John Keiser

Default Swimming pool plaster

New twist on old post.

My gunite pool has rough black plaster that's 25+ years old. I swim in it
and don't mind the roughness at all.

In the last few years, I've noted increased water loss. Sometimes several
inches overnight.

Checked the plumbing, light, skimmer. No leaks that I can find.

Is it likely/possible that the plaster has finally degraded enough that the
water is simply leeching through the gunite?

Is black plaster still available?

Thanks for comments..

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Tom or Barb

"John Keiser" wrote in message
New twist on old post.

My gunite pool has rough black plaster that's 25+ years old. I swim in it
and don't mind the roughness at all.

In the last few years, I've noted increased water loss. Sometimes several
inches overnight.

Checked the plumbing, light, skimmer. No leaks that I can find.

Is it likely/possible that the plaster has finally degraded enough that

the
water is simply leeching through the gunite?

Is black plaster still available?

Thanks for comments..

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

It is my understanding that the plaster is not waterproof...is basically

there to make the pool look better and to make a smoother surface for the
body to come in contact with. I would be suspicious that underground pipes
have perhaps cracked. Maybe tree roots or earthquake or settling. Or maybe
a crack in the gunite that you can't see because of the "black" plaster.

Richard J Kinch

John Keiser writes:

Checked the plumbing, light, skimmer. No leaks that I can find.

Checked how? The only sure diagnostic test is a drain-down that can take
months. See my page:

http://www.truetex.com/pool.htm

Desert Traveler

"roesli" wrote in message
Absolutely awesome!! Makes me think about doing my own gunite pool from
scratch....hmmm maybe not.

We are going to do one for the dogs. A small walk in pool. Formed with
wire, then shot with Gunite.

John Keiser writes:

Checked the plumbing, light, skimmer. No leaks that I can find.

Checked how? The only sure diagnostic test is a drain-down that can

take
months. See my page:

http://www.truetex.com/pool.htm

There is no telling where a leak could be. It could be underground where
you cannot see it. Call a pro and have it tested. It will save you $$ on
water, and if you do have a leak, will find it before you walk out and have
a REALLY big hole in your back yard.

Steve

Swimming pool plumbing ? JK UK diy 14 June 2nd 04 09:32 AM
DIY Swimming Pool with Pond Liner MC Home Repair 8 September 9th 03 12:03 AM
Swimming Pool Pump Tom Bahama Home Repair 11 September 6th 03 08:35 AM
swimming pool hoses blowing off Tim McKee Home Repair 4 July 3rd 03 09:19 PM
Indoor swimming pool BAQUACIL problems, please advise BruteGuy82 Home Repair 0 June 25th 03 03:47 AM