Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting / protecting out door gas pipe

A recently installed outdoor backup power generator has 3/4 inch pipe
exposed to the local climate, which is snow and ice for about 6 months of
the year, and rain for another 2 months or so. The fittings have already
begun to show rusting even though they have only been installed for a few
weeks.

I am asking whether a protective coating of paint or something else makes
sense, and if so, what to use. I am also concerned that some of the
"obvious" choices like Rustoleum paint will seep into the fittings and
compromise the pipe dope / joint sealing. It seems that Rustoleum's primary
ingredient is "petroleum distillates" and this may act as a solvent on pipe
dope.

I appreciate any suggestions as to how to proceed.

Many thanks,

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:
A recently installed outdoor backup power generator has 3/4 inch pipe
exposed to the local climate, which is snow and ice for about 6 months of
the year, and rain for another 2 months or so. The fittings have already
begun to show rusting even though they have only been installed for a few
weeks.

I am asking whether a protective coating of paint or something else makes
sense, and if so, what to use. I am also concerned that some of the
"obvious" choices like Rustoleum paint will seep into the fittings and
compromise the pipe dope / joint sealing. It seems that Rustoleum's primary
ingredient is "petroleum distillates" and this may act as a solvent on pipe
dope.

I think it's OK to paint it. Any oil based paint has "petroleum
distillates" as the base. If you are worried then use an exterior
latex.

Posted to alt.home.repair

we use rustoleum on gas lines outside and in, 2 cotes lasts real well.
lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:38:17 -0500, "Smarty"
wrote:

A recently installed outdoor backup power generator has 3/4 inch pipe
exposed to the local climate, which is snow and ice for about 6 months of
the year, and rain for another 2 months or so. The fittings have already
begun to show rusting even though they have only been installed for a few
weeks.

I am asking whether a protective coating of paint or something else makes
sense, and if so, what to use. I am also concerned that some of the
"obvious" choices like Rustoleum paint will seep into the fittings and
compromise the pipe dope / joint sealing. It seems that Rustoleum's primary
ingredient is "petroleum distillates" and this may act as a solvent on pipe
dope.

I appreciate any suggestions as to how to proceed.

Many thanks,

Smarty

This what I was told by a Home Inspector. Anything down stream of the
meter [gas] is the home owner's responsibility. So I used an oil
based paint to match my house. As for solvents in the paint, I had to
work with common sense, or my version of it. Pipe dough exposed
is not doing anything, and any solvents in the paint will evaporate
before they had a chance to work on the dough sealing the threads.

Now I'm not a paint expert, just telling you what I did.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Painting is done all the time, in fact it is a legal requirement in
commercial/industrial installations to paint the gas pipes with bright
yellow paint to identify them. They normally use oil base Tremclad or
Rustoleum paint for this job. You can choose a colour to your liking.