but is there any thing
strong enough to stand the weight of a pool 7 foot deep? I.e., is
there a product that i can install in the hole that i can build the
pool on?

Isn't earth a reasonable insulator by itself?

Surely the biggest heat loss, and the one most difficult to insulate will be
the top surface?

My thoughts exactly.

The actual m,ass of water in a pool is VAST. it is its own heatbank.

The volume of soil between it and the air is also vast.

Complete waste of time to insulate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Mr Sandman" writes:

ta for this. So King span is strong enough? cool. Yes it is an out side
pool situated in France. I will be heating it by solar panels and my aim is
to make it useable for as much of the year as possible.

Ok, so i go with king span. Do i go with their thickest sheet or does it
matter much?

Going from nothing to 25mm generally makes a big difference.
Increasing the insulation above that makes much less difference.

By far the most important area to insulate is the top of the
pool, where the warmer water will tend towards, and heat loss
by evaporation and wind-chill is significant.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Surely a bit dangerous to disregard the forces on the sides. Could lead to a
massive failure.

The presence of the insulating blocks (or kingspan!) will have little
effect on the strength of the pool. You'll still need to handle a
lateral force of one tonne (ish) for every running metre of wall length.

I should add I'm not a pool designer, but I do know a _little_ _basic_
physics.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote:

wrote in message
On 23 Jan,
"Mr Sandman" wrote:

"MikeS" wrote in message
om...

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
[...]

i think the kingspan would get damp and not be much use

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Check out www.poolinsulation.com they have government grants to insulate old
and new swimming pools, we've just had our's done and got the insulation for
free, they are really helpful our pool heats up so much quicker.

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/1391141036.aspx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Nigel
saying something like:

Check out www.wanky-spam.com they have government grants to insulate old
and new swimming pools, we've just had our's done and got the insulation for
free, they are really helpful our pool heats up so much quicker.

Spam****er. **** off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 May 2009 06:02:25 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Check out www.wanky-spam.com they have government grants to insulate
old and new swimming pools, we've just had our's done and got the
insulation for free, they are really helpful our pool heats up so much
quicker.

Spam****er. **** off.

That's not a very nice thing to call our MP's.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice"
saying something like:

Spam****er. **** off.

That's not a very nice thing to call our MP's.

The oik doesn't even have a proper moat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 May 2009 01:05:52 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Spam****er. **** off.

That's not a very nice thing to call our MP's.

The oik doesn't even have a proper moat.

Or even a Duck House, what is the world coming to if one can't have a moat
and duck house?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 May 2009 19:35:14 +0100, Owain wrote:

Or even a Duck House, what is the world coming to if one can't have a
moat and duck house?

It's class envy. You don't hear complaints about pigeon lofts and
whippet kennels.

Has any of our illustrious MPs used any part of their allowances for
pigeon lofts or whippet kennels?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2009 19:35:14 +0100, Owain wrote:

Or even a Duck House, what is the world coming to if one can't have a
moat and duck house?

It's class envy. You don't hear complaints about pigeon lofts and
whippet kennels.

Has any of our illustrious MPs used any part of their allowances for
pigeon lofts or whippet kennels?

Of course not.

They cant wait to get away from their wurking clarrss roots and pretend
to be toffs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you really want to insulate your pool properly and receive a Government
grant too, visit the Thermapool website at www.poolinsulation.com
the research is eye opening and the product is guaranteed for 25yrs, you can
also calculate how much money can be saved by using a calculator which has
been approved by all relevant authorities

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/1391141036.aspx