Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to Remove Fence Panel Without Breaking?

I need to remove some fence panels that were erected on
earth without gravel boards by the previous owner of my
house.
I will install gravel boards and then re-use the panels.

The panels are nailed into the posts. Can anyone
recommend a method for removing the panels without
damaging them. I have tried running a loose hacksaw blade
down the sides of the panels but the panels are such a
tight fit that the blade jams and buckles. My jigsaw does
not have long enough blades and if it did they would
probably jam and buckle also.

cheers

Davy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . 145, Davy
writes
I need to remove some fence panels that were erected on
earth without gravel boards by the previous owner of my
house.
I will install gravel boards and then re-use the panels.

The panels are nailed into the posts. Can anyone
recommend a method for removing the panels without
damaging them. I have tried running a loose hacksaw blade
down the sides of the panels but the panels are such a
tight fit that the blade jams and buckles. My jigsaw does
not have long enough blades and if it did they would
probably jam and buckle also.

Can you not widen the gap, nail by nail, using a bolster or thin chisel?

You don't need much gap for a hack saw blade.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davy wrote:
I need to remove some fence panels that were erected on
earth without gravel boards by the previous owner of my
house.
I will install gravel boards and then re-use the panels.

The panels are nailed into the posts. Can anyone
recommend a method for removing the panels without
damaging them. I have tried running a loose hacksaw blade
down the sides of the panels but the panels are such a
tight fit that the blade jams and buckles. My jigsaw does
not have long enough blades and if it did they would
probably jam and buckle also.

cheers

Davy

Aren't the heads of the nails accessible?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote in
:

Davy wrote:
I need to remove some fence panels that were erected on
earth without gravel boards by the previous owner of my
house.
I will install gravel boards and then re-use the

panels.

The panels are nailed into the posts. Can anyone
recommend a method for removing the panels without
damaging them. I have tried running a loose hacksaw

blade
down the sides of the panels but the panels are such a
tight fit that the blade jams and buckles. My jigsaw

does
not have long enough blades and if it did they would
probably jam and buckle also.

cheers

Davy

Aren't the heads of the nails accessible?

Stuart, the heads of the nails are driven flush into the
softwood edge strips.
Davy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart, the heads of the nails are driven flush into the
softwood edge strips.
Davy

Slip a filling/stripping knife between the panel and post and wiggle
it until you've got enough play to get a padsaw in.

Or use a tack lifter or nail puller on the nails.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 08:42:22 -0600, Davy wrote:

Stuart Noble wrote in
:

Davy wrote:
[...]

Centre-punch the heads and drill 'em off, then use a small punch to drive
them in.

They're probably a bit rusted to the panels.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davy wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote in
:

Davy wrote:
I need to remove some fence panels that were erected on
earth without gravel boards by the previous owner of my
house.
I will install gravel boards and then re-use the panels.

The panels are nailed into the posts. Can anyone
recommend a method for removing the panels without
damaging them. I have tried running a loose hacksaw blade
down the sides of the panels but the panels are such a
tight fit that the blade jams and buckles. My jigsaw does
not have long enough blades and if it did they would
probably jam and buckle also.

cheers

Davy

Aren't the heads of the nails accessible?

Stuart, the heads of the nails are driven flush into the
softwood edge strips.

You could try prizing the edge strip away from the post, then knocking it
back, often the nails heads will pop enough for you to get a pry bar on.

Failing that, buy a Shark pry bar like this
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/212220

Larger B&Q's sell them. I've not found anything that works as well as this
brand. You can hammer the prongs under the nail & lever it out.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote in
:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 08:42:22 -0600, Davy wrote:

Stuart Noble wrote in
:

Centre-punch the heads and drill 'em off, then use a

small punch to drive
them in.

They're probably a bit rusted to the panels.

Peter,

I could try that but I don't have a lot of confidence that
I could drive a rusted-in nail 1" into a post just by
using a small punch.
DAvy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 05:13:12 -0600, Davy wrote:

PeterC wrote in
:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 08:42:22 -0600, Davy wrote:

Stuart Noble wrote in
:

Centre-punch the heads and drill 'em off, then use a

small punch to drive
them in.

They're probably a bit rusted to the panels.

Peter,

I could try that but I don't have a lot of confidence that
I could drive a rusted-in nail 1" into a post just by
using a small punch.
DAvy

Should be possible once the head is removed. Driving the nail through the
wood or moving the wood over the nail - same thing, relatively. It's just
that a sharp blow on the headless nail will utilise the mass of the fence
whereas trying to lever off a panel will probably break the panel.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Jan, 13:26, Davy wrote:
I need to remove some fence panels that were erected on
earth without gravel boards by the previous owner of my
house.
I will install gravel boards and then re-use the panels.

The panels are nailed into the posts. *Can anyone
recommend a method for removing the panels without
damaging them. *I have tried running a loose hacksaw blade
down the sides of the panels but the panels are such a
tight fit that the blade jams and buckles. *My jigsaw does
not have long enough blades and if it did they would
probably jam and buckle also.

Sounds like an ideal job for a reciprocating saw. I have this one
which works pretty well for the money:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/48640/...iprocating-Saw

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Davy, cant help you with this one. But seen your post about the
Normandy hubs, wondering if you would like to swap, as i have solid
axles and im looking for Quick release ones. Please give me an email
if your interested.
oh and i tried to send you a private message but it wouldn,t work, so
i thought i wold post here.

cheers
Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi, I need to remove my fence as my neighbour has put new ones. Coukd you help?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ng-535562-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 13:20:45 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

wrote

Hi, I need to remove my fence as my neighbour has put new ones. Coukd you
help?

Unlikely after 12 years, stupid.

But very likely that YOU trolling senile asshole will comment on EVERY
SINGLE such post anyway!

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes its probably rotted away by now!
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
wrote

Hi, I need to remove my fence as my neighbour has put new ones. Coukd you
help?

Unlikely after 12 years, stupid.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ng-535562-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) formulated the question :
Yes its probably rotted away by now!
Brian

Only 12 years ago, I wonder what sort of help the OP expected?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 3:36:44 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Hi, I need to remove my fence as my neighbour has put new ones. Coukd you help?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ng-535562-.htm

I think I would try a multi-tool with a decent metal cutting blade. If you can see where the nails are then just go straight in between post and panel.. I took a complete corrugated garage roof off by cutting through the fixing nails which were 5 - 6mm in diam. It was a few hours work and I only went through a couple of blades in the process, I cannot imagine fence nails being anywhere as thick or difficult to cut.

Richard