Posted to uk.d-i-y
george (dicegeorge) george (dicegeorge) is offline

Default Insulating a swimming pool

Mr Sandman wrote:

wrote in message
On 23 Jan,
"Mr Sandman" wrote:

"MikeS" wrote in message
om...

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
news Obviously popping some polystyrene board down the side of a pool
as its
being back filled takes care of the sides, but is there any thing
strong
enough to stand the weight of a pool 7 foot deep? I.e., is there a
product that i can install in the hole that i can build the pool on?

any suggestions?

Steve

Few layers of Kingspan?

Yes around the side i suppose. Underneath i don't know if it'd
handle the
compression. Can anyone work out the compressive load of 2 meters of
water? i.e. using supabloc 7, could it cope with the weight?
http://www.tarmac.co.uk/TopBlock/DuroxSupabloc7.aspx

6 feet of water is equivalent of 0.019 kg/mm^2, well within the limits of
Supabloc7. Expanded Polystyrene or kingspan would be more than adequate
with 100mm of reinforced concrete slab above it.

The force against the sides at the bottom would be similar.

ta for this. So King span is strong enough? cool. Yes it is an out
side pool situated in France. I will be heating it by solar panels and
my aim is to make it useable for as much of the year as possible.

Ok, so i go with king span. Do i go with their thickest sheet or does
it matter much? Obviously i need the pool to be stable over a good few
years, so no movement in the floor is essential. Should i lay them
directly on the bottom of the hole i dig, or add a concrete slab under
it as well as the pool bottom slab over it?

Steve

i think the kingspan would get damp and not be much use

[g]