Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Protecting pipe insulation from mice....

Does anyone have any advice about protecting foam pipe insulation from
mice? Getting rid of the mice is the obvious answer, but is not always
100% possible as I live on a farm. I'm thinking about wrapping the
foam in a second layer of glass fibre insulation and taping it up, as
I know they are not so keen on getting into that.

Any advice gratefully received.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:21:19 -0800 (PST), Reuben_D wrote:

Does anyone have any advice about protecting foam pipe insulation from
mice?

No, they love the stuff don't they?

I'm thinking about wrapping the foam in a second layer of glass fibre
insulation and taping it up, as I know they are not so keen on getting
into that.

Didn't stop the little beggers making nests in our glass fibre insulation.
I suspect they like the foam 'cause it is nice to gnaw. Simply taping over
the foam might be enough but don't leave any sticky out bits to be
nibbled.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Reuben_D writes
Does anyone have any advice about protecting foam pipe insulation from
mice? Getting rid of the mice is the obvious answer, but is not always
100% possible as I live on a farm. I'm thinking about wrapping the
foam in a second layer of glass fibre insulation and taping it up, as
I know they are not so keen on getting into that.

I wonder if anti-climb paint[1] might discourage them, bad taste and it
would make a hell of a mess of their fur. Only suitable for out of reach
spots though.

[1] or the DIY alternative of 50/50 old engine oil and gloss paint
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Reuben_D" wrote in message
Does anyone have any advice about protecting foam pipe insulation from
mice? Getting rid of the mice is the obvious answer, but is not always
100% possible as I live on a farm. I'm thinking about wrapping the
foam in a second layer of glass fibre insulation and taping it up, as
I know they are not so keen on getting into that.

Any advice gratefully received.

R.

There have been several posts over the years in this group about rodents,
insulation and plastic pipes. In a shed last winter I had lengths of Hep20
& waste pipe and the dark grey insulation (and offcuts of T&E cable). The
only thing attacked by mice was the insulation. How about some sacrificial
lengths of insulation filled with poison ? (even better coated with
poison -but how to stick it on?)

PeterK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Jan, 19:27, "PeterK" wrote:
"Reuben_D" wrote in message

Does anyone have any advice about protecting foam pipe insulation from
mice? Getting rid of the mice is the obvious answer, but is not always
100% possible as I live on a farm. I'm thinking about wrapping the
foam in a second layer of glass fibre insulation and taping it up, as
I know they are not so keen on getting into that.

Any advice gratefully received.

R.

There have been several posts over the years in this group about rodents,
insulation and plastic pipes. *In a shed last winter I had lengths of Hep20
& waste pipe and the dark grey insulation (and offcuts of T&E cable). The
only thing attacked by mice was the insulation. *How about some sacrificial
lengths of insulation filled with poison ? (even better coated with
poison -but how to stick it on?)

PeterK

Yes - they don't seem interested in my plastic pipe work, just the
foam. Problem is I want to do this and then lay a floor, so I won't be
able to keep revisiting it. I will have hatches to put poison baits in
though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 14, 8:21*pm, Reuben_D wrote:
Does anyone have any advice about protecting foam pipe insulation from
mice? Getting rid of the mice is the obvious answer, but is not always
100% possible as I live on a farm. I'm thinking about wrapping the
foam in a second layer of glass fibre insulation and taping it up, as
I know they are not so keen on getting into that.

Any advice gratefully received.

R.

How about wrapping the said pipe and its foam insulation in fine wire
mesh ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Jan, 22:27, wrote:
On Jan 14, 8:21*pm, Reuben_D wrote:

Does anyone have any advice about protecting foam pipe insulation from
mice? Getting rid of the mice is the obvious answer, but is not always
100% possible as I live on a farm. I'm thinking about wrapping the
foam in a second layer of glass fibre insulation and taping it up, as
I know they are not so keen on getting into that.

Any advice gratefully received.

R.

How about wrapping the said pipe and its foam insulation in fine wire
mesh ?

Like chickenwire? Or did you have something else in mind?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:34:22 -0800 (PST), Reuben_D wrote:

How about wrapping the said pipe and its foam insulation in fine wire
mesh ?

Like chickenwire? Or did you have something else in mind?

Normal 25mm or even 12mm chicken wire would be to coarse. They'd nibble in
the holes and they can get through a 12mm holewith no difficulty what so
ever. Something with 5mm holes might do it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Jan, 08:34, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:34:22 -0800 (PST), Reuben_D wrote:
How about wrapping the said pipe and its foam insulation in fine wire
mesh ?

Like chickenwire? Or did you have something else in mind?

Normal 25mm or even 12mm chicken wire would be to coarse. They'd nibble in
the holes and they can get through a 12mm holewith no difficulty what so
ever. Something with 5mm holes might do it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Finest I've been able to find (unless I buy stainless, which is v.
expensive) is 6mm (1/4 inch) galvanised, so I've bought a roll to try
out. I'll be doing the job during the week - will report back.